Testing My Johnson Soon. Any Tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing My Johnson Soon. Any Tips?

So I'm thinking of cold starting this baby on Sunday in a Garbage can of water any warnings and/or tips I should be aware of for a first timer?

Here are the specs :

1966 OSC Johnson Motor
    Super Sea Horse
    Electric Start
    2 Cylinder 40 H.P. @ 1500 RPM
    Model # RK-28B
    Bore Stroke in Inches 3.19x2.75
    Dry Weight 154 lbs.
    Engine Size in Cubic Inches 43.9
    Rated RPM 4500

As far as gas : oil ratio I was told 50:1. Does this sound about right?

Thanks in advance to all you Motor enthusiasts helping out an amateur!

50:1 is fine, use good oil. Check the lower unit oil as well. Those are good motors, just a little heavy. chuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Grab a few quarts of "oil dispersant" at your local BP, you are going to need it.

Let me know if you need any free parts, getting ready to scrap a few of these.

Comment

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 11430
        Grab a few quarts of "oil dispersant" at your local BP, you are going to need it.

Let me know if you need any free parts, getting ready to scrap a few of these.
        Really....I am getting ready to try to get my two running. Both ran about 4 years ago. They were twins on the rear of a Skagit.
        Might need some parts myself...
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hopefully you drained the carbs before they were stored. My boat came home from it's last outing in '93 only to sit for the next 16yrs. I did nothing to it for storage. Last year I fired up the 40hp Johnson after cleaning the dried sludge of the fuel mixture out of the carb and it ran fine. I had used that engine regularly for 8 yrs and it was very reliable.
          Dick Johnson
          1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Make sure you have Fire or Ignition before fueling up.
            Coax it a bit with a shot of Fogging oil thru the carbs.It will run on this stuff with no fuel line even hooked up.
            This should save wear and tear on the starter and battery.If it dies quickly after it sputters and then does nothing it will mean your carbs aren`t working or are clogged.
            Squeeze the primer as it runs to see if it stays firm.
            If carbs weren`t drained or checked,open each drain and purge with fresh fuel BEFORE any starting.See if any rust or goo comes out,spray carb cleaner inside if you suspect grime is present or better ,pull bowls and know you aren`t going to jam the inlets.
            Purge the fuel line before clicking it to motor,gas in the lines always goes south before the fuel in the tank itself.
            If you crank it and nothing happens(with good spark and known fuel),advance throttle until it sputters.
            Goodluck,
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 11480
              Make sure you have Fire or Ignition before fueling up.
              Coax it a bit with a shot of Fogging oil thru the carbs.It will run on this stuff with no fuel line even hooked up.
              This should save wear and tear on the starter and battery.If it dies quickly after it sputters and then does nothing it will mean your carbs aren`t working or are clogged.
              Squeeze the primer as it runs to see if it stays firm.
              If carbs weren`t drained or checked,open each drain and purge with fresh fuel BEFORE any starting.See if any rust or goo comes out,spray carb cleaner inside if you suspect grime is present or better ,pull bowls and know you aren`t going to jam the inlets.
              Purge the fuel line before clicking it to motor,gas in the lines always goes south before the fuel in the tank itself.
              If you crank it and nothing happens(with good spark and known fuel),advance throttle until it sputters.
              Goodluck,
              TimM
              Good information Tim.
              Me, I tend to think of this After I pump rotten gas and crap into the jets.
              I have my little 15 kicker that I really don't remember how I put it away after using it to get my 20 back to the dock.
              I am afraid I put her away dirty so now I have to deal with that.
              Part of my prep for winter is just to fire them up and run all the fuel out but being up here in all this salt air, Fogging is needed I find..

Thanks again for the Reality check Tim.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for all the tips fellas. I knew there would be things I'd look over and in the process make things harder for myself. Now i'm Just waiting for My Johnson Evinrude Outboard 1956-1970 1-2 cyl Service & Repair Manual from Seloc to get here so I can learn how to do these things!

So whats the check list?
                1. Change Impeller
                2. Change Spark Plugs
                3. Change Lower Unit Oil
                4. drain carb
                5. clean carb (should I just get a rebuild kit?)
                6. Purge carb with fresh fuel
                7. Coax with fogging oil
                8. Test for ignition
                9. Fill tanks with gas/oil
                10. Purge Fuel Line before clicking it into the motor
                11. Crank it!

I've also been told the needle pin on the float valve is often needs to be replaced. Not sure what it does or where it is though? Found a website with a parts diagram specific to my engine.

Andrew

Comment

Separating the wheat from the chaf...

Hey Andrew you are doing a great job,

The guys that love fussing with outboards as a lifetime avocation will have a laundry list of prudent items that you should follow:

On the other hand, for the sake of time and money you could pull the plugs, squirt in some WD-40(spray some on the carb linkages and starter gear while you are at it) or similar, turn the engine over to make sure it spins freely, replace plugs, and pour a few teaspoons of premix down the carb. If that sucker doesn't show signs of coming to life...you should reconsider just how much effort you should expend.

Assuming it wasn't put away broken or abused years ago, your triage will have shown that systems are functioning and the patient should be admitted to the E.R.

Rock On,

Here are some photos of how they did it at the Johnson factory circa 1959:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Andrew ,
                    Do check for water in lower unit before spending much time or $.Verfiy Compression in each hole and then proceed.
                    I hate WD-40 as it is a Solvant and it wipes out any greased linkage.Best for breaking bolts to be thrown away and on fishing lures.....Tri-Flow,Fogging oil or FluidFilm are the best "miricle lubes"as they have no solvants.....(sorry Greg).
                    2 stroke oil down each cyl and even poured down a carb while motor is layed down will get crankshaft and rods lubed as they should be (but don`t go crazy if it is bolted upright).Turn by hand slowly clockwise and with plugs out for safety.
                    The OMCs use one size inlet /Seat for under 40 hp ,and then another for motors under 40 hp.....pretty common and easy to swap.
                    These usually leak when primed if stuck,or don`t allow any fuel flow at all.
                    The carb kit will get the gaskets up-to-date since older ones won`t handle today`s gas.Black is usually older,light tan or brown will be the newest and best.If you open the carb bowl,you MUST change the gaskets or they`ll leak later.
                    The book will show alot but if you can simply open each carb drain screw and then test purge to see what comes out,you`ll possibly find you only need to gas it up.If only clean gas drains onto a white towel,then go for it!
                    TimM
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Mattson's advice may be better, but my outboard pictures were cooler...
                      Attached Files

Comment

those pictures are great!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 11521
                          if you can simply open each carb drain screw and then test purge to see what comes out,you`ll possibly find you only need to gas it up.If only clean gas drains onto a white towel,then go for it!
                          TimM
                          I'm definitely going to do this first...hopefully she'll be in good shape. She's been stored indoors during winters and the previous owner kept good care of it.

==knock on wood==

Comment

Uhg....Man I was hoping that I could just turn the key and I'd see things moving and at least trying to start. However the key turn resulted in nada. I think something is wrong with the ignition box. I'm taking it to an outboard shop....booo.

Comment

Try wiggling the handle as you turn key.
                              Verify 12 volt on Solenoid from battery,see if the ground is giving a ground at all locations,including solenoid (from keyswitch).
                              You can jump across the solenoid easily with insulated screwdriver and key ON.
                              Look up "keyswitch Elimination test" for OMC pre 1973 and it should give an easy test to try......
                              Starter can be tested with Jumper cables,it will arc if not touched boldly ,but do be brief with no solenoid.
                              The starter may have sat in one place too long,usually one turn and it can be resurrected.
                              Poke around with a Prick tester and see if you can save some $.....
                              TimM
                              SeaRay 175BR
                              Hi-Laker lapline
                              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                              X