Another toy, 1958 Johnson CD15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another toy, 1958 Johnson CD15

After sending the 15hp Johnson to it's new owner I had my eye on this 5.5hp Johnson. It was cheap and I guess I needed another project. Went through the carb, had to buy ignition coils and it's up and running. Runs pretty sweet too! I just have convert it to a single hose gas tank, I have a Merc fuel pump I'm going to use and I have reseal the gearcase to complete this project.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Single line fuel tank conversion

I finally got around to finishing this conversion up yesterday. I had a fuel pump from a Merc 100 laying around, made some modifications to it and found a place to mount it. I had previously made the necessary modifications to the intake manifold to change from pressure to pulse. Fired it off yesterday afternoon and it worked perfectly. The engine seems mechanically sound, but I've got some tuning to do to get it to run correctly. Been a while since I've worked on one of these!
    Dick Johnson
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Yeah, those old Johnsons and Evinrudes are pretty well built engines. I was impressed with that Fleetwin I got. There was a lot of enineering and thinking that went into them. I like em' simple, and the very cool styling.
      '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

There is one thing a lot of people keep forgetting about these old motors. Most places you can only run them 3 months out of the year and out of that 3 months they may only got a weeks runing so a motor that 52 years old has only a years use on it. Hell thats just broken in. Plus back than they made them good. Just like the old cars. Just take care of it and it will out last you.
        Mike aka pathfinderz1
        Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

'63 Johnson CD 20 parts engine

Surfing CL this morning I scored this 5.5 Johnson. The guy said it ran. Brought it home,carb problems, but it did fire off briefly. Off came the carb and a quick cleaning. It fired right off and runs really nice. I'm going to combine the CD15 with this and should have good runner. It has a good sealed lower unit which I need.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRmxTOMD1Fs"]YouTube - 1963 Johnson CD 20[/nomedia]
          Dick Johnson
          '57 Evinrude 18hp
          '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
          '72 Johnson 6hp
          '65 Homelite 55
          '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
          '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
          X