Towing the Bearcat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing the Bearcat

How do you guys tow your engine, tilted up or in the down position? I took mine out for the first time today and I have to tow with the engine tilted up. Last weekend I made a "transom saver", so the engine had been in the tilted position for over a week. When I started the engine, it was a cloud of smoke and running really rough as one, maybe two cylinders had filled with oil. Reminds me of my BMW R90/6 when it was left on the sidestand. I guess the fix is don't leave it tilted until you are ready to go! After the smoke had cleared it ran flawlessly, trolled perfectly and we caught a limit of trout on this rainy day. I have also attempted to make a flushing attachment which needs some tweaking but worked well enough to get the engine fired here at the house a couple weeks ago.
    Attached Files
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Dick,

I use a transom saver when I tow mine, keeping it as low as possible to minimize oil seepage into the cylinders. I'm a little paranoid about banging the lower unit on something when towing and the stock keeper is not anywhere near strong enough to tow with it supporting the engine. (In my opinion) I only leave the engine all the way up when launching and retrieving, and when it's at home I lower it.

Mine will smoke a little when first started after towing, the longer the tow the more smoke there is. I would tow with it as low as possible, only raising it enough to keep it from striking speed bumps, etc.

Tim

Comment

I have always used a transom saver myself.
      I also noticed that if my engine was tilted all the way up, she would also puff a little smoke.

Also have mine down at the moment. Checking things from top to bottom before I take her out this time.
      So far, just the lower carb was not pumping. New coil and condenser makes her start without the solenoid winging out all the time.

What a sweet motor
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Good idea, I think I'll adjust the saver to lower the engine a little more for towing purposes and make sure to lower the engine when parked. I towed all last year with a bar that slipped in the holes for the tilt bar. Two of my engines came with this. The problem with that was it didn't lock real good and I had to bungie to keep it in place. The saver really makes a good soild setup. Thanks for the replies!
        Dick Johnson
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I have a 2 X 6 with a 2 X 2 attached to it. The 2 X 6 sets in there nice. If I want it higher I set the 2 X 2 end in to raise it higher. I can't completly tilt my Homelite up to the lock position with the metal holder because it will hit the metal backing on my pontoon.
          One good thing I don't have to transport my pontoon to far to get it in the water here.
          But for a Homelite on a boat I would use a transom saver.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 11470
            How do you guys tow your engine, tilted up or in the down position? I took mine out for the first time today and I have to tow with the engine tilted up. Last weekend I made a "transom saver", so the engine had been in the tilted position for over a week. When I started the engine, it was a cloud of smoke and running really rough as one, maybe two cylinders had filled with oil. Reminds me of my BMW R90/6 when it was left on the sidestand. I guess the fix is don't leave it tilted until you are ready to go! After the smoke had cleared it ran flawlessly, trolled perfectly and we caught a limit of trout on this rainy day. I have also attempted to make a flushing attachment which needs some tweaking but worked well enough to get the engine fired here at the house a couple weeks ago.
            Hey DJ, thats a good idea, and I like the flushing attachment. I've just picked up a couple of 55's that I'll make one good from. You are not too far from me, I'm in Damascus, can you pm me your info? I'd like to pick your brain on some things. I can do many mechanical things that I could share.

Comment

Originally posted by darmandude, post: 12010
              Hey DJ, thats a good idea, and I like the flushing attachment. I've just picked up a couple of 55's that I'll make one good from. You are not too far from me, I'm in Damascus, can you pm me your info? I'd like to pick your brain on some things. I can do many mechanical things that I could share.
              I'm trying to figure out if I can pm you, I can receive them but not sure if I can send them. Funny I was in Damascus yesterday for BBQ.
              Dick Johnson
              '57 Evinrude 18hp
              '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
              '72 Johnson 6hp
              '65 Homelite 55
              '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
              '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Nope it appears I can't pm you.
                Dick Johnson