Blake Island--June 11 (!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only if you promise to tow me home:boater1:
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

wish I was going too.

This sounds like a real nice trip and a lot of fun, I would be going but I have to work.

I'm working on a project for the City of Everett that starts at 8PM Saturday night and goes to 6AM on Sunday morning. I don't have to do this very often but unlucky for me it's right during this outing.

Hope you all have a good time and don't get too sunburned out on the water. I'm looking forward to seeing all the great pictures.
      1956 Enduracraft Monterey
      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Looks like I will be launching at a somewhat low tide in West Seattle on Saturday (10ish) and meeting you all at the northwest beach around noon.
        I'll plan on beaching and maybe having someone show me this clothesline action. I"ll bring some rope and something heavy that resembles an anchor.

I'll just be staying for a bit to meet folks and maybe have a picnic lunch with my girlfriend and to passengers as I'll need to pull out with the tide on the higher side around 4ish

someone please correct me if my timing is off.

I was at Blake a few months ago and talked to the ranger about the buoys. He said the currents have been strong and large boats have not been mooring properly or something like that (i don't really know what that means)

Just curious - does anyone know with that overnight parking can you leave just your trailer or does it need to be hooked up to a vehicle?

and when it comes to beaching... is it "allowed" or are there consequences?
        I'm trying to learn what i can so when i go back for a weekend i'm all set!

Thanks everyone - i am looking forward to meeting you all.

Comment

Blake Island

Your timing is right for Saturday, and the later you wait to launch, the higher the tide will be, obviously. (We aren't launching at Eagle Harbor until 11 or maybe 11:30, due to the low early-morning tide.) At least it'll be high for all of us in the afternoon/evening.

Regardless of rules for parking trailers overnight, I wouldn't advise leaving an empty trailer with no vehicle overnight anywhere--just too easy to steal.

No worries about the park buoys with any of our boats. When people tie up with a 50,000-pound monster cruiser and drag the buoy anchor in a strong current...well, not a surprise.

Beaching small boats like ours is allowed at marine state parks; no fee, no foul. It's only when you tie to park buoys, use upland campsites, etc. that you have to pay a fee.

See you there, Wiz!

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Erik,
            We might be along Alki on the way to some Ling Fishing before we make our way across to Blake,hopefully with fish for the BBQ.
            I`ll try to call as we launch and see if we can meet along the way.
            Overnighting is ok at WSeattle but need launch ticket if you have a trailer behing your rig and you park on the street,they`ll come cite you regardless.
            New trailers may be stolen more likely than a used one so I wouldn`t worry too much on that either.
            Should be some Lings near the reef south of Alki,not as tough and tackle -grabbing as at Blake,where snags and hook-ups are the norm.
            No fishing deeper than 120` ANYWHERE BTW.
            Hope to get some good pics,the green water near Blake always has been a favorite for taking good boat portraits.

TimM
            Lake Burien
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

sounds good Tim -
              I would like to fish with you guys - never gone for ling cod so any advice on what to bring for tackle/bait would be great. It would be cool to stick with you guys for that.

Comment

Evergreen Pacific tide book for Seattle saids:
                Sat 11th of June

12:48 AM 11.9 FT

7:58 AM 0.2

2:48 PM 8.9 FT

7:39 PM 5.8 ft

We will be leaving from Everett, so the tide will have come in a little plus we will be going with the currents both ways on Sat and be able to save on gas.
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Hey Chuck:
                  Flow meter installation is going slow, and as of now the fuel system is still apart. I have a Dance date with my daughter this evening or I'd be crawling through the gunwales to get it all properly together. I don't like fires. So if I get up to listen to the Outdoor Line, I'll see if I can get it done and out on the water before noon, and I'd be launching at Edmonds or Shilshole.
                  ChuckB
                  "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Coming from Tacoma?

I'm probably coming from Tacoma (Point Defiance)--launching between 10 and 11...??? I would consider a different location somewhere down here if someone wants to travel together. I've not checked the forecast yet....
                    -Ken

Comment

It's a nice evening on Blake

Greg, Brendan and I are sitting around the campfire on Blake digesting our dinner and the cowboy cookies Greg brought. The water was nice and smooth on the way down this morning, with a few easy rollers. Got just a few minutes of drizzle this morning but otherwise nice all day.

You all have a nice trip out tomorrow, look forward to seeing everyone then!

Tim

Comment

Tim, Did i tell you there is a "special handling fee" on the extra gas ( 5 gal ) that i will be hauling to you. Yes it is premix as it had been in the G-3 with the Sta-BiL added. Btw i have 3 quarts of Quicksilver 2 Stroke oil new that i will not be needing if you are interested. Only $4.00 per qt. Chuck
                        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Ready to Go...At Last

It's 10:30 pm Friday and we just tested the motor on the '58 Bell Boy for the first time (ever), so we appear to be ready for the water.

I'll launch at Eagle Harbor around 11 to 11:30 a.m., joined there by Allan and Sue Martin with their first splash of the restored Farallon. So both of us will be doing sea trials for the first time with our new/old boats. (The difference is that the Bell Boy isn't restored--just made sort-of ready for use.) Restoration will take place in the Fall...I just want to enjoy the beast this summer.

See everyone at Blake by 1 p.m. or so....

- Marty

P.S. - Mo threw out her back last evening, went to physical therapy today, but is still hurting and won't be able to make the trip. Big disappointment for her, and for me, but she hopes to make the next event.
                          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Does anyone use radios to communicate out there? If so what channel
                            do you use? I was a little behind on the planning so we will be rocking some pb&j this trip :shocked2: I wish I could have gotten out there tonight!

Comment

Wiz, Normally channel 69.
                              Kent & Diane
                              '58 Westerner

Comment

On schedule

Heading out to hook up to the boat 0645 should be on freeway heading south before 0800 E.T.A. Everett 0930

Chuck : I have my cell phone if you don't see me at the launch ! :boater1:
                                Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Working...
                                X