VHF communication...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF communication...

With a banner NWCBC 2010 season approaching I have been pondering the appropriate equipment to make communication during on-water events a no-brainer. The extent of my two-way experience comes from walkie-talkies, (pre-Nextel) job site radios and of course Smokey and the Bandit: Breakabreak gotchyourearson, 10-4 good buddy, going code 7, etc.

We have purchased a 25 watt VHF radio and 8' whip for our Bell Boy Express that will be used on the Sound (or Salish Sea, if you prefer). For our lake boats, I am considering a hand-held 2-5 watt. Is this overkill? Are cell phones used more often? Can they be heard regardless; over the din of our powerplants@full song?

I know that the club has a VHF class scheduled??? Thought this would be a good conversation for the uninitiated like myself.......OVER!

VHF Radios

Greg -

In my experience, handheld VHFs work great for almost all of our club events, since we're usually fairly close to each other and, maybe more importantly, there's nothing louder than the squawk of a VHF set to high volume.

While most members also carry cell phones, I don't think I've ever once picked up a cell call while running at speed; I never hear the thing, and end up calling the party back after shutting down the engine and realizing there are messages. (And that's with the volume turned up and vibrator on. I'm obviously not only old and deaf, but increasingly numb, too.)

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I vote for VHF. I got a handheld for Christmas. Haven't charged the batteries yet. Presently have no one to talk to.
      Jerry
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 9038
        Greg -

In my experience, handheld VHFs work great for almost all of our club events, since we're usually fairly close to each other.

While most members also carry cell phones, I don't think I've ever once picked up a cell call while running at speed; I never hear the thing, and end up calling the party back after shutting down the engine and realizing there are messages. (And that's with the volume turned up and vibrator on.
        - Marty
        I agree with Marty on the cel phone problems posted above. Another thing i have heard if you call outside of your area code , the CG could be looking for you in the wrong area code if you don't tell them where you are. That's where the GPS comes in handy. For the Skagit ( when it is done ) and G-3 i have the portable VHF and the built in one on the Farallon with a 8' antenna. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Jerry, Did your VHF come with a charger stand ? Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Good choice.
            You have quite a bit more range with that package.

VHF is the way to go.

I have a cell phone, ham radio and the marine VHF that I keep around.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yah Chuck, you need one? I have one for my 15 year old Icom that still works (in fact the radio works fine in the charger but I can't find batteries for it anymore).
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

10-4...

Roger that: Handheld it is! ....Over

Thanks all for your input, Jerry you crack me up.

Comment

Working...
                X