New Classic-Boat Designs....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Classic-Boat Designs....

I'd love to hear any comments that NWCBC members might have regarding three new, vintage-style boat designs we're offering to build for customers. (I'm really not trying to advertise or promote the designs here--just seeking input as we refine the designs and move forward.)

One of the three is an 18-foot motorsailer designed early this year by my friend Sam Devlin. I designed the two powerboats, and I'm especially interested to hear what members might like to see tweaked in the Mystery Bay 21 cruiser design. (For instance, would you like to see a slightly larger version of the boat?) Right now, it has an enclosed wheelhouse with hardtop that basically just has seating for two, with typical V-berth under the forward raised deck, room for a porta-potty and small galley. In other words, just about the same accommodations many of us are used to in our vintage 20- or 21-foot glassic cruisers. The idea was to come up with a 1920s-style raised-deck cruiser that would be easy to trailer, launch and retrieve, and store in a garage or under a portable shelter...powered by a fuel-efficient and quiet four-stroke outboard. Speeds could be anywhere from displacement-hull speeds to full-blown planing performance, depending on outboard selection.)

Take a look at the home page, but be sure to click on the "New Construction" heading for details.

http://www.islandboatshop.com/Island_Boatshop/Home.html

Thanks, in advance, for your input....

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Nice!!!

I like the launch, very sexy....
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I like all three,

but the Mystery Bay 21 is my favorite! Just gorgeous!

Comment

Awsome

Marty I LOVE the Mystry Bay 21'. It looks to be perfect for our NW waters. Will it have space for a "Porta-Poty" ? I know with out a head it would be a deal breaker with the Admiral. IF you had to streach it a foot or two that would be OK.
        Have you got any more detailed drawings ? ?
        Keep us advised on any developments !

I better go take a cold shower now.

Dave C

After my cold shower I re-read the original post and see it does have room for a Poty and Galley. PERFECT.

Comment

Marty, I would say the Mystery Bay 21 the way it is with a 4 stroke. Very nice ! Best,Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Echo
            I heard Sheila in the background saying "No More Boats!"
            Marty, the 21 is cool, are you doing all the construction, selling plans???
            ChuckB
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Answers....

Dave -

Yes, there will definitely be a nice porta-potty for the Admiral, as well as the Admiralette. (And I'll publish additional drawings of the Mystery Bay 21 as they're developed.)

Chuck B. -

We'll do all construction on any one of the boats....if we can find a customer for them. Plans for the motorsailer are available right now from Sam Devlin; I'll have plans available for the launch and Mystery Bay 21, but it'll be a few months before plans are developed enough to sell.

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

- Marty
              Attached Files
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty,

Looking at those designs, reminds me of why I love boats! Fantastic! I'm turning off my computer and going out to buy a lotto ticket. I will call you after I win!

Karl
                17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                14' Stilleto

Comment

Marty, my first reaction was one of each. Then I thought about cost and dropped the Lake Union Launch. Then I thought about cost some more and dropped the Mystery Bay 21. Now I think about costs and guess I will have to stay with my Skagit. Why, oh why, do you have to tempt an old man who really can't bring himself to leave a penniless wife. Come to think of it, Becky could probably grab a wealthy young stud when he saw her fleet of boats. Thinking further, could she bring herself to hire a hit man to get the young stud sooner? Guess I'd better take her name off the checking account. After all, sometimes I have as much as $5,000 right after the SS check arrives!
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

On second thot

Just reread my post and figure Becky might hear that I suggested a stud would marry her for her boats. Oops. I meant for her loving, beautiful self!

Comment

Jerry, What are you growing on that island. Huh ??
                      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Chuck, how about "oats, peas, beans"?

Comment

"Just reread my post and figure Becky might hear that I suggested a stud would marry her for her boats. Oops. I meant for her loving, beautiful self!"

Instead of a young stud it would probably be some crusty old sailor like yourself. VeryBigSmile
                          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Oh, she's too smart to make that mistake again!

Comment

Working...
                            X