Lower unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit

Bearcat #7 had some problems which I suspected before purchase so there were no surprises here. I'm glad the PO couldn't get this thing started, he would have destroyed the lower unit in a short period of time. The prop and drive shaft seals were in backwards. Looks like I have one bearing to replace. Upper case has a crack, lower case has some pitting, shortened skeg, but is sound. Gears are in good shape.
    Attached Files
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Dick, I have a lower shaft bearing and race leftover from Bearcat days. It's brand new, never been used. If your interested, send me an email.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Any idea what would cause a crack like that ? ?

Dave

Comment

NOS Bearing and the cracked case

Steve, since I'm only a web member I cannot pm you but I think I've got your email address on my other computer. I'll check and see if I can get back to you.

Dave, I hadn't given any thought to the crack until you asked and I think I have the answer. All of the drains were plugged with sand and I believe water was trapped inside unable to escape and during the winter it froze busting the case. So I'd suggest to everyone to make sure your drains are clear!
        Dick Johnson
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Crack and skeg repair

Looks like this lower unit is about to go back together, I have repaired the crack in the upper case and welded on a piece to extend the broken skeg. Been using aluminum stick rod which works pretty good once you get the hang of it! Picked up the seals, o-rings, two bearings that needed replacement (upper needle and lower pinion thrust).
          Attached Files
          Dick Johnson
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...