Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 hp Evinrude Lower Unit

Hey OMC fans,
    Tore apart our Commodore`s super clean 1983 Evinrude 60 hp(2 cyl) and after dropping the lower unit,found the shift rod no longer hooked like it should.
    Hoping this doesn`t bring more surprises but it may be meaning a teardown......these lowers look like a 70 hp 3 cyl type but have smaller shafts and props.With almost as much HP as the 70,these are known to fail.
    Not looking forward to putting a torch to such a clean motor but being stuck in forward is not going to fly.
    Will add some pics tomorrow.....nee to get some white gloves!
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

tim,
    do you think the lower will work for my 60hp rude mod #60073d? or atleast the gears? mine will go into reverse no problem but when i put it in forward all it does is grinds only in the water under load. If at home with the muffs everything works great?

unknown year 10ft hydro
    1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Comment

I would try adjusting the shift rod first. First see if eveything matchs up in natural. Then check it for forward and then reverse. If it still jumps out of gear in forward then I would say the shift dog is shot. If that is it then look for some good gears or a complet lower unit.
      Mike aka pathfinderz1
      Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Ron,
        Treat this one like an assy.Don`t go inside......
        Not sure the 85 hp lower will work for you,the 50/60 s use a smaller case.
        I`d look for a mechanical type shift motor and proceed from there.

Time to go see Norm Boddy.....after his trip to Mayfield Lake.
        He`ll have one for you.
        TimM
        ps Just remembered I actually have one you could try.....it was bought by a buddy who didn`t realize it had wires for the shifting.I can lug it up to Edmonds where I`m working at the Marina.
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 10911
          Ron,
          Treat this one like an assy.Don`t go inside......
          Not sure the 85 hp lower will work for you,the 50/60 s use a smaller case.
          I`d look for a mechanical type shift motor and proceed from there.

Time to go see Norm Boddy.....after his trip to Mayfield Lake.
          He`ll have one for you.
          TimM
          ps Just remembered I actually have one you could try.....it was bought by a buddy who didn`t realize it had wires for the shifting.I can lug it up to Edmonds where I`m working at the Marina.

tim that would be awesome how much do u want for it?

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

swappin lowers

ok guys just picked up a lower unit from tim today and got the old one off have some pics not sure if the water pump is good or wut not but here is wut i have.the one one the right is the one going on the one on the left is the old one.
            Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

unless the fingers stand strigh out and are not cerved. Replace the impeller. Take all the best parts and make one good lower unit.
              Mike aka pathfinderz1
              Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Working...
              X