Restoring Vintage Trailers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Vintage Trailers

Or Vintage Tin Cans as Greg would call them. Glad to see your sense of humor hasn't changed Greg.

A lot of people are restoring the Vintage Trailers. Old trailers are selling at a premium here in Central Oregon. I've got too many projects already to go down that path, but it's tempting.

Here's some eye candy from a shop here in Bend that restores Vintage Trailers.
    http://www.flytecamp.com/
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Hey Steve, Nice hearing from you. We are thinking of getting into a vintage trailer. We have been into tow trailer's back in the 70's with a Terry 23' and 26' and the last one was a 24' Winnebago.I would like to find something like a Shasta ? or whatever. This Sunday we are going to a vintage trailer meet to look at some just for the heck of it. Like i said just thinking about it at this time.Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Okay, Chuck. Don't spend all your money on vintage trailers. You still have a trip to Lummi Island to make to pick up your Glassply. No rush at present but the guy who owns the land on which it is parked is trying to sell the place. Don't know as your Glassply adds to the visual appeal of his property. Did I mention that a trailer to put the boat and boat trailer on might not be a bad idea? It is likely that the trailer hasn't moved in about three years. Renting a trailer would save you the price of getting a license or trip permit for the boat trailer. And, best of all, there is no ferry charge on the return from Lummi Island.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I agree Chuck, they are fun to look at. Here is a local business that rents vintage trailers. http://www.cowgirlbunkhouse.com/
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I have one just about like that on the cover page :GoodJob:
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

We have been involved with vintage trailers sense 2005 with a 1963 Safari airstream. We have sense then sold the big boats and gone to the vintage boats also, ones you can put a trailer and not have to pay for morage or boat houses. We have done 4 airstreams the last one for us is a 1965 Tradewind. A 1968 26 airstream for our daughter and a 1968 18' globetrotter for a customer. We also completley rebuilt a 1968 Aloha for our daughter also. We tow with a vintage tow vehicle and have put 25000 mile on the past two years attending vintage trailer ralleys here in the Northwest and as far as Arizona. Just like the boats everyone is interested all types of trailers.
            I will always have projects the latest is the Lady Clipper Dart just removed the deck today, This one will be a total rebuild. Lots of patterns.
            I am looking for a 58/59 Mark 55 or 58 mercury, not in a big rush for the outboard but if the right one shows up sooner than later ok.

Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H, post: 26108, member: 1727
              We have been involved with vintage trailers sense 2005 with a 1963 Safari airstream. We have sense then sold the big boats and gone to the vintage boats also, ones you can put a trailer and not have to pay for morage or boat houses. We have done 4 airstreams the last one for us is a 1965 Tradewind. A 1968 26 airstream for our daughter and a 1968 18' globetrotter for a customer. We also completley rebuilt a 1968 Aloha for our daughter also. We tow with a vintage tow vehicle and have put 25000 mile on the past two years attending vintage trailer ralleys here in the Northwest and as far as Arizona. Just like the boats everyone is interested all types of trailers.
              I will always have projects the latest is the Lady Clipper Dart just removed the deck today, This one will be a total rebuild. Lots of patterns.
              I am looking for a 58/59 Mark 55 or 58 mercury, not in a big rush for the outboard but if the right one shows up sooner than later ok.

Dave
              Hi Dave.
              I wish I was more of a PR guy as I did meet you at Mason but turned around and lost your information as well as your name.
              I have another thread going about these and just moved one over to this area, so I think anyway. This new software program is pretty tricky to learn over the old one.
              Did you see that post ?
              I have a older 67 travel trailer but now sure the brand. Title is down in Eugene that tells me.. My little RV that is my towing rig is a 1972 and runs sweet.

Might look in the Classifieds as I stuck my Merc 50's in there. They turn over but have been in the salt. I have the third one that is a fresh water but not sure she still turns over. Priced right...
              Here is my little 19 foot RV towing my 24 foot boat [ATTACH]14826[/ATTACH]
              Attached Files
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
              X