Kicker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicker

Good evening everybody. I am new to this forum and from what I have been reading I really like how it is. Now to my question. I have a 1960 Saber Craft Impella 17' and am running a 63 Merc 500 I am woundering what would be a good size for a kicker/trolling motor for it. Thank you. PS I will be getting Pics of my boat up soon as I am able to take some.

Hi Scimpella,
    Welcome to the club. Kicker possibility for your boat are almost endless. In part, it depends on how you plan to use the boat. If on small lakes, you could get by with something as small or even an electric trolling motor. I've used a 46 lb. thrust electric motor to get my 18 foot boat home about a mile away on the salt chuck with a strong tidal current running against me. It moved the boat at 1 mph and got me home. I'd suggest 5 hp would be adequate for trolling and backup on small lakes. I'd go for something around 8-10 hp. for use on larger bodies of water or rivers. I'd look for a 4 cycle. While they are heavier to lift, more and more places are banning 2 cycle outboards.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Hi and Welcome aboard.

Kickers can be anything from a trolling motor to whatever size your kicker motor bracket will handle.
      I have a 20 Skagit Offshore and she has a 15hp kicker hanging on the back.

Like Jerry says, really depends on where your boating and the conditions.:BigHappy1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Kicker for Impella

For that boat, I'd go with a 4-5hp, which would be fine for trolling and getting you home in an emergency. (Your boat is not big or heavy enough to demand a 10hp or larger kicker.)

Look forward to seeing photos of your Sabrecraft!

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Guys. This is a great place to get the info that we can use. I have a chance to get a 54 lauson 6hp for my boat and think I will. It would be nice to keep period equipment on my boat. Again thanks and I will be getting some pics hopefully this weekend if the weather cooperates and I can widdle the honey do list down a little.

Comment

There you go. An interesting 4 cycle outboard. If you want to keep it original, you'll want the lower cowling and the oil gauge. Many of those were removed over the years.
            There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
            X