New/Old Skagit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/Old Skagit

Having sold the 1956 Reinell and a few other miscellaneous items, I bought this 1958 17' Skagit inboard from a friend who lives near Mats Mats Bay (north of Port Ludlow, just down the road from us). We had some experience with the boat four years ago, when it showed up at one of our Lake Crescent meets...and I've been thinking about the inboard Skagit ever since.

This is one turnkey, but of course that doesn't mean there aren't more things that could be done to it. But for this summer we'll just enjoy the Skagit as-is, since it's functional and decent looking as-is.

The boat is powered by a 327 that purrs like a very large kitten.

At this point, I guess the inboard Skagit will make its club debut at Lake Tapps.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Marty, That is one very nice boat ! I remember it sitting at the dock over at Lake Crescent ( as you say ) just purring away. Did they make very many of them ? Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

This is the Pacific Northwest, needs a top
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

How Many Skagit 17 Inboards?

Chuck -

I've only been aware of four 17-foot Skagit inboards, but based on what former employees of the company said in past years, it's possible that they built perhaps a dozen of them altogether...(?) Really just a wild guess, since exact records--if they ever had them--have been lost to time.

Helmar - Did the Vikings have Bimini Tops? You're getting soft in your old age, Helmar!

- Ole...(still boating in the rain without a top)

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Never have been a big fan of Bimini Tops ,but they sure do keep the rain more or less out. It took me 6 years before i broke down and put one on the Rosario in 07. When it was not extended it looks fine to me , but you got it to protect you when it was opened and raining like it is right now.Best,Chuck.
          Attached Files

Comment

Tops

Chuck (and Helmar) -

Besides the aesthetic question, it would be difficult to fit any kind of top on the Skagit 17 inboard, since crawling over the engine box and full-width bench seat would be difficult under any kind of top...unless the thing was high in the air, which would look pretty gross on a classic inboard runabout.

Don't get me wrong. I love having tops, but they're a lot easier to deal with on an express cruiser design.

- Marty

Comment

Great Skagit Marty, hate to see the Reinell go but that V-8 rumble is sure to make Mo a happy camper. Looking forward to hitchin' a ride.

Comment

Marty, It looks fine the way it is. You could wear a poncho or something like the G-3 picture. Best,Chuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Marty.
                  Very cool. Gotta love those Skagit inboards. Is that the Gray Marine/AMC 327 or a Chevy? If it's the Gray Marine Fireball ( strange name choice for a boat engine) I have a whole spare one if you need parts. Just had the starter rebuilt. That's going to be a fun boat.:boater1::GoodJob:
                  1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Wow, nice boat! Pretty plush after the Reinell, huh? I'm definitely going to hit you up for a ride next time I have the chance. What a cruiser!

Tim

Comment

Gray Marine Fireball

Mike -

You're right--it's strange to think of having a Fireball in your boat, but that's what it is--the AMC 327.

I'd be very interested in your AMC 327, if it's for sale.

Thanks,

Marty

Comment

Rainy day cure...

We need some video Marty, and want to hear your FireBall doing what it does best! :GoodJob:

Comment

Fireball Video

Greg -

Okay, I'll shoot video the next time I light up the Fireball. With that engine, the sound is better than the pictures, so video makes sense to me, too.

- Marty

Comment

Super nice inboard Glassic. I think the trailer and rims are cool too. CLEAN MACHINE.....Mike
                            >>>Mike<<<

Comment

CONGRATS!!!

Can't wait to see this beauty on the water!! We will have to arrange some photos of your new ride and our Chris Craft running together, seeing as they are so similar...
                              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X