No announcement yet.

Bad day on black rock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got that. When there is gas to the motor, it runs.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Yep, gas to the motor is key. Actualy gas and air.
      Greg James

Comment

Greg ,
        I`ve had to put my hand over intakes of Carbs on VRO (and even new 4 strokes,no baffle choke,just the fuel "enrichener")engines with blockages that wouldn`t allow priming at start-up.
        The Vro doesn`t have the baffle effect so if air is leaking anywhwere,it will suck that before drawing fuel.......especially from 8` or more away.
        I have mounted these same chokes on Houseboats using older remote Electric started OMCs tucked where you can`t even see them ,let alone use the mech chokes......so I run one wire and place a small barb inlet into the carb housing and you have a primer system that works from 50`.Just can`t mt the tank that far away was what I learned before.....
        Jerry,
        You should have check valves on the fuel feeder at the tanks too,not just angled barbs you can blow back into the tank from downstream.
        You want the Hose`s Date of Manfacturor to be in the same decade.....~1999 or older should be swapped if you can afford it.Read the hose and you`ll see it on there.Today`s gas blend didn`t exist when the hose was probably made.....scary.
        Type B ,double walled fuel hose ,should be used under gunnels and in the hull too.
        Hope your done.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, I'm not finding a date on the fuel lines. They are nice heavy and shiny black. I imagine Chuck C. put them on. He kept Rosario under shelter and I always covered it so I suppose the hoses could be older than they look. What is printed on the hose, in its entirity is: Shields Fire-Acol USCG Type A1 SAE J1527/ISO 7840 CE 3/8"
          Also I've no understanding of what we are talking about when you say "check valves on the fuel feeder at the tanks"? I have only the snap on hose ends that attach to the 90 degree piece that brings the fuel from the tanks. When I blow on the hose to the tank, air blows into the fuel.
          Maybe I'm just getting weaker but the transom does seem to flex hardly at all when I try to lift the motor at the skeg.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 18427
            Glad you have it running.
            Jerry, glad you got it figured out.
            Pretty much a maintenance issue it seems like. I replace fuel lines and bulbs every two years, or when stuff starts getting stiffer than it was when new.

And Chuck, no more 17 Skagit hidden in the back of the tent ????
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Jerry ,
              It may be easier for the motor to pull thru 5/16`` lines ,of which I`d use the B2 as it is what inboards use,and what I was led to believe should be used whenever hoses are concealed below decks.along gunnels may be a grey area....
              I guess you have portable tanks being used like permanent ones so the check valves have never been used.
              Edit: Check valves only needed with permanent tanks or "if lines go below Full Fuel level."

I`d use the Fem/Male round fittings different brands of outboards use as the open pin you have on an OMC style will squirt you pretty good on occasion whereas the round one will conceal the connection and provide a better fit.
              Fuel supply lines should now have Alc/Benzene-safe or something like that as the gas is now laced with more than just Alcohol.
              My plastic tanks always seem to leak when full and babysitting them in our Hot/Cold weather gets old........I hate them......but can`t afford the vented Alum option that runs $200 plus......but never leaks and has baffles so gas doesn`t slosh like the hollow portables ones.These do need the anti-siphon valve I thought you had......and fills.
              The factory Rigger I just spoke to said Mercury asked them to use a new kind of hose on the Sportjets...except nobody knows where to find it without a Merc sticker and price on it.
              Stay tuned......this horse is still twitching.
              Tim M
              ps check the motor shocks for slop ,beaching does nasty things to those.Just wiggle when locked down and watch the pivot area and at lower unit shock cover.Not much to do, if so,but you`d know where the flexing was from......You may have just been moving the motor on the shocks!
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 18436
                Maybe I'm just getting weaker but the transom does seem to flex hardly at all when I try to lift the motor at the skeg.
                Jerry,

In my experience (I have a lot in the matter of transoms flexing while bouncing on rocks from decades of slough runs) a perfectly healthy transom will flex more than anyone likes when the entire weight of the boat is slamming the outboard down on the sea floor. What you need to look for are soft spots, or areas where knocking on it produces a "thud" instead of "thwack" sound, and especially cracks at the splashwell corners and base of the transom. If there are any visible cracks then you need to have it further inspected to make sure you haven't severed the transom in such a way that it might fall off.

Seeing that Chuck felt the transom was strong enough to run, and he kept under cover (dry) and you now keep it under cover (dry) it would be really hard to believe the transom has gone soft now.
                Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Thanks. You've given me some hope. I'll go out and bang on the transom a bit and hope my fist doesn't go through it.

Comment

Joe, "O" yea ! I don't want to disappoint you, but i still do have " itchy" 17' Skagit sitting behind Bainbridge. Maybe i will sale it or i just might store it for a year or so as i still have some odds & ends i want to do with Bainbridge. Bainbridge sure ran nice on that smooth water this last weekend. We went just over 100nm. I dug out all of my old boat stuff from my Bayliner days like the dishes,hair dryer,vac, BBQ equipment etc. I have my old socks storage bags from other boats to snap to the walls inside the cabin to store items. The BBQ equipment made it nice to cook Dan and my burgers Sat night and the coffee ( I rough it with instant coffee ) on Sunday early am. I have not used the BBQ since about 1998. I even used my plug in hair dryer after that hot park shower. WoW ! what a weekend ! Before putting her away, i gave her a bubble bath and wipe down as she always like's that.....i think. Chuck
                    Attached Files
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 18450
                      Joe, "O" yea ! I don't want to disappoint you, but i still do have " itchy" 17' Skagit sitting behind Bainbridge. Maybe i will sale it or i just might store it for a year or so as i still have some odds & ends i want to do with Bainbridge. Bainbridge sure ran nice on that smooth water this last weekend. We went just over 100nm. I dug out all of my old boat stuff from my Bayliner days like the dishes,hair dryer,vac, BBQ equipment etc. I have my old socks storage bags from other boats to snap to the walls inside the cabin to store items. The BBQ equipment made it nice to cook Dan and my burgers Sat night and the coffee ( I rough it with instant coffee ) on Sunday early am. I have not used the BBQ since about 1998. I even used my plug in hair dryer after that hot park shower. WoW ! what a weekend ! Before putting her away, i even gave her a bubble bath and wipe down as she always like's that.....i think. Chuck
                      Thats great Chuck.
                      Its good therapy to know you have a handle on so called, Projects.
                      Good thing, its not costing anything setting in there and it only becomes more and more valuable as time goes on.
                      Good thinking Chuck VeryBigSmile

Pretty cool on the BBQ rig too. Always wanted one of them but never stepped up to the plate and got one.

I really didn't mean to miss this event, but my Son in law and daughter came up from Texas for a visit.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, Few more pictures from Sat taken by Bruce Bidwell and some pictures of his boat. Chuck
                        Attached Files
                        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                        X