First outing of 2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First outing of 2014

While most have put their boats away for the season, this year mine is just beginning. Last year I got bummed out with the crowds and decided to wait till after labor day. My lake is stocked with some trophy sized trout this week so I'm preparing the boat for it's first run this Thursday and Friday. A tuning and synchronization of the carbs have it idling at 400 rpm pretty smoothly. So my last check was to run it in a barrel to make sure it was pumping water. Then the bad news, water in the lower unit, damn! Changed it out this morning with a known good one now we are good to go.

Looks like the seals under the water pump failed on the other unit. I have replaced them and will test it this weekend, hopefully that will cure the problem.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

I ran it Thurs and Friday, no high speed runs to speak of, just a consistent 500 rpm for hrs. It ran like a sewing machine. Might have use 1.5 gallons of gas at an average speed of 1.5mph over the two days. At that speed we limited out for trout on Thursday, Friday we had one more person onboard and were shy of our limit by two fish. Maybe 4 other boats out on the lake, it was an awesome two days!
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
    X