• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 14099
    Thanks for the link, Joe.

Looking back! WOW! What a project!
    Wow has to be an understatement.

I am sure looking back has to make you feel good.

Big thing now with all the storm stuff coming, what is in the plans on getting her covered. Hope you can protect her...:Cold1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Storm? !

Haven't been listening to the weather. I'll probably have a partial cockpit cover made since I can't afford a top right now.

Been raining here. Only leak I have is the mast bolts aren't sealed yet. Need to get the wiring to the mast completed then I can seal the bolts. Also don't have a cabin door yet, so concerned about otters and the neighbor told me about a racoon that made a mess in his boat. Working on the door now. Should be ready in a few days.

Tim
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Congratulations!

Tim,

She is beautiful and I hope continues to exceed your expectations and hopes!

Once you have her loaded for cruising and geared up forward, perhaps she'll be a bit closer to the waterline. But as you know, the diesels weigh a lot more than the original gas motors, plus (If I recall) you engineered an electric system in as well?? All in all, she's not that far off!

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you sometime next summer when we're cruising. It'll be a turquiose and white rendezvous...:BigHappy1:

Fantastic!

Dick Dow

Comment

Yesterday's test run

Good to hear from you Dick. Thanks for the kudos!

I raised the waterline 1 1/4 inches to compensate for the added weight of the diesel engines. Took one depleted set of six volt batteries out of the stern, filled the bow water tank with about 40 gallons and moved a few things around. She now sits on her lines with about 3/4 inch of bottom paint showing all around. Can't believe the water line came out so close!

Took the boat over to Jones Island again yesterday and enjoyed the sun and warm summer afternoon. Pecked away at a few undone projects. By 4:00ish, was wishing I had brought my moon chair, BBQ and a brewski or twoski. Alas, I had none of the above....

The adjusted rudders are much better. May experiment with tow-in or tow-out of the rudders to eliminate the tendency to pull to starboard. If that doesn't work, will add a small tab to one of the rudders.

Coming back to Friday Harbor yesterday, I put the throttles to the firewall. Both engines hit 4000 rpm (they are rated at 3900), so they are a bit under-propped. Still don't have my GPS set up, but must have been doing over 30 knots! The ensign on the stern flag staff was whipping so violently from the wind pressure, I thought it was going to be pulled out by the roots!

There were two couples waiting at the dock to look at the boat when I arrived in Friday. Boat is very easy to handle...backed her into the slip like I do it every day.

Hello to Dallas and Cari club members who came down to scope out the Saratogan. Really great to meet and talk with you both.

The Saratogan is a very sophisticated hull. Howard Roberts her designer and builder knew what he was doing. I'm on cloud nine...what can I say.

More later,

Tim

Comment

??rudder alignment

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...dder-Alignment

I have a 28' twin straight thru rigged Carver Monterey 1973. I set the rudders just a little toe in. 1/4". My tie rod is adjustable similar to a automobile front end. I did switch from push-pull cable to 2 helms to SeaStar (teleflex) hydraulic. WOW!

Howard Haynes
            '60 Glasspar G3
            '73 Carver Monterey
            70 Livingston 10'
            Canoe and 2 place Kayak

Comment

Beautiful in person...

Hi Tim,

Thanks again for giving Dallas and I a tour. We have known for quite some time that we wanted to invest in one of these classics but seeing her on the water gave us a kick in the pants to get serious. Good luck with the finishing touches, she is a beautiful boat... a head-turner for sure.

Comment

Two Weeks Since Launch - Some Impressions

Been two weeks since launching the Saratogan. Beginning to sink in that the boat is actually in the water. Been working on a few parts, mostly the cabin door. It's nearly complete and in the varnish phase now.

The boat is so smooth, I don't feel the speed. Looking at the shoreline moving by makes me realize the boat is doing a good clip. Look forward to getting the acoustic insulation in to quiet it down a bit. Can't find the power cable for the GPS!

Haven't had it out in any sizable chop yet. Guessing it might be a little wet from the bow wave/spray. The boat is comfortable and really like the big cockpit which is 8 X 12 feet.

Jerry and Becky McRorie came over Saturday to look at the boat. We took a little cruise over to Jones Island, Deer Harbor and back to Friday Harbor via Pole Pass and Wasp Pass. Was a bit cool, so had both cockpit heaters going. Jerry and Becky brought a launch gift, a bottle of Tequila. They also treated me to lunch. Thank you so much Jerry and Becky! Great to see you!

Saturday afternoon I ran over to Parks Bay, thinking I might anchor for the afternoon, but the wind was from the west, and the thought of retrieving the anchor didn't appeal much to me. Went back to Friday Harbor and sat in the sun in my moon chair. A steady stream of people (I'm guessing 30) came down to inspect the boat...ask questions and shoot photos. Steve, I didn't get your last name....?

Wish winter wasn't closing in.... That diesel galley stove is the best thing since sliced bread! I've still got lots to do... So far, so good.

McSkagit

Comment

A wonderful sight!

Okay, must confess when Tim went to move his truck, I sat at the wheel for a bit and pretended I was running the Saratogan. It was a real treat. I suggested to Tim that, since he is going to have a lot of lookyloos, he should make a list of simple tasks they can do while admiring his boat. (Of course, this suggestion was after we had a great visit and a super ride.) That sucker is so smooth through chop and over wakes of ferries. The heat to the open cockpit was a fantastic idea. Cozy as could be on a chilly day. Thanks again Tim.
                  Jerry and Becky
                  Attached Files
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Speed tests, Restoration Remorse!?

Restoration remorse? I don't know....? Thinking about how much of my life (and money) I spent working on this boat! Was it worth it? The compliments are many. A guy named Steven (more on Steven later) came down to look yesterday and described the Saratogan as "magnificent"!

Steven said he had seven boats over 40 feet and a very large barn stuffed with boat hardware. Said he has hired a guy to sort through the stuff and sell it via Craigslist and eBay. He invited me over to have a look. I said, "Oh great, just what I need...more boat stuff"! We both laughed!

Found the power cable for my GPS, so yesterday afternoon, a beautiful sunny day, took the Saratogan out for some speed measurments. Quite a bit of current in San Juan Channel, so I ran two directions, not necessarily the exact reciprocal course. So speeds are approximate. Not quite as fast as I anticipated, but fast enough. She's under-propped, so if top speed were the objective, I'm sure I could get a few more knots out of her with more pitch.

Wide open throttle (WOT) 3900 rpm = 27.2 knots (30 mph)
                    2800 rpm = 18 knots - nice cruise
                    3000 rpm = 19.5 knots - nice cruise
                    Single engine WOT 3400 rpm 14 knots planes out on one engine!
                    idle speed two engines 4.5 knots
                    Idle speed one engine 3.3 knots.

Quite a bit of noise at full throttle and difficult to tell if the engines are synced. The two tachs are 200 rpm off from each other, and I don't know which one is right. Will have to borrow a stroboscopic tach to see which one is correct. Then adjust the other one..

Comment

historic Skagit 31 photos

Here are some 1950's photos of the 31', in LaConner.

I don't think the 31' hull being launched is Tim's, but it may be in the other photos.

I have many more Skagit 1950's photos, if anyone want's to see them?

Enjoy........Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

More photos? Yes please.

Have any pics f the 59/60 24' cruiser?

Thanks
                        Robert Augur

Comment

Another picture of the Saratogan from Launch Day

Steve Pierce sent me a CD with a bunch of pictures today. Here is one of my favs from Steve's camera. Cropped it a bit. Love the lines of the Saratogan. Never seen anything like it!

Thanks Steve,

Tim

Comment

Working...
                          X