Work Shops.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Shops.

Some of you folks that have been with the club forever it seems, we used to do Work shops at Marty Island Boat Club.

When Tim McCrain was involved, we started on a Wiring Work Shop but never was able to make that happen.

Right now we are not a Non Profit so its hard to get public meeting places as were we have enough parking and can do this.
    This will take a President, secretary at least. The Work shops and Safety Training would be all we need.

We have people like Tim Mattson, Marty Loken, Tim Jones that can lend a hand in work shops.

You have wooden boat schools but no one has anything about how to restore the old 50's and 60's Glass boats.
    Allot of this will roll over into the wood boats, like the wiring. Wiring is wiring and its not hard once you know how.

I had been talking about trying to get a shop open again but at this point, its not looking good on my part.
    I think we need to come up with some way to maybe teach these skills.

On the Work Shops, we would draw people from Long distances.
    So, we would need some place maybe in the around Olympia so the folks from the North and South (Oregon folks) can all make it possible.

When the economy went into the toilet, most of us had shut down our operations due to that or age and health.

I don't want to take knowledge with me guys.

I think its going to be up to you newer, younger members to help promote some of these work shops.
    Right up front, I would have to have some fuel help to able to attend and maybe put on some on the wiring Work shops but I am more than willing.

Can anyone help with this please?

I am More than open for ideas.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

I can certainly host an event and willing to entertain this...even offer up my boat for some glass work
    On the plus side, we have a dock that can hold around 4 boats + a medium size parking area. I'd be willing to look at other areas around Olympia too.

Comment

I would enjoy some workshops, especially a Bearcat rebuild one at my house.

Comment

This is sure something we can discuss at our November meeting.
        I was thinking more on wiring but hey, its open for discussion
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I would love to attend a workshop on wiring
          17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
          18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
          19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
          25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
          14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
          14' Stilleto

Comment

I could either put on a workshop and wiring or assist in doing so. In engineering there are two phases to the knowledge of circuit design. The easy side which is DC (the one were dealing with) or AC circuit analysis which requires a knowledge of differential calculus (pretty easy if you have a basic knowledge of linear differential's or alternatively Laplace transforms.) Fortunately, everything having to do with boat wiring is 100% DC.

The issue with wiring boats correctly has to do with managing the terrific potential in 12 V batteries. This means the proper management of fusing and load distribution. Most people have never been exposed to even DC circuit analysis, but a little bit of that is useful in planning boat circuitry.

Given a blackboard and a place to park one of my boats (whenever I get one finished) would be all that was required other than a roof if it's raining. I would say one and a half to two hours would be enough including questions.

Issues at first blush are as follows:

1) wire sizing

2) load distribution

3) Main and subsystem switch and fusing

4) subsystem wiring and connection

5) use of crimp type connectors to improve wiring strength

6) wire distribution carriers, etc.

7) interconnection of marine devices to allow for interoperation if desired.
            Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Dave You always make me smile
              I have read what you have above and in all honesty, we might have One person in the group that this would not intimidate at least. (me). The others, I was thinking KISS mode

I did find a nice little book that I don't happen to have available at the moment that makes this pretty simple.

Here is my rule of thumb so to speak. Correct me please if I am wrong. ( I will fall back on Dennis Miller, This is my opinion and I could be wrong, or something close to that ;-)
              One fact for sure is I am More than positive that you know more about this than Any Coast Guard inspector !!!, Really, I do believe that.
              Any time I find anything that needs really taken apart and understood, that is were I lean on your expertise.

My rule of thumb is one can't get in too much trouble if everything is fused. (Smoke testing )
              Most boats that we get into are 20ft and less, not much issue using 16ga Marine wire and having voltage drop issues.
              Using 16 ga Marine wire and 10 ga to power the fuse box (also fused)

Drawing up the wiring diagrams is important and leaving plenty of room for adding on when needed.
              So, most of what we have is a few lights (5 amp fuse) and the help electronics, which most come fused or tell you what is recommended.
              See, Kiss mode

Some of the things I think is important to folks with our smaller boats is having two batteries, placement, main power switch, ease and type of switches to use. (most are rated at 25amps which we would never get close too using)

Inspection of wires, Marine wire, Copper going Green and needing replaced. I don't feel a need to explain much more that, if it goes Green, your loosing amperage that can pass though it.

One Most important thing is the Crimping of the connectors or Soldering of some of them.
              Hanging or Holding of those wires and protecting them as these barn door boats with motors on them ride Really hard and can shake the teeth out of some people.

Would I like you to assist me, YOU Bet !!!.
              Our main goal is to Keep it Simpler for folks as if not, they well (and I have seen their eyes glass over more than often) be intimidated and well, not do it.

Another thing is, the Outboard motors, (even Inboard and I/O) have there Own wiring.
              Put power to this one, Ground this other one and maybe this one is to go to a isolator for charging.
              They pretty much take care of there own.

I think this will be fun and in my teachings in the past, I have to make sure everyone understands the How and not so much in theory of operation. Some times people do not need to know why, just How
              If someone wants to get real technical about something, I hope to have you by my side

Some of the boats I did at Island Boat Shop, I made up the schematics for. Chuck's Farallon was one that I remember doing and I think he told me he showed it to the Coast Guard up at the LaConner show and they were asking, Why so much?
              Chucks was a little more involved as we did AC on his boat for shore power.

Once I get my hands on this book again, I will share it as it will go though the Basics as well as more technical aspects such as voltage drop and Color Coding of the wire.
              Me, I just tag the end of each wire. Buying rolls of different color Marine wire can some times be hard to find and of course, you end up with Way too much left over expensive wire.
              I tend to spend the least and gain the most.

So, what do you think?
              OH, and grounding of fuel tanks and why.

Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I also would enjoy a wiring workshop since I have a new boat and have not started any wiring as yet. I plan to keep my electrical to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 29526, member: 59
                  Dave You always make me smile
                  I have read what you have above and in all honesty, we might have One person in the group that this would not intimidate at least. (me). The others, I was thinking KISS mode

I did find a nice little book that I don't happen to have available at the moment that makes this pretty simple.

Here is my rule of thumb so to speak. Correct me please if I am wrong. ( I will fall back on Dennis Miller, This is my opinion and I could be wrong, or something close to that ;-)
                  One fact for sure is I am More than positive that you know more about this than Any Coast Guard inspector !!!, Really, I do believe that.
                  Any time I find anything that needs really taken apart and understood, that is were I lean on your expertise.

My rule of thumb is one can't get in too much trouble if everything is fused. (Smoke testing )
                  Most boats that we get into are 20ft and less, not much issue using 16ga Marine wire and having voltage drop issues.
                  Using 16 ga Marine wire and 10 ga to power the fuse box (also fused)

Drawing up the wiring diagrams is important and leaving plenty of room for adding on when needed.
                  So, most of what we have is a few lights (5 amp fuse) and the help electronics, which most come fused or tell you what is recommended.
                  See, Kiss mode

Some of the things I think is important to folks with our smaller boats is having two batteries, placement, main power switch, ease and type of switches to use. (most are rated at 25amps which we would never get close too using)

Inspection of wires, Marine wire, Copper going Green and needing replaced. I don't feel a need to explain much more that, if it goes Green, your loosing amperage that can pass though it.

One Most important thing is the Crimping of the connectors or Soldering of some of them.
                  Hanging or Holding of those wires and protecting them as these barn door boats with motors on them ride Really hard and can shake the teeth out of some people.

Would I like you to assist me, YOU Bet !!!.
                  Our main goal is to Keep it Simpler for folks as if not, they well (and I have seen their eyes glass over more than often) be intimidated and well, not do it.

Another thing is, the Outboard motors, (even Inboard and I/O) have there Own wiring.
                  Put power to this one, Ground this other one and maybe this one is to go to a isolator for charging.
                  They pretty much take care of there own.

I think this will be fun and in my teachings in the past, I have to make sure everyone understands the How and not so much in theory of operation. Some times people do not need to know why, just How
                  If someone wants to get real technical about something, I hope to have you by my side

Some of the boats I did at Island Boat Shop, I made up the schematics for. Chuck's Farallon was one that I remember doing and I think he told me he showed it to the Coast Guard up at the LaConner show and they were asking, Why so much?
                  Chucks was a little more involved as we did AC on his boat for shore power.

Once I get my hands on this book again, I will share it as it will go though the Basics as well as more technical aspects such as voltage drop and Color Coding of the wire.
                  Me, I just tag the end of each wire. Buying rolls of different color Marine wire can some times be hard to find and of course, you end up with Way too much left over expensive wire.
                  I tend to spend the least and gain the most.

So, what do you think?
                  OH, and grounding of fuel tanks and why.

Joe, I was stop by the Coast Guard three times in the time i had the Farallon i think they just wanted to look it over. I would just put all my book of the wiring pages and they would take one look and move on. The Skagit i have now had a complete rewire job back in 2004 along with the trailer ( $400.00 on that part. I was surprise that all of the lights on the trailer work that was until i saw the billing papers later) for a total of $2291.00 ! So that should be alright. They ( Dunato & Company just strip out all of the wires and started over.
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wiring workshop - wonderful! As a long voyage, Inside Passage pocket cruiser, we're not ruling out at this point, looking at complicating things immensely by putting a small Honda generator (insulated/force ventilated cabinet) in the corner of the newly regained transom well area (thank offshore motor bracket) routing exhaust/heat through the transom (mineral wool insulation) for charging batteries, cooking, heating water, and making coffee.

Aside from AC, keeping signal wiring seperate/perpendicular to supply wiring will be a challenge when installing a few navigational/safety gagets (Radar, AIS, GPS, Sonar) on such a small boat.

Comment

I can offer up my shop for the workshop. I am located at Lake Nahwatzel (about 15 min on the opposite side of Shelton as Mason Lake). Plenty of room to stay dry.
                      17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                      18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                      19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                      25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                      14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                      14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 29536, member: 54
                        I can offer up my shop for the workshop. I am located at Lake Nahwatzel (about 15 min on the opposite side of Shelton as Mason Lake). Plenty of room to stay dry.
                        I'm interested!
                        Ken

Comment

If its scheduled to something I could make, I would definitely be interested if you don't mind. I do live my life inverted.
                          Lyle
                          "Adrift in a sea of information looking for answers to bring me home"

The Build:
                          The Dorsett
                          Photos:
                          1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Originally posted by Karl, post: 29536, member: 54
                            Thanks Karl. I will keep that in mind too.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Great idea. Not just wiring though. There are lots of other items that could be covered as well.

Transom repair/rebuilding.
                              Deck filling/fairing.
                              Electronic installation.
                              Fiberglass work.
                              Others?
                              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                              Past Affairs:
                              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                              X