Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Girl II ? ?

California Girl IV ? ?

OMG, i'am so sick ! ! ! I picked up this cool 1961 Dorsett Catalina 17' from Gemmel Coloma of Sacramento that is a member of the Golden Classic Club. Gemmel and his wife purchased Marty's BB16 about a month ago, so what goes South can come North as well.This is the forth California boat i have had so that's why i think i will call it "California Girl IV ".This will be a project down the road in a couple of years after the Dorsett Saratoga is finished, IF i'am still doing this stuff. I have a friend that will be towing it up from Sacramento around the end of this month ! Now to go tell Sheila the wonderful news that we are again the proud owners of another Dorsett that was Free ! She will be so happy i can't wait to see the smile on her face. Boy am i lucky guy! Oh btw no motor or hardtop. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Sick, Sick, Sick!

Chuck -

I'm delighted to see that your periodic flirtations with sanity have failed--again--and that you've succumbed to temptation.

(It feels good, since I've slipped again recently and find myself "reloading" after trying for awhile to reduce the fleet. I actually pared things down quite a bit, but have recently adopted several new projects...with more on the way.)

I guess the good news is that it keeps us old geezers energized...dreaming about the next project, trying to figure out how we're going to afford yet another restoration, and then actually tackling the job(s).

Good for you, Chuck!

- Fellow Glassaholic Geezer
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

What great mentors we have. Chuck, quit fighting it, just go with the flow. Your going to need a new park and hide now.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Marty, This sickness goes all of way back to 1998 when i first saw a ad in a boating magazine advertising a Davis Craft skiff that i had been looking on and off for about 35 years. That's when i met you. Who would have ever thought it would have gone this far. Since then i have had about 9 boats ( Farallon,Skagit Coho,Grandy,Skagit SkiMaster,etc from you thru the years. We even sold a few back to each other over time. There was one i never got out of your driveway ( it was there for a month after i bought it ) before i picked it up we did a little swapping that you end up owning again. That was the Lady Clipper. The rest is history. Best,Chuck

See the picture , This is how bad it can get when you are running side by side with your former boat GregJ Skagit ( That was my first Skagit of 7 ) on the left that i own in 1996 and at that time in 2010 i was in boat #18 ( Farallon ) or whatever back then. Sick, Sick
        Attached Files

Comment

Steve, Speaking of the "Park & Hide" lot behind my fence on the road, Sheila told me today that since i picked up another boat ,we should get a gift card for our wonderful neighbor ( she the one with 2 1/2 acres ) Mary ( She 80 years old and i sure hope she stays there for about another 10 years ) that let's me park "things" ( right ChuckB ? ) behind the fence on her side. Chuck
          Attached Files

Comment

get busy living...

Right on Chuck, another reason to roll out of bed in the A.M. - SWEET!

We need the geezers (to quote Mr. Loken) to show how it should be done.

...g

Comment

Hey, you guys aren't geezers. Just vintage.
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 20431
                Hey, you guys aren't geezers. Just vintage.
                I've got socks older than you.

Comment

On Her Way !

This 1961 Dorsett Catalina that i pick up around the first of last month ,is on her way from Sacramento California as of this afternoon. Ingvar Carlson is towing her up after enjoying the holidays in the Los Angeles area. As i said earlier,this will be a project down the road after the Dorsett Saratoga is finished. Does not have hardtop or motor. Going to meet him in Seattle this Sat @ noon. My LOW numbered inventory is now @ 2 Dorsett and 1 Skagit. That's not bad for me as that is close to a all time low. however it might grow by one more sometime soon. Chuck
                  Attached Files

Comment

Forget the Resolution!

Chuck -

When you say your fleet "might grow by one sometime soon," I assume you're being GIVEN another boat, since we're only six days into the New Year and your foolish resolution not to buy a single additional boat in 2012 (!) :Good one:

Everyone reading this knows your resolution is either a joke or delusional--or maybe both--since addicts like us are incapable of keeping any such promises.

Seriously, or at least shifting the subject, as Rick said recently it's amazing how many Dorsetts have been popping up lately within the club. You've now got two of them, I dragged home the Dorsett Belmont and recently did a swap with Bruce for the old red-and-white Endura Craft (early Dorsett)...and there have been a bunch of others mentioned on the forum. Old boat brands seem to come in waves--sometimes a rash of Bell Boys or Skagits, then Glasspars, and now Dorsetts (again).

- Marty
                    Attached Files
                    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, That Dorsett Belmont and red/white Endura Craft sure looks very nice ! Ingvar is just about up to Tacoma from Sacramento at 10:30 this Friday morning. He left Sacramento around 3pm yesterday. Not bad traveling time. I will be seeing him at 11am ( pictures at 11 ) at the house Sat. Being the 40' shelter is full at this time ,if you know what i mean, i will put a boat cover on the Dorsett and park it across the road behind the park & hide fence till i have room behind the Skagit 20 and that where i will store it until i'am ready to work on it after the Saratoga. Yea, there might be another boat down the road. I said that just to keep my options open as i don't want anyone to think i'am delusional. Right ? Best,Chuck

Comment

In 1997 I was coming close to buying a new Arima until I met Chuck C. at the neighborhood mail box in front of my house. Chuck mentioned to me that he was close to finishing restoring a 1957 Skagit. I asked if I could see it and as soon as I did I asked him if he would sell it. His asking price was a whole lot less than a new Arima so I agreed to his asking price. I was instantly addicted. Having Chuck as a neighbor has not made it easy to keeping from feeding my addiction so I did buy one other boat (Stiledo) which I owned briefly. One day I almost blew that boat over so I decided maybe I should just stick to my Skagit. Other then that small relaps I have been able to ward off many urges to buy and restore. Being addicted to this hobby for the last 15 years has been a great ride and I feel privelaged to knowing the friends I have made. Thanks guys.
                        Greg James

Comment

Greg, That Stiletto sure made the rounds in our Neighborhood. From me to Greg Silcox,to you and then back to me again and then on to Melanie & Mary up in Bellingham. I think they still have it. Chuck

Comment

Somebody called that boat the club slut because she got around so much.
                            Greg James

Comment

Working...
                            X