Got the BEAR CAT running

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the BEAR CAT running

I finly got the Bear Cat running. First time I took compression Had 2 low cyls and then went back and did it again and they were high and the other 2 were low. Then had the starter draging went though that and got it working right. Got her to fire last night for about 1 min and a half. Found out what was wrong and fixed that. Then got it to run this moring for over a half hour. Redid compression and all are up to 150lbs. I sure sounds good now and its pumping good also.
    Nothing like hearing a motor come back to life.
    Mike aka pathfinderz1
    Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

All but my first Bearcat have had dragging starters. The top bushing is worn in all of them, is this what you found on yours?
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

yes the top bushing was woren But I pulled a and old trick to get me by for awhile. It and old trick I learnd in auto shop a long time ago. Is you turn the top plate around 180 degrees. The starter when engaged pushs out from the flywheel and wears on the opsite side so by turning it its pushing on the other side of the bushing. Right now I just need to get the motor running and see what else it might need and so far everyting is good.
      Did find the shifter is for the left side of the boat and the steering if on the right. So will have to get a shifter for it.
      Mike aka pathfinderz1
      Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Working...
      X