Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit 20 stuff

Hello out there fellow boating nuts.

I've been working on a little custom part for my Skagit 20 and wanted to tell you about it. I'm not advertising, just making known what I'm doing and offering a chance to anyone interested.

In short, I've built a custom bracket for the upper windshield of my boat. Why? Because I felt like it... and if I'm going to use plastic for the upper windshield frame, it just seemed logical to do it. Plus, it gives it a bit of character. Just sticking a little pole-type brace there looked stupid and got in the way.

Seen here, the prototype which will be used as the plug for the aluminum casting I'm having made. It is custom built brace to fit the 1957 and 58 skagit 17's and 20's upper split windshield.

The dimensions are seen in the picture. It sits flat and has no angle leaning left or right. It could be used in other applications if so desired however its intended use is for the skagit upper windshield as stated above. If flipped on it's other flat side, it'd make some really nice windshield mounts for some custom job too. Or, file it down into something smaller if you wish.

This item comes raw & unfinished. It is a sand casted part. If purchased, it would be the responsibily of the buyer to finish the product. Filing, sanding & buffing will be necessary to complete a finished look as seen in the picture. The brace seen in the picture is the prototype, not the finished product. What you're looking at is the original mock up and it's coated with chrome paint to simulate one possible look.

Depending on how many are wanted (if any), the price each is ranging around 150.00 plus shipping but could go down depending on quantity. This is not the final price. I will know more based on response.

This will be a one-time production run. If anyone is interested, let me know. I will be doing this within the next month roughly.

If anyone wants one but doesn't think the price is worth it... you're welcome to try it yourself. I loosely photographed and documented the creation of this mock up... it's located here:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/galleri...onal/skagit/8/

Thanks for looking.

Happy boating.

Kelly Wood.
    Attached Files

Nice Brace Kelly

Nice looking pc of aircraft quality non-ferrous metal.Now to make some matching footbraces for the Captain`s Footrest!
    Mine gets used alot when wanting to watch for debris lines.
    If Alum then I`d etch it and primer with epoxy it so it never pits.Tired of polishing Alum so primer works for me.Of course twinkling Alum that looks like chrome is good too,just hard to find wax or a clear that lasts in my type of saltwater use.
    TimM
    Seattle
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Windshield braces

Kelly -

Nice design; I especially like the racy, drilled-out holes...which in real life would probably have things tied to them, such as lanyards for the handheld GPS unit (that's always falling off the dash), etc.

I'll take one, for sure, if the price is not more than $150 plus shipping.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by norseboater, post: 879
        Kelly -

Nice design; I especially like the racy, drilled-out holes...which in real life would probably have things tied to them, such as lanyards for the handheld GPS unit (that's always falling off the dash), etc.

I'll take one, for sure, if the price is not more than $150 plus shipping.

- Marty
        Yea really. I considereed putting a lip on my dash but that'd ruin the whole sleek look of her and I hate stuff falling off too. It's how I lost my first camera.

I'll put you on the list and chime in when I have more details. So far, that's three I'm getting made.

Kelly

Comment

Dang it. Now I need to look for a Skagit so I can use this cool part!
          BRIAN FRANCHINI
          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Looking for a Skagit, Brian...?

...I know you're kidding, but if you ever want a 20 Express, you know where to find me.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Skagit 20 Windshield Braces

Hey guys, remember that big brace I made?

Well, here's the side pieces I whipped up.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/glassic...stom-parts-101

Kelly

Comment

elbow grease...

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 883
                ...I know you're kidding, but if you ever want a 20 Express, you know where to find me.

- Marty
                Hey Marty,

I thought you sold the inboard 20 Express??, it disappeared off of the for sale section of your website...still am dreaming of that one!

Good work, Kelly-you have way more energy than I. Some imagination is required to deal with those rough castings. With all of the machine shops running at half capacity, I bet getting CNC milled/finished emblems and brackets would be very economical.

Keep that dust flyin'

Comment

Skagit 20 Chinook

Greg -

I pulled the Skagit 20 listing since I decided (at least for now) to keep the boat. But, then, I also decided against selling the 1958 Bell Boy 16 express for the same reason...so there's a pending conflict. I probably won't keep both of them long-term, but removing the ads gave me time to think harder about which one to keep...or whether to hang onto both, since I love 'em equally, and can rationalize that they're different enough to both stay in the motley fleet.

My theory has always been "When in doubt, get another boat. It'll help crystalize your thinking about the ones you dragged home earlier."

- Marty

Comment

Working...
                  X