Next Event: Columbia River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Event: Columbia River

While we're still basking in the excitement of yesterday's Alder Lake event, it's time to start getting serious about the next great Northwest Classic Boat Club rendezvous, the Saturday, July 11 "Islands of the Columbia Adventure," which should be one of our more memorable 2009 outings.

The main idea will be to explore some beautiful backwaters in one of Washington State's best-kept secrets--Wahkiakum County, on the lower Columbia River. Included will be back channels of Puget Island, near Cathlamet, along with nearby Steamboat Slough and the historic fishing town of Skamokawa.

Cathlamet will be our primary launch point, using facilities at the town's nice marina. Here's a link:

http://www.cathlametmarina.org/index.html

While we'll be boating on the Columbia River, this section of the river should be calmer than what some of us have experienced in the past when cruising from Sand Island to Portland and back...and there will be several quiet back channels to use. Our guide for this lower Columbia exploration will be Tom Horn of Portland, veteran of many of our Slough Run events, who has taken his runabout through many of the quiet backwaters of Puget Island, Cathlamet and Skamokawa.

While the event is officially scheduled for one day, many of us from the Puget Sound area will head down sometime on Friday, overnighting within striking distance of the Cathlamet launch ramp. (In the past, when doing Sand Island or other Columbia-Willamette events, several of us have stayed at motels in Castle Rock, which has plenty of accommodations, a big Safeway and other amenities. The drive from there to Cathlamet should take about an hour...and we'll plan to launch at roughly 10:30-11 a.m. on Saturday.

(Personally, we plan to take Friday the 10th off altogether and drive straight to the Cathlamet area, staying on a farm with guest cabin on Puget Island. There are lots of accommodations in the general area between Kelso and Skamokawa, and campgrounds if you're bringing an RV or like tent-camping.)

Besides our boating adventure, other attractions in the area include a Friday afternoon farmer's market on Puget Island (3-6 p.m.); the historic covered bridge at Gray's River, where I've always wanted to photograph a classic boat, and of course the picturesque and historical towns of Cathlamet and Skamokawa.

While we can all drive home Saturday night following the event, I think we'll make a weekend of it and overnight in the general area, doing some boating on nearby Willapa Bay Sunday morning before heading home.

So, this will be a "must" event for members in Oregon and Southwestern Washington...and a "near-must" event for folks who live in the Puget Sound area. If you have any doubts, just ask any member who's participated in past Sand Island cruises, or last year's Willamette River Cruise. It's very easy to get hooked on boating in the Columbia-Willamette region!

Several members said they would participate in the Columbia River Adventure when we discussed the event earlier. Maybe we could get another show of hands, and an indication of whether you'll head down Friday, stay the whole weekend, or whatever...? In a few days we'll post links to more accommodation options, but in the meantime you can Google "Wahkiakum County, WA" and get a list of B&B's, campgrounds, etc. that are available in the immediate Cathlamet-to-Skamokawa area.

Below are a few shots from last year's Columbia-Willamette trip, up the Willamette from Portland to the falls. This year's adventure will be farther downstream, in an area never-before-explored by our club or its predecessor groups.

Hope to see a nice turnout for this event...

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

We'll be down on Sat. morning and just be staying the day. We really had fun last year and are looking forward to this!

Comment

We will be making the arduous trip down from Bellingham. (actually giving up a weekend of hydroplane racing in Chamberlin South Dakota) We are planning to head south around noon on Friday (after I get of work) and make an entire weekend out of it, figure if we're gonna drive from one state line to the other we better make it worth our while...

Just FYI we are really mad at Whatcom county for banning 2-stroke motors on Lake Whatcom, cause we would really like to be able to come to event that didn't involve driving 3 - 6 hours.. :eek: We will have to scout out some lakes up north to see about a viable replacement to the traditional end of the season Lake Whatcom event...
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I'll be there.

My wife and I are planning on coming to this event. We will leave Everett after work around 730 pm on Friday night and try to make it to the Castle Rock area.
        We will not be staying over for any Sunday boating adventures because I have to work on Sunday afternoon. Too bad, it sounds like great boating, I've kayaked to Long Island 25 years ago and it's well worth seeing.
        1956 Enduracraft Monterey
        1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
        1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Brian...

Hey, Brian, I assume that two-strokes are still allowed on Lake Samish. While there probably isn't a waterfront campground at Samish, would that lake make sense for at least a one-day event next year?

Baker Lake, which the Antique Outboard Motor Club has used for events several times, is also an option in your general area...not to mention runs up and down the Skagit River and other possibilities.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 4359
            Hey, Brian, I assume that two-strokes are still allowed on Lake Samish. While there probably isn't a waterfront campground at Samish, would that lake make sense for at least a one-day event next year?

Baker Lake, which the Antique Outboard Motor Club has used for events several times, is also an option in your general area...not to mention runs up and down the Skagit River and other possibilities.

- Marty
            We have thought about Samish but the downside there is that it is a relatively tiny lake with no public beach area of any kind (other than about 50 ft at boat launch) and the launch ramp is rahter steep and gravel...

We haven't ventured out to Baker lake but we are planning to this summer, not sure about running the skagit river with a boat like ours (rivers, unless regularly travel by boat, are generally not inboard friendly)...

We have just gotten some boating books for whatcom county and we're gonna go scout them out this summer. Figure we would volunteer for the tedious task of cruising a new lake every weekend...
            Brian Flaherty

Comment

Baker Lake is being closed down for 2010 and then reopen in 2011 in a new campground configuration idea. Maybe we could sneek in this year still ? That's Mt Baker in the Picture. It is (was ) a nice place ! I think Rick Love might know more details about that. Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Baker lake resort is a great spot and the resort has cabins, tent spots and R.V. parking , it also has a nice little store. Lake Samish has a bogus launch spot but they do have spaces to tie up at the park once you are in the water. Baker Lake is about 1.5 hours from Bellingham about 50 Minutes from I-5 Burlington Exit towards North Cascade Hy. We really liked our trip up there and they have a nice launch and plenty of dock space. This is the last year for the resort then the D.N.R. take it over and away go the cabins, Docks Etc. so if you are going to go this is the year.
                Reservation 1-888-711-3033
                Cabins sleep Apx. 4 - 6 ppl and run about $40.00 - $80.00

They don't have a web site that shows anything but this is a great spot. They also have day use $6.00 launch boat and picnic
                Attached Files
                Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Lakes to the North

Brian -

As you probably know, several years ago some ACBS members spent a few days camp-cruising on Ross Lake, and judging from photos I saw the lake was SPECTACULAR, with narrow, sheer-walled fjord-like side channels, no development anywhere, and those floating cabins you can rent.

The only complication is that in order to launch on Ross Lake, you have to drive north into British Columbia near Vancouver, then go east a ways before heading south on a gravel road to the only launch ramp, which is near the north end of the long and scenic lake.

In short, it's a real wilderness adventure and probably something we'd want to organize as a three-day event: drive north and launch on a Friday, cruise the lake and overnight aboard our boats Saturday, and return on Sunday.

Anybody want to do Ross Lake in 2010?

- Marty

Comment

Hell yeah!! That sounds exciting!! Count us in.

Comment

We would certainly be in for an adventure like Ross lake, although we would have to search for campable land, cause some of us poor boaters don't have cuddies to sleep in...
                      Brian Flaherty

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 4376
                        Baker Lake is being closed down for 2010 and then reopen in 2011 in a new campground configuration idea. Maybe we could sneek in this year still ? That's Mt Baker in the Picture. It is (was ) a nice place ! I think Rick Love might know more details about that. Chuck
                        Is anyone up for doing Baker Lake this year? it's an awesome lake in every respect.
                        Kent & Diane
                        '58 Westerner

Comment

I would be up for Baker Lake.We took the row boat last time it would be nice to take the Skagit . Its alot closer to me and has all the amenities and you don't have to cross the border and go down a gravel road ?? Late August ????
                          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Starting next weekend, it's a super busy summer schedule for us but if we can swing it, we would deffinately be down for a late August (or September is even better) Baker lake event.

We would gladly step up to help plan some kind of activity like the Tapps poker run or Alder treasure hunt...
                            Brian Flaherty

Comment

Baker Lake, September?

Brian -

You might want to see if Saturday, September 12 works for Baker Lake...?

We've had a boat show tentatively scheduled for that date at Coulon Park, but it appears that park officials may not want us to use the inside of the 'lagoon' this year--nothing personal, just a change in their policy--so the show may likely be cancelled...opening the door for Baker Lake or some other event in September.

I should know for sure about Coulon in the next week or two.

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X