No announcement yet.

New Vessel Registration Certificate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Monoxide is nothing to laugh about. As someone who has had CO poisoning, I can tell you that it is very very scary; and it takes a long time to fully recover. A sticker is a small price to pay. And for those of us who have to idle from the Ballard Locks out to Lake Washington, I bet you are sucking in CO. I'm actually going to install a CO detector. But for those of you who hate the sticker, I think that you have to have a sticker or plaque. Seattle Engraving could make you a CO plaque in brass if you wanted, you could even get him to copy the state sticker exactly. I'll probably look into that, just because it would be cool...

Does anybody know where I can get a USCG courtesy inspection in Seattle? -I want to far exceed the requirements for Solstice my 18' Glasspar Seafair Sedan.

Does the USCG Auxilery offer that?

Thanks, Sean.
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Yes they do

Just contact the Coast Guard Aux. and they will come out and inspect your vessel for free . :Skipper1:
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

USCGA Jim Mattox in Flotilla 12 (Edmonds) is a very nice guy who enjoys coming to your boat and giving the sticker. He talked me into strapping down my plastic tanks too. Call (206) 979-1919.

Comment

The CO Sticker

So I just checked the law about the CO Sticker. RCW 88.02.250 requires the display of the state approved sticker on the "the interior of the vessel". WAC 308-93-146, requires that the sticker be: "You must attach it on the interior of the vessel so it is clearly visible to a person and where they may be exposed to carbon monoxide.". And it requires that it be replaced when it is faded. RCW 88.02.390 states that the department is required to approve a sticker that has been approved by the USCG for use in other states. It it discretionary for the department to aprove a sticker by a boat manufacturer, unless that sticker was approved by the USCG for use in another state, then the department would be required to aprove the sticker. There is no provision for the use of a plaque instead of the sticker, unless of course it were a manufacturer plaque, which for most of us, except maybe the Glastron people, is impossible. But WAC 308-93-146 states: (7) Will a carbon monoxide warning sticker installed by the manufacturer or issued by another state meet the requirements of this rule? Yes, the department will accept any warning sticker that warns of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, provided the warning sticker is attached on the interior of the vessel.

So if the sticker is in the interior of the boat, where someone who would be exposed to CO can see it, then it complies with the rules. If some pencil-headed lawyer like me wanted to get a plaque made out of brass at Seattle Engraving, to prominantly display (and start conversations with), then if I have one of the state stickers somewhere visible in the interior, I'm good to go...

Okay back to pencil-headed lawyering...
          :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
          (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
          1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Working...
          X