Retiring - YIPPEE (!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring - YIPPEE (!)

Every morning when I shuffle out into the kitchen, I see a fading birthday card on the fridge door, with a dreamy marine scene and the following quotation from some long-dead writer:

"There are two things to aim at in life: First, to get what you want, and after that, to enjoy it."

The meaning has sunk in lately, since I can say that I've gotten exactly what I want in life--a great, loving and supportive partner, a home (finally) with no mortgage, a shop just across the driveway, and a bunch of old boats. But I've been working just hard enough that I never seem to have enough time to fully enjoy what I've gotten in life.

So, with that in mind, and having turned 70 in recent weeks, I'm planning to retire before the end of this year...closing down Island Boatshop over a period of months. (It'll be quite a process, first completing the existing customer boat restorations, then steadily getting rid of tons of "keen junk" I've been lugging around for decades, and finally having a blowout Boatshop Closing Party & Sale sometime later this year...to offer up whatever hardware, vintage engines, boat projects or other goodies are left at that point.

In retirement, I'll continue working on old boats, but they'll strictly be personal projects. We'll have more time for actual boating ourselves, not to mention walking, gardening, attending to all of the home-maintenance items I've been ignoring, and generally spending more time enjoying what we have and "living" a bit more, while we still can.

So, I'll hope to see all of you on the water. If we haven't met before, I'll be the old Norwegian with the ridiculous smile on his face.

Best to all,

- Marty (and Marjiann, aka Mo)
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Good for you !

Thats great Marty - I'm jealous, but I'm 10 years behind you ! With the way things are going I'll probably end up being the greeter at Wal Mart or a Bartender at the local Moose Lodge ( Not that there's anything wrong with either of those ) That is great that you have built yourself the perfect retirement scenario, you have your partner , shop, and house right on the water with a couple boats and a project or two to keep your mind right. - It took lot's of hard work and you did it !! :GoTeam1::HandHorn1: Hope you stay in touch and look forward to seeing you on the water :fishing:
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Marty, Wishing you and Mo the very best in your new chapter in your life ! See you out on the high Sea's. Chuck & Sheila

P.S. That picture of you and the boat is another one i got from you a few years back.
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Way to go Ole :cool1:
        I know I am five years younger than you are but I had to retire. I just couldn't keep up with you..
        Do you think you can bring your self down to only One project at a time

Man, just thinking about what I knew you had been into, wow, what a run Boss, you really do deserve to retire and enjoy..
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Marty & Mo

Big "RIGHT ON" from Pat and Charlie!

Were down in Mountain Home, Arkansas right now...looking at moving back here, but the process will take some time; so we might make the party.

Very happy for you...as you know I''m a firm supporter of retirement and doing the things that "float your boat."

C/P

Comment

Congratulations Marty. I'm sure retirement will suit you just fine. Watch out for that home maintenance item though. I'm in the process of trying to get that all done before the good weather gets here. Seems the more I do, the longer the list gets.'

Have a good one.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Congratulations Marty, hope to see your smiling face out on the water in one of your personal project boats! Lots of crab and fish to be caught! It's a great life and you sure deserve it!
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Congratulations Marty, and Mo. Sue and I are very happy for you. It makes having our "Island Boatshop" restored Farallon that much more special. A classic boat restored by a classic boatyard. Best to you in the years ahead!
                1958 Dorsett Farallon
                1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Fantastic!

In a selfish way, I happy that you may have more time to post your always interesting and informative stories on the forum.

Thanks for all of your help over the years and Congratulations

Karl
                  17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                  18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                  19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                  25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                  14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                  14' Stilleto

Comment

Marty;

You know my opinion on retirement. I'm right behind you buddy.

VeryBigSmile :catchfish1: :boater1: :fishing: :catchfish1: :fishing:
                    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Thanks, Folks...

Many thanks to everyone for the generous thoughts...

We can't wait to get started on the next chapter!

Best,

Marty and Marjiann (Mo)
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Congratulations, Marty!!

I think it is wonderful that the time is right and you've connected the dots to make this "promotion" fall into place. Celeste and I are about 10 years behind you...and are counting that Mo and you will be a fine model for us! I'm thrilled about this for you...and a bit envious. My/our best wishes to you!!
                        Ken and Celeste

Comment

Congrats on your plan, Marty!

In all honesty I had no idea that you were approaching 70 when we met. I ahd you pegged for much younger. Keep working for fun and stay young.
                          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                          Past Affairs:
                          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Good for you

Hey Marty, you are going to enjoy it. As you know, I am a few years ahead of you. So far, I have never been bored nor have I ever been able to catch up on all that I want to do. Honestly, I don't know how I ever had time to go to work. I wish the very best for you and your helpmate.

Comment

Congratulations Marty, Like Bill I am busier these days than I was when I was working. The difference is that I do things when and how I want. No presure. The important thing is to keep mentally and physicly active. If you don't use it you will loose it. I don't have to worry about that, I lost it years ago.
                              Greg
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X