Skagit 31 Launch Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit 31 Launch Today

WOW! After 23 years, I finally launched my 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan. Been a stessful couple of days...working 12 and 14 hours a day. It all came together today with the launch. My new friend Jeremiah helped me load the boat on the trailer and he towed it with his truck to the marina...about 5 miles.

Got her in the water and a bit shocked at how low she sits. Weighs a bit more than I expected....11000 pounds. Spent an hour checking the propeller shaft alignment and then finally under way.

Steve Pierce took some of the launch party on his boat and shot a bunch of pictures. First stop fuel dock for 60 gallons fuel.

Then headed out in the bay for some sea trials. The boat is VERY smooth and also surprisingly quiet. Took it up to about 25 knots and it was getting hard to steer and a little squirrely, so I slowed down.

Tried the one engine test and was shocked that it will plane on one engine. Didn't have a GPS, but guessing 17 knots on one engine.

Got a few issues to deal with...she is a bit overweight in the stern and a candidate for hydraulic steering.

All things considered she is a beautiful boat and everyone has to come down and see what it is.

As launch date approached, I was getting nervous about how good a boat this actualy is. Purchasing the boat many years ago and putting thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars into it, a boat that I though was "cool" as a kid! I was 11 years old! What did I know?

More pics later....

I'm pooped!

Tim McSkagit
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Oh, yah! Now that's a BOAT!!! Congratulations on a magnificant yacht! Sounds like she will be able to hold her own against any Skagit out there.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Wow...

Congratulations on the launch, Tim. The big 31 is spectacular to look at, but as you know too well, the real beauty is in all of the largely-invisible things you did to make her a feat of engineering...not just a pretty face!

Great to learn that she'll plane on one engine--quite a bonus.

Can't wait to see in-the-water photos...and come up to shoot some of my own images, including a lot of boat-to-boat running shots.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Oh my. She is GORGEOUS! Well done!
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

In the water pics

Sound good Marty, anytime.....
          Tim

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13996
          Congratulations on the launch, Tim. The big 31 is spectacular to look at, but as you know too well, the real beauty is in all of the largely-invisible things you did to make her a feat of engineering...not just a pretty face!

Great to learn that she'll plane on one engine--quite a bonus.

Can't wait to see in-the-water photos...and come up to shoot some of my own images, including a lot of boat-to-boat running shots.

- Marty

Comment

Absolutely Beautiful !
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Wow, she's a beauty Tim! :cool1:
              Mark
              Silverdale, WA.
              1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Tim.
                Can't be said enough, absolutely beautiful!!! You've set the benchmark. Congratulations. You deserve a nap.
                1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Tim,Congratulations!!!!!!! That is one very nice boat ! The picture showing her in the water could blow a person mind the first time they see her. I bet you did not sleep after putting her in the water ? What's her name ? She looks like she is about 50 feet long. I bet those ferry captain's in the San Juan's will slow down to take a good look at her being they have not seen anything like her up there or anywhere else. Best,Chuck
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Tim in the water

Tim, I think you were doing at least 30 knots.

The first photo is Tim running away, and I was going at least 22 knts. He let me catch up. Many more photos to post.

Oh yea, nice rumble Tim! Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, wow, wow and wow
                      Robert Augur

Comment

Fantastic,

Your finished product is what all of us lay awake at night dreaming for our own boats.

Congratulations!

Karl
                        17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                        18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                        19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                        25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                        14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                        14' Stilleto

Comment

Thanks for all the Kudos guys!

Thanks for all the positive input guys.!

Took the boat over to Jones Island about 1pm today. Sunny and warm. Sorted out a few issues (the throttles), set the idle speed up about 50 revs which eliminated the neutral gear clatter and generally cleaned up years of saw dust and parts and tools. Beautiful afternoon out there...I needed a day off!

Boat feels heavy and is very soft riding. Went over a wake from a commercial fish boat that was steaming along at a good clip. Hardly felt his wake and no spray on the windows.

As I was pulling into my slip which is right next to the ferry slip in Friday Harbor, the captain of the Elwha came out of the wheel house and gave me a thumbs up! Felt pretty good!

Not only is it great to have the Saratogan floating, but it's great to be back on the water again. Dry spell after selling my Glasply 23 tow boat about a year and a half ago.

Thanks for the pics Steve! Look forward to more..

Tim
                          Attached Files

Comment

McSkagit,
                            I`m speechless as both thumbs are in the fully upright and locked position.
                            Does your face hurt from smiling yet?
                            That is called raising the "High Bar"!:HandHorn1:
                            TimM
                            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                            SeaRay 175BR
                            Hi-Laker lapline
                            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 14012
                              Thanks for all the positive input guys.!

As I was pulling into my slip which is right next to the ferry slip in Friday Harbor, the captain of the Elwha came out of the wheel house and gave me a thumbs up! Felt pretty good!

Tim
                              Tim, I told you those ferry captain's would like her. They might even blow their horn at you when you are out and about in the islands. I had my wife come down to my office to look at her. Sheila love's it. Chuck
                              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                              X