First Baby of the New Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Baby of the New Year

Newspapers make a big deal of the first babies of the new year. Why not NWCBC? So I am putting in a claim for the first baby - I am sure there is a big prize from West Marine or Burgerville or maybe a CBC coffee mug.

I happened to do my daily CL finger exercises on Jan 1 and put in a search for some of my favorites that never seem to pop up. Low and behold a treasure was posted at 4:09 pm and it was now 5:15. One hurried phone call and no one had grabbed it yet. Got some information and then called my local expert, Bob B. who in his usual calm "I will support any known boat addiction" style simply said if I didn't buy it he would. This type of comment clearly enables all sorts of foolishness but makes a great comment to get spouse support. I figured I was over limit on boats in the barn so I better get my wife's permission since she was not going out of town for two days and I couldn't wait that long. Got permission to buy it in exchange I believe for a long to do list in the future.

Called the guy and said I would buy it if it was as good as he said. He had previously alerted me that he got in a promised trade of his corvette for the original owner's boat. He would now finalize the boat-car trade on Sunday but he couldn't accept any money until he had the boat in his possession. So I got to wait out a verbal contract.

I updated Bob B. by phone and he suggested that I offer the guy $100 bucks to pull the CL ad so no one else would try to sneak in with a higher than asking price offer. This was a risk since it was being offered at less than half what one had sold for the prior year. So I called the seller back and made the offer and he said it was not needed since he had already pulled the ad. (Alas, pulling a cl ad only helps a little bit since it stays on Jaxed listings for days as well as google links - the world is a bit too connected to let you fineese other potential buyers.)

He called me back on Sunday noon that the boat was now at his house. Of course it was Sunday and no banks will let me pull enough money out of the ATM given their daily limits.

So Monday I am at the bank when it opens. Grab the cash. Let him know I will be there in 30 minutes. (There were no pictures in the ad so I figured I had to be ready to walk away). Get there and the boat is every bit as nice as advertised.

I did get lucky that the seller had principles. He did get a higher than asking offer on the phone on Sunday but told the person it was sold.

So it is now in my boat barn. I will post pictures later. So for your quiz to win the West Marine prize that I will sign over to you once I get the first baby prize (but I get to keep a coffee mug)- If it is a late 1950s boat, 17' long, built in the Puget Sound area but south of Bell Boy and Skagit land, what might the new baby be?

I will give one clue - it was featured in a Rudder magazine article - but that clue gives Marty an unfair advantage.
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

How great. I gather he described it accurately and you are more than over joyed with it. Never knew they built good boats south of Bell Boy and Skagit land. Looking forward to seeing pics.
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Bruce, is it a Reinell?

If not, another hint please. Is it wood or glass.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Norseman?
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

clueless

Not Norseman or Reinell.
          Not suited for long shaft motors.
          Not made in Olympia or further south.
          Bruce H. Drake
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

clue

photo clue
            Attached Files
            Bruce H. Drake
            1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

hints

Two brother company 1904-1960 in candy company town
              shallow drafting
              Collected by Dale Chihuly but fiber not glass
              Bruce H. Drake
              1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Sigler brothers from Tacoma? Lady Clipper or Mansfield? I have boat ADHD as I start looking for refernce pictures and find myself on CL for half an hour looking at other treasures!!
                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

getting closer

Right town but wrong brothers.
                  They built the same style of boat for almost all of their years.
                  Can you picture a lady clipper in 1904? oops it was 1908.

another clue for Husky alums: you could rent them at the UW boat shop
                  Bruce H. Drake
                  1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

getting closer

maybe another picture would help
                    major photo clue - the item at the top sat in a canvas storage bag since 1958 and was never used. Museum quality if you know what it is.
                    Attached Files
                    Bruce H. Drake
                    1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Final photo clue

Here is it is folks. With a motor mount it is technically a power boat. If I had the sail or rowing accessories I could probably be in nearly every classic club in the NW. One club with fuzzy boundaries seems just right.
                      Attached Files
                      Bruce H. Drake
                      1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

I had a little cabin cruiser pictured in my head the whole time! Willits Bros!! What year is it?
                        BRIAN FRANCHINI
                        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

1958 Willits

1958 Willits. #902. 17' x 34"
                          Motor mount never used. The larger picture with the canoe paddles would have given it away. Gunnel pads for car top transportation in the days before roof racks.

Came with signed letter to owner from Earl Willits from April 1958 and original price list for options. $250 new according to January price list.
                          Attached Files
                          Bruce H. Drake
                          1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Willits Canoe

Bruce -

Sorry I missed out on the guessing game--my internet connection was down as you were dispensing clues, but I was ready to proclaim "Willits" when you posted the first photo.

Nice find, Bruce!

- Marty
                            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                            X