Evinrude 35 hp Tachometer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude 35 hp Tachometer

The restoration of my '56 Shell Lake is finished. I fired up the Evinrude 35hp yesterday and that when fine. However I'm getting no reading from my tachometer.

I've got a new Airguide "Series 10" 1030 tach. From the research I had done prior, it should work with my motor. In fact on the side of the box it lists the application as 1977 Evinrude/Johnson 9-35 hp. My motor is a 1980.

I've double checked the wiring at the engine. I used a multimeter and I can see current and fluctuation at the contact points.

In trying to trouble shoot, I found another application chart online that listed a 2030 as the model for my motor. Anyone know the difference between an Airguide 1030 and 2030?

Any advise? Is there a way to test a tach?

Thanks -Zachary

Hi Zach,

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot one of those tachs but maybe this will help???

http://www.classicboatwork.com/class..._Instruct.html

Is this the same chart you've already seen?
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Yeah that's the chart. And that's the problem. That chart says to use a 2030 model whereas the box for the 1030 I presently have says it works with my motor. I'm wondering what the difference is. Could it be the 2000 series for even number of cylinders vs. 1000 series for odd? If you look at the list I can't really detect a pattern for which motors get the 2000 series vs. 1000 series.

Comment

Zach,
        The 1980 OMC should have a red plug harness under the cover in which will be the Grey lead that is the Tach feeder.You can usually get the same wire at the keyswitch if it doesn`t have the 3 wire rubber plug near the keyswitch.Purple is 12 volt when key is on,and black will be the ground of course.If no harness,then look for the terminal strip.....
        Run it and see what you get at idle.
        If the "P" setting isn`t adj. then you`ll need the right tach for sure.If RPMS are weird or seem in half,then you`ll need to reset the P setting or get another tach.
        The tach should hit 1500 to 2000 if throttled in Nuetral briefly but realize there is no-load on the mainshaft so be brief.
        What controls do you have?
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
        X