Isham boats portland oregon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isham boats portland oregon

I am restoring a 1959 Isham woodie. I have found virtually nothing about these boats but know they were built near Portland, Oregon. Mine is 16 ft, powered with a 1962 40hp erude. going to a Bearcat this coming summer and salmon season. Has a helm and passenger seat forward and a bench seat midships or so. dont know if the bench seat was added or the configuration of the forward seats. slight leak when launched (about a quart or two for four hours in the water). Any suggestions for sealing the keel? Sikaflex too extreme? Boat is trailered and seldom in water overnight. Thanks in advance for the help. Mike
    Attached Files

Hi Mike.

Not sure but I think I know someone to ask about them.
    Also I know we used more 3M 5200 than the Sikaflex for wood hulls.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Mike -

Nice boat!

I seem to recall there was a guy in Portland with an Isham inboard runabout, but I have no details. I think it was maybe about 18 feet in length, and had been repowered with a newer V8.

If you know where the leak is along the keel, just get everything dried out and apply a bead of 3M 5200. Sikaflex is okay, but 5200 will bond to anything and maybe give you a longer-lasting seal again leakage.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks Marty. 5200 it is!! Boat presently in dry storage and seams gunked out. Will get the 5200 and let it sit for a couple of weeks and repaint the keel and bottom. Boat is in excellent shape and I will repower with a Bearcat this summer. The 40 erude is not very fuel efficient and the boat is a working fishing and crabbing boat. Thanks again for the help. mike

Comment

5200 it is. interested in any info if you dig some up. beautiful and hardy working boat. sides are 3/8 ply and bottom 5/8. still solid throughout. thanks for the tip. mike

Comment

Originally posted by tyeechaser View Post
            5200 it is. interested in any info if you dig some up. beautiful and hardy working boat. sides are 3/8 ply and bottom 5/8. still solid throughout. thanks for the tip. mike
            The regular 3m 5200 is tried and true but I am not sure about the fast cure stuff.
            I know over a long term that the 5200 works for years but no data on the fast cure.
            That is what Island Boat Shop has used for Years.

Here is what West marine says about the two different products and the cure times.
            I remember the long cure times but was able to work around them.
            7 days on the 5200 and 48 hours on the fast cure but both tack up in 24 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqvApS3SoSQ
            (hope this works)

With me and new products, I am, well, really not sure. I read what they say but then again, no real data. Like the foam they were using back in the 70's, that stuff was supposed to be water proof. Now they are calling it Closed Cell Foam.
            For foaming, I only use the Fiberform foam. I have had a blow (when you drill your 2" holes for the foam to blow out once it has expanded and filled all the voids under the deck) that I cut off and has been floating in the rain barrel for 5 years, been frozen in the barrel, direct sun light, (Plus Miskito's hide under it and I would still go out and pick it out of the barrel and inspect it. Shows not holding any water.

So I guess what I am saying is if I put my name on it, its going to be something I know for sure will out last me and my kids.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I am restoring a 1959 Isham woodie. I have found virtually nothing about these boats but know they were built near Portland, Oregon. Mine is 16 ft, powered with a 1962 40hp erude. going to a Bearcat this coming summer and salmon season. Has a helm and passenger seat forward and a bench seat midships or so. dont know if the bench seat was added or the configuration of the forward seats. slight leak when launched (about a quart or two for four hours in the water). Any suggestions for sealing the keel? Sikaflex too extreme? Boat is trailered and seldom in water overnight. Thanks in advance for the help. Mike
              Well, I will be damned. I see your in Mapleton Oregon Mike. I am up in Veneta and working on opening up another boat shop.
              I have been digging up suppliers in Eugene and found a Lot of good hard woods at Cross Cut . I think they have at least 4 or 5 different marine plywoods plus Lots of Mahogany for me to play with.

I will have to come down and check out your project as I am only about 30 miles or so from you. What say you, up for a visit?
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Thanks Helmar. I have lots of time here on the Oregon Coast this winter so 5200 it is!! I have lots of time to make sure the gunk is out of the seam and everything cleaned up nicely. hard for a 75 yr old to crawl under the boat but worth the time and effort to do it right. She's such a pretty little thing she deserves to be treated with respect. Be terrific if my great grandson could inherit the boat in tip top shape. mike

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar View Post
                  The regular 3m 5200 is tried and true but I am not sure about the fast cure stuff.
                  I know over a long term that the 5200 works for years but no data on the fast cure.
                  That is what Island Boat Shop has used for Years.
                  Fast cure works great, been using it for years commercially in the shipyard sealing keel coolers on tugs, fishing boats and ships. Can't afford the slow cure setup time when they are on drydock. If you've ever had to remove it you'll know why they call it permanent!
                  Dick Johnson
                  1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                  '57 Evinrude 18hp
                  '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                  '72 Johnson 6hp
                  '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                  '65 Homelite 55
                  '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                  '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I used the fast cure 5200 to stick my rube rail on my Skagit 15yrs. ago. I am somewhat hard on my boat but I haven't had any problems with my rub rail coming off. I have also used it to seal around my windshield. It makes great gasket material.
                    Greg James

Comment

Based on my experience with resins, I would wager that the largest risk for fast cure vs slow cure is shrinking. With resins, if you kick it with a lot of MEKP, it will set up quickly, but you run the risk of shrinkage due to the accelerated process. Other than that, if they sell it, it probably works fairly well. This is 3M we are talking about.
                      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                      Past Affairs:
                      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

phone # 541-268-XXXX. email tyeetoo@yahoo.com. looking forward to visiting with you Helmar.

Comment

phone # 541-268-XXXX. email tyeetoo@yahoo.com. looking forward to visiting with you Helmar.
                          I changed the phone number as it IS searchable via the Internet unless its sent under club business or personal.
                          In fact, I have to think about it here as we have several private areas that we locked down and made not searchable on the Internet.

Anyway, I got it and will call.

Helmar
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

thanks for thinking clearly for me!! mike

Comment

Working...
                            X