NEW EVENT! (Baker Lake, Sept. 19)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW EVENT! (Baker Lake, Sept. 19)

Brian Flaherty stepped forward to organize a new event for Saturday, September 19 at beautiful Baker Lake, which some members tried out earlier this summer during an Antique Outboard Motor Club gathering. The lake is up north, with gorgeous views of Mt. Baker, naturally.

Brian will describe the lake and event here on the message board, probably very soon.

Baker Lake will replace the previously-scheduled boat show that was to take place at Coulon Park on Sept 12. (City of Renton park officials have decided they don't want us using the 'lagoon' area inside the pier this year--it's a big hassle for them to remove blockades to the lagoon, then reassemble things after we leave--making a traditional boat show nearly impractical at Coulon Park. We may be able to negotiate a fee for their troubles next year, or beyond, but for this year let's just enjoy boating at Baker Lake instead.)

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, That sounds like a plan. Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Beautiful Baker lake

Some of you may already know that we used to have an end of the year event on Lake Whatcom up north in Bellingham, but, unfortunately, we had to cancel that event due to the restriction of 2-stroke motors on the lake as of Janruary 2009.

Because of this disasterous city ordinance I have spent the summer scouting lakes in Whatcom and north Skagit counties. We have decided to try and organize an event on Baker Lake for the weekend of September 19th and possibly carry overnight into the 20th.

If anyone is interested please post here right away so we can get an idea of what kind of activity to plan, and possibly if need to reserve a group site somewhere around the lake.

Thanks.

Brian

PS: Here are a few pictures we took this weekend while exploring the lake.
      Attached Files
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian, Will be there Saturday only. We were there for the Antique Outboard Motor Club get together. Very nice lake ! Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I heard a rumor that there are fish in that lake too. :eek:
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

We want to come but not sure we will have a working vessel by then but we are going to try!! It sure looks beautiful. Since the 19th is my birthday it would sure be nice to spend it exploring a new lake. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Comment

Campsite host

campsite 21&22 are right behind the store and right on top of the boat launch & Docks and right across from the toilets . That's where the antique outboarders set up base camp. Lots of room for a motor home picnic tables and a fire pit and a gathering spot.

Reservation # is 1-888-711-3033 Monday - Thursday 8 to 3:30 I have a call in to see how long after Labor day they are running. They have Cabins- R.V. spots with/ wo hookups and tent camping. When we were up there with the Antique outboarders they let us use the docks for free we just had to sign up at the store and they give you a card to stick in your boat.

Norm Boddy was the only person that caught a fish !!
              Attached Files
              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

I'd love to spend a day on Baker, its beautiful. Hopefully I'll have an operating boat by then ...

Comment

Count Us In...

We'll be there at least for Saturday, and maybe overnight, with the Lady Clipper.

- Marty and Mo

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

We need to get an okay from one of our sons on the mainland to leave the Rosario at their house while the ferry is out. Can't imagine either of them saying no so figure on Becky and me to make Baker Lake.
                    Jerry and Becky
                    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Looks like that could be the maiden club trip for the Mariner (fingers crossed ;-) so count Karin and I in...

...Ric
                      '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
                      '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
                      '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Maps?

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 5403
                        Reservation # is 1-888-711-3033 Monday - Thursday 8 to 3:30 I have a call in to see how long after Labor day they are running. They have Cabins- R.V. spots with/ wo hookups and tent camping. When we were up there with the Antique outboarders they let us use the docks for free we just had to sign up at the store and they give you a card to stick in your boat.
                        For those of us "Out-of-Towners" (i.e. from Oregon), just where IS Baker Lake? I tried Mapquest and it gave me 3 different possibilities.

What town & highway is it near please?

Thanks.
                        "The beatings will continue until moral improves..."

Pat Drewery

Comment

Baker Lake Location

Pat -

It's the Baker Lake that's in the Mt. Baker National Forest, north of Concrete, Washington on a side road (Baker Lake Road) that takes off from the North Cascades Highway (Hwy. 20) to the west of Concrete. You get there by jumping off of Interstate 5 at Burlington, north of Mt. Vernon, and heading east on Hwy. 20. The lake is nine miles long and very scenic, as some of the earlier photos showed.

- Marty

Comment

Did you see my pictures I posted with the Rosario @ Baker Lake next to my Skiff ? Another former Chuck Carey boat !
                            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

looks like I'll be concentrating on just the Mariner now...

;-p

...Ric
                              '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
                              '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
                              '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Working...
                              X