Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns a Johnson

Looks like I will be the first to start a thread in the new section

I have a 1958 Super Seahorse 35hp Johnson powering my 14 ft Reinell. It runs good and powers the little boat with ease.. I will need to find someone this winter to look it over and do some work on it as last year I could not get it to idle once in the water (would stall)leading to some difficultiy in launching and docking.

So who else is running a Johnson, especially a vintage one...

Wow Ken, that is one pretty boat and motor!

Comment

Darn it Ken, you beat me to the first post in the new OMC forum!

Beautiful boat and motor combo! I had Norm Boddy (Norm's Outboard Repair) go through my Johnson 35's and was very happy with the results. He really knows these old outboards. Last I spoke with him he was enjoying his fancy new motorhome and taking on less work though. You might convince him to take a look at that beauty over the winter. Check out the resource guide on the mainpage for his contact info.

Or... I'm sure someone on here can give you some good advice if you want to tackle it yourself.
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Wow! that's a good looking Johnson. Johnson 35's are my specialty. I'd be happy to tune it up this winter.
        I have a 1956 Johnson 5 1/2. Good shape runs great!
        Tim
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

I have had pretty good luck with Hilton Outboard Repair in the Tacoma area. They did a tune up and adjsutments on my Evinrude last year. They are on Highway 16 on the second exit after getting off I-5.
          BRIAN FRANCHINI
          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

I have a very nice 1986 Johnson 50 hp on Rosario and a running 1951 5 hp TN which is just setting around the garage.
            Jerry
            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

guilty

1977 235 on a bayliner. Not too proud of the combo, but a great tubing machine!
              Attached Files
              Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

I have somewhere between 20 and 25 johnsons and evinrudes for 1/2 to 75hp and for 1940 to 1977. I just love OMC motors so easy to work on.
                Mike aka pathfinderz1
                Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

I have a 40hp sea-horse, not sure what year though

Comment

Even I,...Have an evil Johnny

Security cameras caught this lil Johnny-Rude attempting to gain the secrets of performance and good looks from the Mercury Camp.
                    It was captured and put on display to warn all other evil Johnnys to STAY CLEAR!!

Doc F'Merc
                    Attached Files
                    Doc Frankenmerc
                    Keeping Mercs alive since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Frankenmerc, post: 7776
                      Security cameras caught this lil Johnny-Rude attempting to gain the secrets of performance and good looks from the Mercury Camp.
                      It was captured and put on display to warn all other evil Johnnys to STAY CLEAR!!

Doc F'Merc

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Frankenmerc, post: 7776

Doc F'Merc

Hey Thom,

We all know the real reason the Johnson is in the picture... Merc owners need a reliable backup motor to get back to the dock.

Mark
                        Silverdale, WA.
                        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Mark, Sorry to beat you to the punch...

thanks for the compliments, I am lucky the boat and motor are in such great original shape.

thanks for the tips/ offers to get it working in tip top shape for next boating season.. By them the garage I am building will be complete and I will have time to spend plenty of hours enjoying and exploring the waters..

Comment

Originally posted by Boones, post: 7651
                            Looks like I will be the first to start a thread in the new section

I have a 1958 Super Seahorse 35hp Johnson powering my 14 ft Reinell. It runs good and powers the little boat with ease.. I will need to find someone this winter to look it over and do some work on it as last year I could not get it to idle once in the water (would stall)leading to some difficultiy in launching and docking.

So who else is running a Johnson, especially a vintage one...
                            Newbie from Wisconsin. I thought I heard someone on the internet speaking about Johnsons...

Was born and raised on Johnsons, so therefore there has always been an affinity toward them. When I hear an outboard running in the distance today, fond memories of days gone by usually surface with a Johnson somewhere in the memory.

The enjoyment associated with the manufacturer led me to start with the purchase of a 1925 Model A Johnson many years ago. Great runner and it even still has it's original leather tiller grip:

Recently finished up on a 1956 Aristocraft 13.5' SeaFlash powered by a 1956 Javelin. Starts readily and gets up on plane without missing a beat, however the best part is within it's idling reliability when approaching a dock landing. Hasn't let me down yet by unexpectedly dieing.

So, what does one do in the winter when the lakes are frozen over in Wisconsin? Well, how about focusing upon the hardwater Johnson models. Johnson created a great line from 1965 through 1976, however I've focused upon the earlier vintage ones. With its 1966 design appearance along with the color scheme, it's always been a crowd pleaser. Twin opposed, 22 cubic inch engine with 14 horses packed within , this machine has always been reliable, especially even at 10 below zero. The only big problem for me is the weight. If stuck in a drift, may as well leave it until spring.

With its built in dependability and also reliability for family fun, who wouldn't want a Johnson???

BTW, Great site.

Comment

I got a Johnson Cutter that would look nice with your sled. Same color.

Comment

Working...
                              X