Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serial Boat Collecting

Tim -

The pathetic thing is that I posted only a fraction of the boats I've acquired, worked on, used and then sent down the road--or down the bay, in the case of larger ones. I'm always thinking I need a boat for every imaginable purpose, but the end result is that you spend way too much time working on them, thinking about them, buying and selling them...and never enough hours actually enjoying them.

The only saving grace in all of this is that I've gradually weaned the total number of boats down sharply, and I've also stopped going after the physically larger projects. The boats I'm focusing on now are noticeably smaller, maybe even achievable as projects. (They have to be--I can't afford the big boys anymore!)

Also, the older I get, the more I'm naturally drawn to smaller craft that are simpler to maintain and actually use. I've always loved traditional small craft, and kept a few particular ones for decades--knowing I'll have them until the end--but lately I've started viewing them as my "main" boats...not just little accessories. (One is Black Boat, a 1925 cedar skiff that I've had longer than any other; another is an 1870-design 14-foot Seaford Skiff, a rowing-sailing duckboat built for the Great South Bay of Long Island.) Photos below...

There are others that I love and hope to hold onto longer-term, but these two boats are the "forever keepers," no matter what.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

What have you learned about boat design?

Marty,
      I've heard it said that every boat is a design compromise. What have you learned about boat designs and the people that design and build them (owning so many of different styles, types, materials and construction techniques) ?

When I look at the Main lobster boat for example, the beautiful and functional design evolved over many years of trial and error by many builders in need of a working craft. No computers were used and many were built by eye or from small half models.

Every time I take the Saratogan away from the dock, I marvel at it's design, its handling and overall robustness. It's a very sophisticated design, especially for being 50+ years old.

I'm wanting to do a side-by-side sea trial comparison; Saratogan vs 31 Bertram. The Bertram sold over 1200 copies. The Saratogan three. Yet the Saratogan may actually be a better boat. Winning races, niche markets, marketing strategy and luck all play a part in the success of boat builders and designers.

Spending so much time on one boat, I'm acutely aware of how much talent goes into boat design and building. I've said it before and I'll say it again....I like to take credit for the Skagit Saratogan...(the compliments are never ending).....but the real credit goes to the late Howard Roberts.
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Marty, Here's a small sampling of a few more of your many many boats. Best,Chuck
        Attached Files
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Here is the 1960 Bellboy 404 Express freshly painted with Interlux Perfection Oyster White paint...
          Attached Files

Comment

This post makes me miss the boats that "got away". I have only had my own boat since 2004 and am already on number three!!!

Here a few shots of my boats, past and present:

1966 PowerCat 15t
            1965 Peformer Havoc
            1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17

Hope everyone is enjoying this loving weather we are having this week!!!Screwy1:Cold1:
            Attached Files
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

some CA boats

My 1959 Dorsett and 1976 Glastron
              Attached Files
              Joel and Judy, Clovis CA

1960 Wizard Baronet/ 75HP Mercury 4 stroke

1980 Glastron Carlson Scimitar

Comment

Melanie's Boat

Original owners with FISH!