No announcement yet.

85 hp johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok got the lower unit taken care of found the oil on sale for 9 bucks a quart so i stocked up lol ne who i have been looking thru the wiring diagrams in my book and cant find the one for this motor does anyone possibly have a diagram my book goes from 68 85hp to 72 85 w/alternator and this one does not have an alternator.just wanna make sure all the wires to the ignition and choke and temp light and wut not correct.
    thanks again,
    ron

unknown year 10ft hydro
    1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Comment

more motor questions

hey all so i had my motor running the otherday and i went to start it today and it wouldn't start.is there a way to test the solinoid? i have power going in from the battery but nothing coming out to the ignition or starter it's a newer solinoid just got put on a few months ago? also is there a way to use jumper wires to the solinoid?
      thanks again,
      ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Your solenoid is just a big switch. You have battery power to one side, with a large wire, batt cable preferred, jump from the battery side to the other and see if she spins. Elect shift need to be in N or F. Is your Battery fully charged?
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

yeah battery is fully charged the solinoid is new well newer the person i got the motor from put it on about a month or so ago.and as far as i know it's in neutral the remote is centerd and at that point when i move the other little lever that says start into position it is at that point as well on the powerhead.i have power to the choke but no go on the motor i'll try with the jumper in the morning. if the jumper doesn't work does that mean somethin else? the motor ran when i picked it up it just wouldn't go in gear and when i got it home there was maybe a few ounces of oil in the lower and little water.so i changed all that started her up and she worked fine.whent to take the boat for the first run and she had nothing grrrrrrrrr lol

thanks again,
          ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Ron,
            I had a similar situation with a Merc I had, I had power to everything but got nothing when I turned the key. Turned out to be nothing more than dirty connections at the battery, it would carry enough juice to work the choke, lights, etc., but couldn't handle the amperage to crank the starter. I cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends with a wire brush until they had a nice shine and that took care of it.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by ron12, post: 8183
              yeah battery is fully charged the solinoid is new well newer the person i got the motor from put it on about a month or so ago.and as far as i know it's in neutral the remote is centerd and at that point when i move the other little lever that says start into position it is at that point as well on the powerhead.i have power to the choke but no go on the motor i'll try with the jumper in the morning. if the jumper doesn't work does that mean somethin else? the motor ran when i picked it up it just wouldn't go in gear and when i got it home there was maybe a few ounces of oil in the lower and little water.so i changed all that started her up and she worked fine.whent to take the boat for the first run and she had nothing grrrrrrrrr lol

thanks again,
              ron
              For the most part, you have two big wires and one small wire on a solenoid
              One big wire is hot from the battery (hot when the main battery switch, if used, is turned on) The other big wire goes to the starter.
              The small wire is the Trigger or Starter wire.

If you use a jumper wire ( some just use a old screw driver or something like that) to jump between the one Big wire from the battery to the small wire. It should click and turn over the engine.
              If it does not click, chances are its a bad solenoid. If it Does click, then it might be the starter is starting to go bad.

Anyway, the solenoid is nothing but a Large Amp switch. The small wire is what Closes the circuit and puts the large Amperage to the starter as so it will turn.

To check the Starter, just use some Automotive jumper cables and hook up to the battery or Battery side of your solenoid and just Touch the starter were the big wire hooks up to it.
              If the starter is OK, then it will just turn the engine over.

So, if by jumping the solenoid like above the starter turns over the engine, then you might have an issue with the neutral safety switch.
              Meaning the linkage needs adjusted to place the shifting controls in the Neutral area.

Hope this helps you.....
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

ok i will try that on this solinoid it actually has two big wires two small wires and two medium wires the medium are on the batt side along with the fat bat cable then two wires on the front one to the igition and the other to the junction box i guess it is and then one fat one to the starter.
                ron

ok so i just did the jumper trick did not get anything jumping from the battery side to the little wire but when i touched the starter it turned over nicely. also how do you adjust the shift linkage to make sure everything is right?
                ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

You have no linkage to adjust. Your elect shift lower has no shift adjustment.
                  You know your starter works, now with your test light, you need to have power on the starter side of your solenoid on all those posts when your switch is turned to start. If you don't, check the batt side posts, if you have power to all of them, bad solenoid, if you don't , switch or wire harness problem. Your test light is your best friend now.
                  ChuckB
                  "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Originally posted by ron12, post: 8193
                    ok i will try that on this solinoid it actually has two big wires two small wires and two medium wires the medium are on the batt side along with the fat bat cable then two wires on the front one to the igition and the other to the junction box i guess it is and then one fat one to the starter.
                    ron

ok so i just did the jumper trick did not get anything jumping from the battery side to the little wire but when i touched the starter it turned over nicely. also how do you adjust the shift linkage to make sure everything is right?
                    ron
                    If its the electronic shift, I have no clue. If its the push buttons, a button or switch maybe ?
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

yeah i figured out why it wouldn't start the ignition was bad it turned over just fine by jumpin the coil and starter replaced the igniton and it works great sometimes doesn't wanna start but it runs yay finally lol.
                      ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Working...
                      X