Classic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic?

Good morning guys, hope your coffee is taking effect...

While cruising the requisite sites this morning;took some time to check out the new FG...very nice. I was surprised by the amount of posts looking for the 70's boat section. Tilting my head like the RCA dog, my mind wondered if the "expanded" focus was missing the point?

In regards to the niche, that is the Northwest Classic Boat Club:

What makes something classic?

What defining features make a boat classic, if any?

On Opening Day for example: Are there any vessels that would be inappropriate?

When coming to the Northwest Classic Boat Club site, what are you looking for?
    Attached Files

Greg, I would say anything 25 years or older. But that's just my idea and i would not tell someone with a newer boat that he or she can not play with us ! LOL ! As a example, i saw a 1979 20' " what you call it " and i think that would be a cool boat to own.Meeting new boating people and just go out and have fun, That's what this is all about. And while i'am at it, this year i will be hitting the big 69 ( every year is big now ) and sometimes i wonder how much longer i will be boating. As long as i have some of you nice guys around ( hint hint ) when i am in my 80's ( i hope i get that far ! ) to help me get the sucker on the trailer ( and maybe to back the trailer down the ramp as i have heard some guys forget where the brake pedal is at that age ) i will keep on doing it and meeting some new young wippersnappers to NWCBC. lol Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Personally, I feel that what is more important than age, is relative uniqueness. I would rather see a 10 year old boat that was only produced for a year than a 25 year old boat that has 10,000 siblings...

I know I am an active member of Northwest Classic Boat Club because I enjoy using my boats and I enjoy using my boat with others, and thats really what this club is all about. Even the ACBS club will allow some of their members to particapate in events even though they are using a newer "plastic" boat because their woody is still in resto...
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Whats a classic?

I think a classic is in the eye of the beholder. I keep getting drawn toward an early 70s 24' fiberform because my dad had one and we would cruise everywhere on it. Ive seen some boats that dont do anything for me but the owner is putting thousands into it and cant stop talking about it. I say classics are as individual as we are. John

Comment

This is what ACBS saids. You don't even have to have a boat to join !

ACBS, Inc. Boat Classifications

Historic: A boat built in the period of 1918 or previous.

Antique: A boat built in the period 1919 - 1942

Classic: A boat built in the period 1943 - 1968

Contemporary Classic: A boat built in the period 1968 through the present

Replica: A boat built in a non-production manner, intended to be one of a kind, and usually a copy or duplicate of a boat previously built or manufactured.
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Sadly for ACBS, actions speak louder than words. The national judges wouldn't even look at my 2001 Fibergalss hull Mahogany deck Gentlemans race boat replica. They just closed their notebooks and walked away. Local clubs are much more friendly, but I got soured on their say one thing do another attitude.
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Classics...

That's what I love about the Northwest Classic Boat Club: We have broadened the definition of "classic" to embrace any/all classic designs, regardless of the materials used in construction, and without a lot of scrutiny as to when they were built. Modern classics such as Jack and Kathie's are obviously "classic" by anybody's definition. So are a bunch of other newer classic designs...even though most of the boats in the club tend to be older.

With NWCBC, it's about appreciating classic designs and enjoying the use of them on the water--not about judging, awards, ego trips or cliqueish behavior. In that sense, we're about boating and friendships with fellow boaters...more than we're about judging who has the most classic boat, or thinking it's our role to decide what's classic, and what is not. As someone else said, "classic" is in the eye of the beholder, and we have eyes for a very wide range of boats!

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

It just has to look Classic.

Problem with my 70's Fiberform, its resembles a bayliner
                In the picture, the fiberform is 24 feet, my little RV is only 19 feet
                Attached Files
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Think that is the same as the Fiberform I used to have only it was a few years earlier and was the color of your RV. We kept it in a boat house and didn't tow it. Our worst problem was a faulty carb, I think. Coming in to a dock, you had to come in at fairly high RPM and slam it into reverse or the engine would die and you would smack the dock.
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                  X