2008 Recreational Boating Statistics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Recreational Boating Statistics

The Coast Guard has released the 2008 Recreational Boating Statistics. It a failrly large PDF file. You can download it and read at your leisure. It's interesting reading and breaks all the boating accidents and fatalities down in detail. The 2008 report is 73 pages long and contains many charts and graphs, breaking down boating accidents in every possible way.
    Here is the link to CG accident reports for years 1999 through 2009:

http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...tatistics.aspx

Here is the intro page to the 2008 report:

Introduction & Executive Summary
    Recreational Boating Statistics 2008

2008 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

• In 2008, the Coast Guard counted 4789 accidents that involved 709 deaths,
    3331 injuries and approximately $54 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.

• Over two-thirds of all fatal boating accident victims drowned, and of those, ninety (90) percent were not wearing a life jacket.

• Only ten percent of deaths occurred on boats where the operator had received boating safety instruction.

• Seven out of every ten boaters who drowned were using boats less than 21 feet in length.

• Careless/reckless operation, operator inattention, no proper lookout, operator inexperience and passenger/skier behavior rank as the top five primary contributing factors in accidents.

• Alcohol use is the leading contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; it was listed as the leading factor in 17% of the deaths.

• Eleven children under age thirteen lost their lives while boating in 2008. 63% of the children who died in 2008 died from drowning.

• The most common types of vessels involved in reported accidents were open motorboats (43%), personal watercraft (23%), and cabin motorboats (15%).

• The 12,692,892 boats registered by the states in 2008 represent a 1.4%
    decrease from last year when 12,875,568 boats were registered

The State of Oregon also has some very detailed information on boating accident statistics in their state. A large number of white water kayak fatalities there......
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Un-reported accidents

Tim ,
    Almost added to the 2010 list but knowing who`s name to drop got me out of being documented for my "underwater adventure".
    I heard of a major Boatwreck this past summer on Lake Washington involving a twin engine,High Performance Eliminator Hull that traded ends while doing some high-speed wave jumping between the two floating bridges.
    Not only was one ,Jay Buhner ,on board ,but the owner of the Obrian Automotive Group (also read ,major TV/Radio Advertiser.....) was involved and was the boat owner who nearly killed our local Baseball celebrity.
    Not one word was mentioned on the airwaves of an accident that seriously hurt 3 people,while 3 others including Mr. Buhner himself, had to swim to shore to get help.
    The Bright yellow twin 502 hull was broken all the way down one side from the helm to the rear corner.
    Seems it not WHAT you do but WHO you know in some cases.
    I`m sure one death would have put this one on our local news reports ,but I do bet they were documented on CG paper someways.
    Guess my main point is,the list should read "Reported Recreational Boating Accidents and Statistics....."
    And to learn from other`s mistakes ,even mine.
    This is why we share stories!
    TimM
    Lake Burien
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Accident Reporting

I'm sure the Lake Washington incident was reported to the Coast Guard. Keeping it out of the local news is another matter....

In the assistance towing, rescue and salvage business for 25 years, I often had to call the CG and give them the details, who to contact, number of POB, addresses, phone numbers, boat type and size, amount of estimated damage, location, etc.

The 2009 statistics are out as well. I urge you all to check them out.
      I thought I'd do a presentation of the Morning Dew case here on the forum.

The Morning Dew was a boating accident that resulted in the loss of four lives (three children) and is one of the few recreational cases that was fully investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

The Coast Guard was sited as providing a "substandard response" in the Morning Dew case. The entire Search And Rescue (SAR) arm of the Coast Guard got overhauled after the Morning Dew case.

The boat was insured by Boat US, and therefore Boat US was fully involved in the investigation.

The entire transcript is available on-line. You can type into your search engine: Morning Dew-Coast Guard or Morning Dew - Boat US
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
      X