Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip to Sac Delta!

Hey guys ,
    Just returned from a Craiglist Retrieval that involved towing an empty trailer to the Delta,pulling out a 25` Swedish Power sailor,and finally prepping it for the long journey back up I-5 to Seattle.
    Getting the hull strapped and blocked took some effort but we were armed with Boattands,jacks ,blocks,straps and wedges galore.
    Getting thru the Sacremento crowd on I-5 was pretty un-nerving ,but after the suicide road they call the "Levee Road " which resembled the Anacortas hwy only built on Peet with maybe 8 foot 6 of road each way.
    Add the camber from multiple road failures all the way along the 12 miles and it was hard to look around ...which when you did,revealed "Sitzmarks" where cars and trucks had plopped and wrecked almost every 100 yards or so.
    Once on I-5 ,the speeds of cars and trucks around us seemed over the top.
    Then a Woman riding a Harley passed everybody doing maybe 100....in a tanktop!:shocked4:

It took a little longer to get the rest of the way home after going thru some "technical" difficulties,namely my Truck having first a weak fuel pump,then a blown waterpump after a couple summits past Redding Ca.
    Luckily our first stop brought us literally to the roll-up door of the GM service Dept.The Manager showed up Sat am but said he couldn`t do anything until Monday am.Had a Starbucks across the street....nicest bathroom along I-5.
    So we dug in and tore out my fuel tank to replace the chincy pc of metal and plastic.After just filling (and regrettebly adding some STP injector cleaner which loosened up crud or just plain screwed it up) we had to siphon almost 20 gallons of fuel.
    While doing this ,a helicoptor buzzed by so close ,it swirled the trees around us and made it a little scary since it was directly next to the High Power Electrical lines overhead.Guess they were inspecting or scaring birds....and humans.
    Got it running good ,proceeded over two summits ,only to have the service light come back on as we limped into the one exit with anything for 80 miles.Even had microbrew on tap....but no starbucks.
    We got a ride to town from a good guy who ran the Klub Klondike at Lakehead Lodge and we set ourselves up with a U-haul ,needed parts and headed back to the rig.
    After a quick waterpump job,we headed out and made it home with no more troubles.
    Felt like David vs Goliath towing the sweet boat home.
    Ironically,my wife and her family broke down not 5 miles from the same spot,twenty years ago during the Goodwill Games(100` at UW stadium,115` in the shade at Redding) ,right before Dunsmuir Ca.
    Really pretty rivers ,resevoirs and bodies of water down there.
    Hopefully we`ll make it down there to meet some of the Golden State group as they really have some special places to boat.
    The boat we brought back had some features we could use on our cabin hulls,namely the table for the cabin which slip up /down a stainless roof support off to one side slightly.When not in use ,it slid up and flush to the ceiling making a nice pc of wood visible from below.
    The rear cabin sleeps two with areas that extend under the side benches in the cockpit.The inboard Diesil puts out 30 hp and sips .5-.6 gallons per hour ,at 7.5 knots.

Marty would appreciate the boats name, "Skol" which is Cheers in Norwegian.

The funny part was ,my buddie`s wife asked him "if it had a place for him to sleep?" when he told her we were to go get it.Little did we know how soon we`d get the chance.
    The things we get talked into........Skol.
    Tim M
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Old Albin Cruisers

Tim -

I've always loved those old Albin motor cruisers...super economical and pretty comfy for their size.

So, who's the lucky buyer of the boat?

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

The Little Enabler

Marty,
      My buddy Corey Breuer who works on Lake Union as a Woodright found this thru a C-list ad.He`s seen and worked on the bigger ones and a few of these small ones caught his eye.
      He also is known as "TheToolTrader" from his fromer Ballard Tool shop as well as my friend who brought the Cavalery when I swamped ,then sunk the Seafair back in Jan.Trailer shown is from the Shamrock that raised my hull from the bottom.
      He just got his Capt license and has been doing deliveries as far as Costa Rica with larger Yachts and sailboats brought to Seattle for repairs ,selling or whatnot.
      Going to the San Juans for a couple $20 bills seems like a cheap way to entertain a pair of couples.....basically the Albin has two Cabins.
      We found only two tiny areas of small hairline cracks from the boom landing hard once,but so minor it almost doesn`t count.
      A similar Albin in Anacortes has been listed of late on Seattle`s C-list.....he`s a little embarrassed about how cheap he got this one.....
      From the inside ,it is a completely different look,every inch is useable,functional and so forth.
      Needs a good bath and one crazed window replaced.Has a Rectangular ,softop cut-out on the bridge that may get a hard top for the NW weather.
      I felt like "The Little Enabler" on the way home ,right up until my truck gave up.
      TM
      ps Forgot how Blu our skies are up here! Didn`t see a trace of it until we hit Olympia.
      Attached Files
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X