Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens with-out a boat to work on!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens with-out a boat to work on!

Last winter I found myself with out a boat to work on. I took on this project. I got to be the third guy to work on it... the first 2 took it all apart welded on some new panels here and there, added some parts and lost some parts. I hauled it to the shop in 3 trailer loads and it left on one! Here are a few pics, lots of pics in between start and finish! - Ross
    Attached Files
    Ross Henson

Good as new!
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Ross ,
      We got some red pleated vinyl for that Cab......
      Nice pc of american Iron ,note the metal tailgate handle.
      TM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Metal, what's that?

Looks great Ross. Nice paint job. You would never know it was an old Turd to begin with.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Thanks alot guys, its been gone a couple of months now, he was heading for the upholstry shop and some engine work... I just started working on a one owner 67 GTO, but unfortunatly he parked it BESIDE his barn in 1980. 30 years or so in our great weather is hard on um! Lets do boats!!
          Ross Henson

Comment

I know most of us are not the kind that can just veg out in front of the TV so we have to be doing something, So, what have you been up too?

I decided to save my 1976 Dodge Van. First things first, stop the leaks.
            I will post some pictures of that soon.

So, because its been an interesting winter up here in the PNW I wonder how the Summer is in Australia? I know we have web members all over the world.

Whats everyone been up too??
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

For me it's going Blackmouth fishing when I should be doing projects on my boat! Seeing these great photos of boatwork by our members makes me feel kinda guilty about not getting anything done on my own but there's always next year, right! Keep up the good work guys, you're an inspiration.

Here's a photo of a Chinook we got thats representative of what we get on a good day off Whidbey. Last outing we got four in the net that were either wild or a bit too small and had to be released. The big one got away! Yeah, right you say!
              Attached Files
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Be like Kent!

Ok last truck pics, I know this is a boat site but old trucks are my other weakness. My buddy Ralph stopped by this afternoon, I'm trying to sell him my aluminum fishing boat. He was driving one that I finished up in 2008. A 1953 IH 1 ton duelly. I took it compleatly apart in his barn and brought it part by part to my shop and reworked and re- painted everything. Even has the factory AM radio! On a clear day you can hear corn prices from the mid-west in the mid 50's... sorry. I hooked my BellBoy to it and we took them up to the Laconner boat-car show a couple years back and had a great time. I need to take a page from Kent, and get in the boat! Nice fish by the way!
                Attached Files
                Ross Henson

Comment

Hey Ross.
                  Nice International. Always had a soft spot for those...
                  I grew up working in my Dads wrecking yard so I have seen a few things most have not and never will.

Yes this is a boat site BUT, we have other projects to help break up the monotony of working on boats all the time.
                  I did hot rods before boats so whats wrong with a sweet tow rig VeryBigSmile

Here is just the first shot of my Van that I am going back through.
                  It will tow the Uniflite or Skimaster. Can you imagine a boat painted up like this van.

The more I progress, the more I will add to this area as, this area is NOT boat related VeryBigSmile
                  Attached Files
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

[/QUOTE]Here's a photo of a Chinook we got thats representative of what we get on a good day off Whidbey. Last outing we got four in the net that were either wild or a bit too small and had to be released. The big one got away! Yeah, right you say![/QUOTE]

Nice catchen and eaten for sure :fishing:
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Love seeing the old truck pictures. Don't worry about posting them. Especially ones that can pick up the corn prices in the midwest from the 50's. Good one Ross.

That is one sweet old dully. My dad had an old 49' International pickup, not a dully. Boy was that one tough old truck. I was young, but I remember the front fenders were at least quarter inch steel. No way could you ever put a dent in those.
                      Steve Kiesel
                      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by westerner, post: 21055
                        For me it's going Blackmouth fishing when I should be doing projects on my boat! Seeing these great photos of boatwork by our members makes me feel kinda guilty about not getting anything done on my own but there's always next year, right! Keep up the good work guys, you're an inspiration.

Here's a photo of a Chinook we got thats representative of what we get on a good day off Whidbey. Last outing we got four in the net that were either wild or a bit too small and had to be released. The big one got away! Yeah, right you say!
                        Nice fish Kent,
                        The winter fish sure bite harder and seem to be on Steroids.A 10 lb winter fish will make you think it is twice the size,THEN you hook a really big one and all hell break`s loose.
                        Winter boating used to be more crowded than summer when fishing was still good in the early to mid 90`s.......
                        Now you don`t even see the swarms of birds that used to resemble snow on most days.No herring ,means no birds which leads to less fish.
                        The West Seattle Tengu (Blackmouth in Japanese) saw but ONE fish for the entire TWO Month Derby this year.And it was only 5 lbs,just barely legal but also worth $1000.
                        Troll fast and troll deep,even touching the bottom on occasion will get strikes.......we used to get one on the first drop,as we accidently "found" bottom,then we`d stay above it all day not doing a thing until we nudged bottom on a turn,then we`d get another.
                        Took a few years to clue in on how deep these fish are,usually nose down into the rocks rooting out candlefish in winter.Note the scratches on the Cheeks and gillplates.
                        Our Coho have all hatched and are almost all swimming after their first gulp of air.....Food is next ,once the egg sacs are fully digested.
                        TM
                        SeaRay 175BR
                        Hi-Laker lapline
                        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by westerner, post: 21055

Thanks for the tip Kent, We just signed on a house near Kingston. Only a few months to go and I will be able to finish the boat and "Go Fishin" any day I want to. VeryBigSmile
                          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Thanks Tim, yes you're right on about the depth of these Blackmouth. I got this one on fresh jigged cut plug herring (no flasher) 90 feet down in about 100 feet of water. There's been a lot of herring showing up lately where we usually fish, near Greenbank north of Baby Island. There's a sandy bar there that is always very productive with herring, and more lately with a flasher and spoon. We had 5 on in 3 hrs. of fishing last time out with the flashers and spoons. Found out a few years ago how these fish hugged the bottom and troll within 10 ft of it now. We get fish every time we go out usually and I'm amazed how few boats fish anymore, even when nice fish are being caught.
                            You're right, these Chinook fight incredibly hard when winter caught although the springers don't do poorly either!

Jack, your move to Kingston will put you close to the Point No Point Chinook fishery that is awesome in July and August. Many 30 pounders caught there this last season and I was amazed at how many were weighed in at the Kingston derby. I hooked a huge fish, got it up to the boat and it shook off, don't you love those barbless hooks! Sounds like you're going to retire there ,congrats, maybe we can connect one of these years and fish in the same proximity. Prepare for company, when the salmon are running it can be really crowded at the point with moochers. Once you bag one of those monsters it's you that gets hooked!
                            Kent & Diane
                            '58 Westerner

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 21054

Whats everyone been up too??
                              Joe,
                              Like Marty had posted recently,sometimes you stare down the barrell of a gap in work on Boats.....so why not tackle a pair of VW Vanegon Seats?
                              Now recovered with a full cowhide a motor buyer brought us after some cushions caught his eye in my garage.
                              Came out nice but not a get rich scheme when hours are tallied.
                              Thinking a leather wrapped Texas Longhorn would dress up the bowdeck of my Texas-made Fleetform.The horns would make for good Willow branch deflectors.
                              Kim broke 5 needles sewing thru the stuff as it was super tough.
                              TM
                              ps Jack(and Kent),
                              Find "Pilot Point" on the chart and fish this area on the incoming tide when the usual crowd goes in......most leave the fish alone during the Flood tide but this place is off the beaten path and can offer 100 fish for the 5-10 boats while fishing No Point would need 1000 fish to make for similar odds.
                              Attached Files
                              SeaRay 175BR
                              Hi-Laker lapline
                              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
                              X