Stehekin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's alot of fun.

I encourage anyone with a 22+'' transome, dependable motor and covered bow, to come. When I went last year I saw a light colored blackbear, deer, big horn sheep and a rattlesnake.

There are hikes you can do out of Stehekin and at most of the docks. In Stehekin the National Park Service runs a bus shuttle up the valley to an old one room school house that you can go inside and read the displays, also stops at a "die for bakery" and a large waterfall. We got dropped off at the end of the road and spent the afternoon walking back down the road. The cafe in town offers burgers, soups and a good breakfast for a fair price.

September is when the winds die down and don't blow so often.

Lowell
    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Wow ...

A boat trip with rattlesnakes. Didn't see that coming! :Scared1:

Lowell, in case someone has issues ( motor trouble, leaking hull, properly operating Homelite, etc.) and doesn't make it all the way up to Stehekin, do you have any suggestions for particular places to dock and explore between 25 mile and Stehekin? I've ferreted out info online, but if someone who has been there before has info that would be helpful.

I would like to go all the way to Stehekin and back, but am developing a back up plan that would involve having fun lower down in case for some reason the long trip doesn't work out.

Thanks

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 13031
        A boat trip with rattlesnakes. Didn't see that coming! :Scared1:

Lowell, in case someone has issues ( motor trouble, leaking hull, properly operating Homelite, etc.) and doesn't make it all the way up to Stehekin, do you have any suggestions for particular places to dock and explore between 25 mile and Stehekin? I've ferreted out info online, but if someone who has been there before has info that would be helpful.

I would like to go all the way to Stehekin and back, but am developing a back up plan that would involve having fun lower down in case for some reason the long trip doesn't work out.

Thanks

Tim
        Hey Tim,

When we were there a couple of weeks ago the two best points in between 25 mile and Steheiken that could provide refuge from wind and or other problems would be Safety Harbor or Graham Harbor. Safety Harbor is protected from the wind in both directions, Graham Harbor only from one side.

They are both awesome places to hang out and boat camp.... but...I must say...we saw a few Rattlers at Safety Harbor - one just 5' from our tent

If for some reason the winds pick up we'll be laying low at Safety Harbor or Graham Harbor. If it happens while we are in Steheiken, we are already planning extra days. For us, with a 15' boat, there is no question that a trip to Steheiken (and back) can only occur on a spectacular day. That said, we made it all the way up to the falls and back last time with really nice smooth water.

Comment

More places to visit before Stehekin.

I think Lucerne is another good place to go there is a boat basin there with a floating dock for 11 boats. With 3 tent sites near by. There is a shuttle bus that takes you up a steep road maybe 2 to 3 miles to an old mining (not sure) Town that is now a church camp. They have a store up there and hikes just out of Lucerne to some high alpine lakes. , quarter mile south is Refrigerator Harbor that has good protection from down lake winds. Place for 4 boats on a dock with camp sites and a shelter. It is located 21 miles from 25 mile campgroud, boat launch.

By the way it is 28 miles to Stehekin from 25 mile boat launch.
          1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
          1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Fuel at Stehekin

By the way, I'd forgotten and had to double-check, but there is fuel available at the Stehekin marina. I was afraid to ask what the per-gallon cost was, but at least if some of us need to top off our tanks before the return run to 25 Mile Creek, we'll have options.

A recommendation, just because it's fascinating: Do the free download of Google Earth if you haven't already, and 'cruise' up Lake Chelan to Stehekin via satellite. It's really incredible how and steep slopes dropping into Chelan show up on Google Earth...and the lake looks great from the air.

Finally, when we're up there we'll have to make a short side trip, almost straight across from Stehekin, to see the Indian petroglyphs/pictographs on rocks just above water level. Mo and I cruised over there back in 2001, found the rock paintings, and it was worth the effort.

- Marty
            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thank you all for all the great suggestions and advise. Since I've never been on Lake Chelan it is all very helpful.
              Greg James

Comment

Counting down the days, 6 more.

Greg,
                Just thought I would touch base with you to say I'm still interested in going uplake. I plan on Saturday though Monday morning. But I will take extra food in case I have to sit out a windy day and an extra night on a dock somewhere.
                Lowell
                1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, Susie and I are going to leave here on Fri. mourning and probably come back on Mon. mourning also. Please call me at 206 790 17265 when you have a chance. I have a couple of questions for you.
                  Greg James

Comment

Chelan Motel, Friday Night

We're heading for Chelan on Friday, along with others, and staying Friday night at Mom's Montlake Motel, on a quiet side street in downtown Chelan.

It's impossible to recommend the place since we haven't been there before, but Mom's is a vintage 1950's-style motel--funky, perhaps, but a lot less $$ than most of the overpriced Chelan accommodations.

Here's a link:

http://www.momsmotel.com/

They have parking space for our rigs and boat trailers, if anybody else wants to try Mom's.

- Marty and Mo

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13356
                      We're heading for Chelan on Friday, along with others, and staying Friday night at Mom's Montlake Motel, on a quiet side street in downtown Chelan.

It's impossible to recommend the place since we haven't been there before, but Mom's is a vintage 1950's-style motel--funky, perhaps, but a lot less $$ than most of the overpriced Chelan accommodations.

Here's a link:

http://www.momsmotel.com/

The have parking space for our rigs and boat trailers, if anybody else wants to try Mom's.

- Marty and Mo
                      Cool, Wifi and just down the street, a water slide with the name of Purple Haze..
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Slo-boat to Stehekin

Holly and I have decided to muscle the Bryant over the pass to Chelan on Friday evening. Plans are completely flexible beyond that. Since McCrain is stealing his motor back for use on his SabreCraft, we are banking that the backup will be up to the task with some fresh gaskets and important tidbits. Will have VHF on board.

Our horse tops out at 15mph, and is the definition of a "cruiser". Any of you with smaller hp motors would feel right at home alongside. Looking forward to seeing everyone.:surprised1:

P.S. As Marty mentioned earlier, the GoogleEarth tour of Chelan is really interesting. Warning: Don't try the flight simulator option without an airsick bag, you'll never complain about your airline flight again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Convoy Over Stevens Pass on Friday?

Hey, All -

We'll be on the 10:25 a.m. ferry from Kingston to Edmonds on Friday, towing the Skagit 17. That would get us into Edmonds at about 10:55, and we'd pass through Lynnwood, head north on I-5 and hit the Highway 2 exit in Everett around 11:30 a.m....reaching Monroe by not later than 12 noon.

Since all of the signed-up participants in the Stehekin adventure are from north of Seattle, I'm assuming that all of you will drive across Stevens Pass. It would be great if some of us could convoy across the Pass, using the same buddy system we enjoy on the water. (Anybody want to rendezvous in, say, Monroe around noon on Friday...?) Not sure exactly where to recommend in Monroe--perhaps some of you have suggestions?

So far, going through the string of Chelan postings, it appears that we'll have six parties and their boats on Lake Chelan, including Greg J. and Susie, Greg L. and Holly, Tim McCrain and son Brendan, Lowell Lorenz, Lauryn, Chris and Dylan Taylor, and Marty and Mo. (Any others...?)

- Marty

Comment

I'm up for the convoy

Marty,

Convoying sounds like a good idea to me, and noon works for me. An easy place to meet in Monroe would be Lake Tye park, at the south end of Lake (pond?) Tye, a few blocks south of the intersection of Hwy 2 and Roosevelt Rd/Fryelands Blvd, which is the first stoplight you encounter when entering Monroe. There is always room in the south end of the parking lot and it's easy to get back onto Hwy 2.

I believe there is another couple joining us, Greg and Stacey Barber in their 19' 55' Reinell.

Tim
                            Attached Files

Comment

Meeting places in Monroe

There is a Park and Ride lot just west of Monroe on Hy 2. It is located just past Frylands Blvd. on the left side just before the fairgrounds. Or another spot, is the Safeway store with a large parking lot. Turn left on Chain Lake Road and then a right into the Safeway Parking this place has some fast food restraunts and a bank to get more funds for gas money.

I think Marty has a good idea, I'll follow if you stay below 45 mph going up them steep hills the truck is a little underpowered.

Tim was posting same time as me, all three places will work. I'm easy you pick it, I'll be there.

Greg,
                              I tried calling that number but it didn't work, try calling me at work on Tuesday 425 257 8200. Lowell
                              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, Greg posted to many numbers. Take out the 2nd "6" and you have it as
                                1-206-790-1725. Chuck
                                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                                X