Another week and I'm out here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another week and I'm out here...

Another week and I'm out here for three weeks. Been invited to crew aboard the schooner Destiny, sailing out of San Diego, destination, Cabo. The event is called the Baja Ha Ha. 150 boats, all headed south to Cabo together. Two stops along the way....for parties, what else?

I worked on Destiny for two years. She was built in 1934 for Hollywood screen writer Preston Sturges. Sturges wrote, produced and directed some memorable films, The Lady Eve, staring Barbara Stanwick and Henry Fonda probably being the best known.

Sturges formed a company with Howard Hughs, Calpix (California Pictures Corporation) a short lived company probably due to Sturges and Hughs having very different personalities. Hughs wound up with Destiny, which he owned for about ten years.

My first time off shore. Haven't been in Cabo since 1975. Guess it's changed!
    Won't be able to make your planning meeting, but hope you'll schedule a three dayer in the San Juans in July or August.

I'll try to leave a link to the boat and our progress for those who want to follow the trip.....

cheers,

Tim
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Have a great trip down and back and be sure to party hardy.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Looked at her on line, NICE!

Watch out for the remnants of Hurricane Paul now beating on Baja.

As for the changes in Cabo; You really will not believe it. The sleepy little fishing village is now a "DESTINATION".

La Corrida between Cabo and San Jose is all filled in with golf courses, resorts, Wall Mart, Home Depot, and COSTCO.

We're ready to move up the east coast to Loretto, north of La Paz. That's John Steinbeck's old stomping ground
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Baja

Yes, I've heard that Cabo to San Jose is nonstop resorts, etc. I'll have to dig out the slides from my 1975 trip. We stayed at Finisterra, traveling in a rented VW beetle, back packs on out backs.

I saw a story on Loretto on Evening Magazine.....looks to be my kinda place...

Cheers,

McSkagit

Comment

I'm not jealous.

I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.

Hope you have a great time, Tim!

Comment

Saratogan back in the water. San Diego tomorrow

Launched yesterday. Had the Saratogan out for its twice yearly haul out. Shaft zincs gone again, but the others had some zinc left. Raised the waterline an inch and had some trouble getting the CopperPoxy to kick in the 36 degree overnight temperature. Straightened a small ding in the stbd. prop. Boat very smooth.

Off tomorrow for San Diego and points south. Be back after Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X