Countdown to launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to launch

My daughter Zoanna came up to Friday Harbor saturday to give me a hand with the interior. We spent the day installing the vinyl around the windows. Now that the vinyl is in the wrap-around windows can be installed. Put this off to the last..!

Got quite a few things on my list between now and then.

After the day of installing vinyl, Zoanna bought me a shot of tequila! What a daughter!

Will mail off the application and check for insurance tomorrow. More later as launch day approaches.

Cheers,

Tim aka McSkagit
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Saratogan's Interior

Tim -

You're a lucky man--what a daughter, indeed! It's great that you've had some help from your kids...and the interior's going to look at least as good as the outside of the big Saratogan.

Glad you've set a launch date, too. Are you planning to be out of your shop by the end of the month, assuming you launch on the 28th?

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Four sons and it has been 40 years or more since one of them gave me any help building a boat! You are a lucky man indeed! I was looking forward to being at the launch but, figuring nothing ever happens on time, I made plans to go to Eastern Washington fishing for a couple of weeks. Well, we'll definately make plans to see it before too long! I'll remember to drink a toast to the Saratogan on the 28th.
      Jerry
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Tim ! What a dash you have in that picture. One of the nicest one's i have ever seen.Where did you get that Skagit hat your daughter has on. If you want to e-mail me that answer it is charlescarey@frontier.com I'am going to need a new one. Best,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Skagit hats

The hats is courtesy of Aussie Jim and Barbara Knowles. It's the Australian Chapter Club! Don't know if he has any more that he wants to part with? I'll ask.. Thanks for the kudos on the dash. It's all custom...the main panel I inverted so that the tachs are at the bottom clear of the wheel rim. Custom ignition switch and trim tab switch bezel as well.

Tim

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 13651
          Tim ! What a dash you have in that picture. One of the nicest one's i have ever seen.Where did you get that Skagit hat your daughter has on. If you want to e-mail me that answer it is charlescarey@frontier.com I'am going to need a new one. Best,Chuck

Comment

Moving out of shop

Marty,
            Between finishing the boat and trying to move it's overwhelming. I have so much stuff. I'm going to have another yard sale this weekend. I'm preying for sun or at least not rain. Same for launchg day...

Tim

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13649
            Tim -

You're a lucky man--what a daughter, indeed! It's great that you've had some help from your kids...and the interior's going to look at least as good as the outside of the big Saratogan.

Glad you've set a launch date, too. Are you planning to be out of your shop by the end of the month, assuming you launch on the 28th?

- Marty

Comment

Jerry is goning fishing launch day....

Okay, Jerry...you enjoy eastern Washington. I'll cruise up Hale Passage and stop and say hello some day in the future. I'll give you a little advance notice. Have a good one...

Tim

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 13650
              Four sons and it has been 40 years or more since one of them gave me any help building a boat! You are a lucky man indeed! I was looking forward to being at the launch but, figuring nothing ever happens on time, I made plans to go to Eastern Washington fishing for a couple of weeks. Well, we'll definately make plans to see it before too long! I'll remember to drink a toast to the Saratogan on the 28th.
              Jerry

Comment

Great pics ,
                I love the smell of Vinyl (and Tequilla) in the Morining, smells like ,well ......,uhmm ,Victory.
                Practice smiling or your face will be aching for weels after launching.VeryBigSmile
                Thanx for sharing too.
                TimM
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

WOW. I cant wait to see pics of her out of the man cave and see some water pics. You have to be thrilled, I would be, Mike
                  PS...
                  Good luck and dont forget the drain plug!
                  >>>Mike<<<

Comment

The Smell of Victory!

Very funny Tim! I got a good belly laugh yesterday morning reading this! Really stressed out as I near launch. Thanks for the laugh and advice!
                    Made my day!
                    Tim (aka) McSkagit

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 13666
                    Great pics ,
                    I love the smell of Vinyl (and Tequilla) in the Morining, smells like ,well ......,uhmm ,Victory.
                    Practice smiling or your face will be aching for weels after launching.VeryBigSmile
                    Thanx for sharing too.
                    TimM

Comment

Check this out!

Well, I've left the curved glass in the front of the cabin until last...DUMB!

I hired a glass company a couple months back to install the center flat glass in the bridge. It was painful to watch...the guy pounding on the bridge frame. Broke the first glass and scratched the frame, but got the glass installed.

I learned something from watching him. I decided to purchase a vacuum cup or two to make handling the glass easier. Looked at many on line similar to the one the glass guy used. They were expensive...$60 to $120!

Last week I found an inexpensive one in the new Rockler Woodworking catalog. $7.19 each. I bought two. Vacuum cups are amazing. Says in catalog they will hold 100 pounds. I belive it. I really yanked hard on them...!!

Tried them out last night along with the other important glass tool, a cotter pin extractor. I dulled the point on the extractor and then ground a ball end on it then polished the ball.

Happy to report that I got the port curved glass in in under two hours. Surprised even me! Nothing like the right tools!

Hope the starboard one goes as easy! Pics attached.

Tim (aka McSkagit)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Launch..hope the weather improves!

Oh yeah, the drain plug! Ten years ago I repowered a 19 foot Seasport...took out a 4-banger and put in a roller cam 350. Delivered the boat to the guy with the drain plug out...put the plug at the helm so he couldn't miss it.
                        He missed it and launched sans plug! Well the rest of the story isn't pretty!
                        Luckily he didn't sue me!

Can't wait to see the old girl float!
                        McSkagit

Originally posted by Bigfoot, post: 13681
                        WOW. I cant wait to see pics of her out of the man cave and see some water pics. You have to be thrilled, I would be, Mike
                        PS...
                        Good luck and dont forget the drain plug!

Comment

Slick-um

Tim, that is quite a hunk of glass! You probably know this, but a little dish washing liquid on the rubber and glass helps to slip the glass in the channel. Keep up the good work, you are almost there. Way to go! - Ross
                          Ross Henson

Comment

Installing glass

Ross,
                            Yes, I used 50% dishwashing detergent and water. All this cabin glass is plexi. I polished the edges which I think helps a lot. The laminated auto glass was a lot tougher to install.
                            Thanks for the tip....

Tim

Originally posted by Yardman, post: 13698
                            Tim, that is quite a hunk of glass! You probably know this, but a little dish washing liquid on the rubber and glass helps to slip the glass in the channel. Keep up the good work, you are almost there. Way to go! - Ross

Comment

All glass in the Saratogan

Installed the starboard curved glass in the cabin front today. Took three hours. Center flat section took about an hour. Still have to run a bead of sealer around the glass and install the lock strip.

Talked to Jensen's Shipyard today. Looks like they can't launch the 31 until Oct. 4th. Boss is going on vacation! That will give me a few extra days..

Progress!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X