Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Free Boat Claimed

I did it again...

A fellow not far from us offered this free 28-foot cruiser project, built in 1958 by Henry A. Long (H.A. Long Boatworks) of Olympia. The hull used to have a cabin, but it was in bad shape so the owner removed it years ago, then rebuilt the deck, replaced some bottom and side planks, refastened the entire hull with silicon bronze screws, replaced all of the through-hull fittings and otherwise did some great work...but stalled out 10 years ago and put the boat away, fortunately under cover.

There is no engine, but the hull comes with running gear--shaft, strut, rudder and prop.

The double-ended planing hull resembles a Bartender, but with more flair forward and a stern that is less 'pointy' than the Bartenders. Overall, it's a handsome thing--cedar planked above the waterline and planked with mahogany on the bottom--that should handle rough water wonderfully. The main debate will be whether to make it a planing hull (which would require a fair amount of fuel-hungry power), or go with a displacement-hull approach--modest, fuel-efficient power and lower, non-planing speeds.

Anybody have any cabin designs they'd like to suggest? My first inclination is to go with a 1940's-style express-cruiser cabin in mahogany...sort of like a '40's Chris-Craft cruiser.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Possible Cabin Design....

The 1940's Chris-Craft cruiser shown below is sort of what I'd like to see for a cabin on the free 28-foot hull described above. (I wouldn't have a painted windshield, like this one, but you get the general idea.)

Other thoughts??

- Marty
    Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I think that would be gorgeous, Marty. Man, the lines of that hull are sweet.

Comment

I would like to buy the boat stands that are under it

Looks like another project to me
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Helmar....

I was wondering how many minutes it would take you to ask about the boat stands--you're right on schedule!

(Sorry, the boat will come off of the trailer soon, since I need to use it to move another project...so I'm afraid I'll need to keep the stands, Joe.)

- Ole

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 10055
            I was wondering how many minutes it would take you to ask about the boat stands--you're right on schedule!

(Sorry, the boat will come off of the trailer soon, since I need to use it to move another project...so I'm afraid I'll need to keep the stands, Joe.)

- Ole

Rats.......
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Marty ,
              Sounds like you are $3 ahead with the first screw......
              I can hear the neighbors (Where it once sat) cheering from here.
              I`m really glad the big boats haven`t gotten my attention ....yet.
              TimM
              PS Found a nice cabin to look at.$2000 for this one,looks pretty nice.
              Attached Files
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Matter of degree...

It is always nice to be reminded that some people have the disease worse than others (me).
                That is a sweet hull Marty, Mattson is right; with some Tom Sawyer negotiation the neighbors may pay your moving and storage costs to improve the view.

If you ever have any time to wrench on something for yourself, I'm sure that the cabin structure you dream up will be first-class. Interesting that Tim and I have similar taste to chose the Chris Craft (in the pic), I was telling Steve Kiesel-as we were admiring it on the ship canal last weekend, that I had considered the purchase as a live-aboard just in case/when my squeeze had enough of my boat addiction. The cabin is my favorite of all time but the wheelhouse seems to miss a bit.

Love the stylin' Kalakala feel to the 40's Chris Craft pic.

P.S. great stern section! hard to pass up.

Comment

I see a triple cockpit; 12 cylinder racer.

What do you think?
                  Robert Augur

Comment

Chris-Craft, Ballard

Tim and Greg -

I think that's the same Chris-Craft that used to belong to a friend of mine.

The vertical wheelhouse posts and hardtop are not original...you can see that it originally had the raked-back wooden windshield frame and probably a canvas top. (While the Alaska bulkhead/hardtop approach is obviously practical, it sure fights with lines of the Chris-Craft.)

The big debate with the 28-foot freebie will be "planing" or "displacement hull." In order to get the boat on a true plane, including the extra weight of a cabin, I'll need a fair amount of power...which by definition would have to be a V-8 gas engine, since I can't afford something like a new turbo-diesel. So as a planing boat it would be fast but obviously not fuel-efficient. My temptation is to build it as a 8- to 10-knot semi-displacement hull with modest, fuel-efficient power.

More to come as we stare at the boat...

- Marty
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X