Puget Sound, End to End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slo-mo, post: 12859
    McCrain and I purchased a wood hulled '59 Bryant 20' Express with the sole purpose of getting on the Sound---this Summer (or more immediately, to run Puget Sound End to End event).

Since we would likely murder each other after four hours togetherCutUp1, we will be trading off use of this unrestored beauty. Holly and I are planning to launch at Everett, hopefully with Steve Kiesel and others??? If parking is an issue, possibly Edmonds?

FYI: Tim McCrain will be out of town that weekend, so all of you holdouts can participate in peace and quiet:cool1:. Looking forward to cruising the sound, classic style.

P.S. We are fitting the Homelite I bought from Steve last year, so our top speed should be 25mph or so...with great mileage of course!

No respect, I get no respect ...

Comment

Me, too!

I want to join in too... I would probably launch at Point Defiance early and run north until I run into someone. I might consider driving further north (Shilshole or ?) to buddy up. Suggestions?? -Ken

Comment

PS end to end

Can't make it, I have family obligations. Maybe the Tollycraft will be ready for next year,hope so. Have fun and be safe. Andy

Comment

Ken....

Ken -

Glad to hear you can make it...

If you launch at Point Defiance, you'll want to run up Colvos Passage toward Blake Island, and maybe hang out there until we arrive. Or if you put your boat in at Shilshole or West Seattle, you can run straight across to Bainbridge for the rendezvous, since the northern contingent will be meeting near the Kingston ferry dock and proceeding south along the western shore of the Sound, past Bainbridge and Blake Island, down Colvos Passage, through the Narrows to Day Island Marina, where we'll have a refueling (and maybe lunch) stop.

See you out there somewhere!

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Seattle launch option

Ken ,
            We can buddy up from 1 st ave or meet near the north end of Vashon Island.Southworth will be more concealed from weather.
            Kings are late and should be around for anybody wanting to drown a herring or tow a Squid or spoon.
            I`ll be gearing up and can monitor 68 on the VHF.
            Not many boats coming from West Seattle,which has nice docks but is salty and tough on trailers.I use the Freshwater and rough it when low Tide when 4WD is a must.
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

One Week Until Puget Sound Run (!)

Each time we've done the Puget Sound, End to End run it's been a ball, with great water conditions, dry and warm weather, and a nice, relaxed pace that allowed everyone to cruise together over the entire distance--or whatever part of it members wanted to experience with their own boats.

This year should be no exception...except that it appears we'll have a bigger turnout than for any of the past Puget Sound runs. The event takes place next Saturday and Sunday, August 28-29, and involves running from north Puget Sound to Olympia, and back.

So far, here's who is planning to participate:

Greg and Holly Lamb, aboard the Lamb-McCrain 1959 Bryant cruiser, launching in north Sound;

Chuck Carey, with his recently-acquired Skagit 20' Offshore, launching at Edmonds;

Greg James, running his 17' Skagit Express and also launching at Edmonds. (Last time, Chuck and Greg were in the water around 8:30 a.m.; they are planning the same schedule this time);

Steve Kiesel, Seafair Sedan, also launching with Chuck and Greg (?);

Ken Cook, with his 20' Skagit Tyee, launching either at Point Defiance in Tacoma, or maybe somewhere in the Seattle area;

Tim Mattson, launching in Seattle (Duwamish River or West Seattle), and perhaps rendezvousing with Ken Cook, then the rest of us;

Lauryn, Chris and Dylan Taylor of Whidbey Island, launching there and running south to rendezvous with the rest of us off of the Kingston ferry terminal;

Marty Loken, 1958 Skagit 17' inboard, launching at Kingston Marina by 8:30 and waiting there for others to come down from Whidbey, and across from Edmonds.

Ingvar Carlson, who cannot be with us on Saturday but will launch his boat on Sunday and join us for at least a portion of the northbound return trip. (Ingvar: Are you planning to launch in Gig Harbor, or....?)

We should plan to meet off of the Kingston ferry dock by about 9:30 a.m. and continue southbound as a fleet, cruising along the eastern (Seattle) side of Bainbridge Island, past Eagle Harbor, and down to Blake Island...where we'll meet up with anyone launching in the Seattle area. (No matter where you're launching, please try to be offshore from Blake Island Marine State Park--northeast corner of the island--by about 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.

We'll then cruise along the western shore of Vashon Island, down Colvos Passage, probably reaching the Narrows Bridge by about noon. We'll have a pit stop at Day Island Marina, just south of the Narrows Bridge, reaching Day Island's fuel dock by roughly 12:30 p.m.

From there, we'll enjoy a nice run through South Sound, passing Fox Island, Eagle Island and other attractions on our way to Olympia. If all goes well, we should be in Olympia by mid- to late afternoon on Saturday. After stretching our legs in the downtown area, we'll head for Saturday's overnight destination, either Jarrells Cove Marine State Park on Hartstene Island (due north of Olympia), or Penrose Point Marine State Park (not far from McNeil Island, northeast of Olympia). (Members can decide where they want to overnight after we all get to Olympia. Usually, Saturday's final destination depends on what time we get to Olympia, how much more boating folks want to do, etc., but the Marine State Parks are a quieter overnight stop than downtown Olympia...so we usually push on after reaching the State Capitol.)

Throughout the weekend, we'll all monitor VHF Channel 69. We should stay within visual distance of each other, and we'll cruise at the comfort level of the slowest boat...whether that's 14mph, 18 or 24mph. (Usually, when cruising as a group, we maintain speeds in the 18-20 mph range, except of course when we're exploring quiet back bays, no-wake zones or small islands along the way.)

So, to summarize the schedule, folks launching anywhere north of Seattle should plan to reach the Kingston ferry dock rendezvous point by about 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Our second rendezvous point will be Blake Island, around 10:30 a.m., and we should reach the Narrows Bridge in Tacoma by roughly noon-12:30, stopping to top off fuel tanks at Day Island Marina by about 12:30. The cruise through South Sound to Olympia will take 3-4 hours, and we should be to our final overnight destination by early evening on Saturday.

Sunday morning, we'll probably depart Jarrells Cove or Penrose Point by about 9:30 a.m., making the Narrows Bridge by the noon-ish slack current, and then we'll head north toward our various launch ramps, pulling out of the water by mid- to late afternoon on Sunday.

Please be sure to bring all required equipment and safety gear, and let us know if you'll have a VHF in operation. Also, please bring your cell phones and keep them as close as possible (always a challenge, at least for me, trying to hear the darned things ringing over engine noise).

Finally, let's have the customary exchange of cell numbers. Mine is (360) 301-6737, and this year I'm wearing the thing around my neck so I might actually hear it ringing.

Who else would like to join in the always-great Puget Sound, End to End run...or a portion of this fun event?

See everyone a week from now--I can't wait!

- Marty
              Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

See Rosario in many of those photos. Nice looking boat. However, we can't join you this year. Becky's birthday is Saturday and she has opt for a fancy pedicure and dinner in Anacortes. Hopefully in 2011. Have a great trip.
                Jerry and Becky
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I'm jealous!

Marty, those photos had me drooling and wishing I didn't have another committment that weekend.

Those of you that are lucky enough to make this event, please take lots of photos for the rest of us!

Tim

Comment

Won't be making it End-to-End

As I mentioned in my email to Marty, I too won't be making it this year. Dang!

Did the end to end in 06 think it was and really enjoyed it!

Spent eight hours yesterday putting two coats of Pettit Protect epoxy sealer on half of the Saratogan hull. Today Copper Poxy antifoul on the same half while the primer is still green.

Cole Comings is going to be here bright and early Monday morning to survey the boat. Hagerty insurance quote was a bit disheartening!

Very close, but not close enough to make the End-to-End! Next year.
                    Saratogan will hit the water soon though....

McSkagit
                    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Saratogan Adventure

Tim -

It's really too bad you won't make this year's run, but next season let's plan a special Saratogan Mothership Cruise, where an armada of smaller boats join you in staying at some of your favorite San Juan Island destinations. (Plus, of course, it'll be great to have you on the 2011 Puget Sound, End to End run...)

- Marty

Comment

Well................Looks as I am going to miss this one too.
                        Putting my 20 back together has proven to be a little more than expected.
                        Now I have to replace the Alternator or have it repaired among other things.
                        After three years setting, things tend to, not work.

I really need some time in the water to shake her down and look for possible problems.
                        I will just drop her in over here (I can see the marina from my keyboard, 4 miles ;-) at the Hood Canal, Quilcene bay and do some testing. I do have a kicker so I am ok to go it alone.:boater1:
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Marty, Sorry to say i will not be able to attend the End to End after all. After thinking about it i really wanted to go , but you know me i don't like taking a boat out that i want to do some work on first. I need to start getting to work taking all of the Cleats , hatch,windshield, cabin windows out on the Skagit among other things to get it ready to paint the cabin inside and out and the roof as well plus the deck and around the cabin windows next week ( trying to beat the weather changing to Fall ) as i don't want to start next spring. Next spring i would only have the cabins windows to complete. If i can get the painting done by Sept 15th then i can start carpeting inside the cabin and cockpit. I need to get a little time behind the wheel also before taking a long trip. Sorry about this. Best,Chuck
                          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

'59 Bryant, run what-u-brung

Marty, Holly and I are really looking forward to touring the Sound with the gang. In the plywood hulled, fiberglass decked, unrestored, Bryant 20'-Tim calls "Anti-SOShull"

After going through Kiesel's old Bearcat 55, and discovering far too many problems to repair before next weekend-Tim selflessly ripped his sweet Homelite off of the SabreCraft today and hope to have a sea-trial/shakedown cruise tomorrow afternoon.

If all goes as planned, we will be cleared for take-off and outfitted by next Saturday morning. Hopefully launching along with Steve in Everett.

Will report the results tomorrow evening.

P.S. ChuckC., you are one of a kind...:shocked3: predictably-unpredictable!

Comment

Puget Sound...

Chuck -

Sorry to hear you won't make it, but I understand you want to change the color(s) on the boat and can't wait to get started while the weather's good. You'll be missed (Greg James won't have anyone to harass), but we'll see you on the water next Spring with your new, darker-blue Skagit.

Greg L -

It's a relief to hear that Tim is loaning you his tuned-and-ready Bearcat, since the idea of running a semi-untested engine the length of Puget Sound is daunting. Have you decided to launch at Edmonds...or maybe some other location? (You might also want to consider Shilshole Marina, since it doesn't involve using slings...and the tides are right next weekend for launching and retrieving at conventional ramps.)

By the way, for everyone thinking of participating, here's an off-the-cuff, partial list of some fuel docks to be found along our route:

Everett
                              Edmonds
                              Kingston
                              Shilshole
                              Elliott Bay Marina
                              Tacoma waterfront
                              Day Island Marina (Our primary refueling stop, halfway to Olympia)
                              Jarrells Cove, Hartstene Island
                              Boston Harbor, north of Olympia
                              Olympia
                              Brownsville (west of Bainbridge Island, on the return route north)

- Marty

Comment

Weather Forecast

The forecast for the end of the coming week, including our weekend Puget Sound, End to End run, calls for temps in the 68-70 range and very light winds (5-7 mph from the North), so it looks like we're in great shape for the event.

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                                X