No announcement yet.

OMC odd-fire 6 for a deluxe 17-options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC odd-fire 6 for a deluxe 17-options?

I just picked up a '64 Johnson Deluxe, it needs a lot of cosmetic resoration, but I bought it w/o a motor. I believe it had a Buick odd-fire 6 cyl I/O but only the stren drive is left. Will other 6-cyl bolt up to the transom plate?

Can anyone offer any ideas of options for a power plant for this beauty?

Dead in the water,
    Dan

Dan ,
    One option my buddy Kurt took was to sell the drive for parts,and apply the $ to a transom bracket you can adj to the flat stern.
    Putting a 90 hp Mercury 6 cyl got him almost to 48 MPH.
    He listed his for $800 recently but he has sold the Mercury OB.
    We got him $300.00 for the drive that as in a few boxes but had a certain Gimbal Bearing assy that was worth $300 to the buyer.
    That item is almost as important as the engine.
    The OB option is the easy way out of course.....a good inboard from a donor boat is aways possible.
    Bottom line is the hull will take almost anything you throw on it or in it for that matter.Even water.......
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Hi Dan...

Going through the same exercise with my '63 OMC 17 Delux...the decision was made easier for me due to the fact that there was no motor or OD...

I built up the transom to approx 2 3/4" with wood and glass and picked up a 5 1/2" CMC manual jackplate with 5" of vertical travel for mid $200.00 range...with a 1999 90hp Yamaha my total was still alot less than the I/O options I was quoted...I'm not a mechanic so I would have been paying for everything to be done...

on a related note I just picked up a '65 Sweet 16 that does have the original inboard engine (88hp) and OD on it...I'm looking at a similar conversion for it if the cost of getting and keeping it running is going to be prohibitive... from what I hear those electric shift stringer mounted systems were either great or problematic and the parts are rapidly becoming NLA...

Have fun...they're cool boats...let's compare rebuild notes sometime

...Ric
      '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
      '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
      '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I have a lot of research to do with respect to the out drive and motor, I had a friend tell me the old OMC stern drives were nothing but trouble. Maybe a newer set up would be the ticket, I sure would like to kep the cool rear I/O cowling. I am in no hurry because I really bought it for a retirement project fot next year. So I have some time to figure it out.

Thanks again
        Dan

Comment

Here's a few links to help with your research:

http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/

http://www.omcboats.org/forum/index.php

Have fun...Ric
          '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
          '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
          '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Working...
          X