new engine....for 20 skagit express

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new engine....for 20 skagit express

wow really hot to get a brand new 2015 power house for my skagit project......e tec 90..320 lbs dry wt.......give me some input and thoughts you guysK7A14154CD6B01_1000107.jpg

Mike-
    The etec 90 is a very well suited engine for the weight and overall configuration of a 20 Skagit. I came across a 17 Skagit express thats a Chuck Carey restoration that now sports a 2011 etec 90. Because the gentleman (talked with him) is using it for fishing in the sound, he has equipped it with extra gear, boxes for gear, etc., he has more weight and needs the extra power. Says he's very happy with the engine and the performance he's getting. Otherwise, a 75 might be adequate for a 17.
    So when you go up the extra 3 feet of a 20, there's extra weight to consider, but something else enters in, and that's the length of this flat bottom hull. The 20 Skagit's more efficient at getting up on plane, in my experience, seems counterintuitive, as you'd think it was creating more drag due to more surface area.
    Have had discussions with a 20 Skagit owner in the La Conner area with a 2006 90 etec. Says the engine is never straining on acceleration with 4 adults onboard. Very easy to find a prop for any of the new engines to get the sweet spot of performance.
    To me, a large concern is- does an engine weigh too much for this boat ? A 90 etec still weighs 50lbs less than a 90 Honda, 90 yama, and getting up to larger 115 engines puts a lot of weight on the average 20 express hull/transom. Reinforcement or rebuilding a 60 year old transom makes for a wise investment for the money put into a new motor.
    The question also comes up, does the boat justify the investment-peace of mind in having new tech on a boat is one thing, the overall dollars spent on the boat can be an eye opener....
    One owner of a 20 Skagit express with a new 90 etec says the acceleration at hole shot isn't fast, it's violent ! 0-35 in 12 seconds.
    Best luck on a choice.

Comment

Mike,

Getting a new engine is a great way to have peace of mind. I put a new 140 Suzuki on my 404 and am glad I did. Starts every time and because it is a 4 stroke, no stink and no premix or oil tank to fill. And it is very quiet. And lots of power. I can do hole shots to 30 in just a few seconds. It is rediculous. Before I put furniture in and re-propped, I was going from dead stop to plane in about 4 seconds, no joke. It was crazy. Most of the time, though, I just put around at 20, which is a great cruising speed around the sound. And because I'm not taxing the engine, I get great economy and expect a long life out of the power plant.

That said, it still comes in a bit heavy at 400lbs but the 404 has a nice flat bottom and supports it with no trouble. I even have the batteries up against the transom on the stbd side. As long as your transom is solid it shouldn't be a problem. If it needs work, or you have a doubt, rebuild it before hanging any new outboard... A few sheets of plywood and some resin are a lot cheaper than calling your adjustor...

The eTech are an attractive motor due to the lower price compared to new 4 strokes. And the look really sharp with the white paint! I toyed with getting one but ultimately decided that the 2 stroke oil game wasn't worth the hassle. It is getting more and more hard to find these days and for the money of a new outboard, I wanted the peace of mind of not having to worry about finding it in a pinch down the road when the eco freaks ban it or make it extremely expensive to use. (That is funny in itself though, because the new eTech 2 strokes are CARB compliant they run so clean).

I've said it here many times here on this forum (and here I am saying it again), but Bart at Port Angeles Power Sports is a great way to go for new power. Year old or so crate motors for steep discounts.

An example:
      http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/4875952654.html

140 Suzuki for $9,800. Yes, its WAAAAAY more power than that boat needs (or my 404 for that matter!) but it weighs less than a 115 by a few pounds and can go on ANY boat in the future if you want. That is a $15k engine. 35% off is a good motivator! I don't see any lower HP engines listed, but he moves a lot of equipment, so check back or just call him and tell him what you want. He can find it...

Regardless of which way you go, figure another $1500 to $2000 in rigging and mounting no matter what you get. I went with white Suzuki gauges and they look really sharp on the older boats. The black gauges just look cheap IMHO.

Good luck!
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I have a 90 Merc on my 18 Skagit. This engine is the same block as you find on the 115 Merc and even smaller engines than the 90. Chuck said excellent results with 115 on his 20 express. The Coast Guard has rules now that define engine application for various size boats.

Mercury as a whole line of small to medium four cycle outboards. Worth a look in my view.
        Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
        16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
        17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Hm. I was curious so I looked it up.

MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER – The maximum horsepower
          information listed on the capacity label is a guide for
          selecting an engine for a boat. It’s not a violation of Federal
          Regulation to install or use a larger engine. Boaters should
          check state regulations for restrictions. They should also
          take a look at their insurance policy regarding horsepower.

http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/Na...ing_Safety.PDF
          Page 4.

The sky is the limit! Seriously, though, these old boats have no build plates as they weren't required until 1972. A boat like my 404 is very much overpowered, but just because it is there doesn't mean you have to use it.
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze View Post
            Hm. I was curious so I looked it up.

MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER – The maximum horsepower
            information listed on the capacity label is a guide for
            selecting an engine for a boat. It’s not a violation of Federal
            Regulation to install or use a larger engine.

You are absolutely correct. Where I got confused was with formula that is used to correct calculate the maximum number of people that can be carried by a small boat. It turns out that while I wanted a bigger motor than a 90 on my 18 like say a 115 that was all the dealer would put on it. I thought it was because either State Law or other limited how big a motor hecould put on the boat.

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

Dave, you are our Tech guy and thanks for doing what you do...

I remember a couple of Skagits that were pretty much, Over powered.
              Marty had put on a 115 Suzuki and was never able to open it up as at a certain speed, those flat bottom hulls just started porpoising, Violently.
              Seems to me you get up to close to 40mph and, Game over.

Chucks Dorsett (built and designed in the San Francisco Bay area) would get up and flat Haul as if you kept that deep keel bow down.
              These bigger old girls do not Prop walk worth beans.

Just my
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I had twin 90s on my 1956 Glasspar Mariner it ran great, My Father in law put as safety feature for ocean fishing. Top speed 38 mph. At that speed if you moved in the boat or it would start turning, definitely exceeding hull speed. I took one off and am very happy. 28 MHP at WOT. By the way, It is for sale.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 56glasspar; 02-11-2015, 07:08 AM. Reason: add pictures

Comment

Originally posted by 56glasspar View Post
                  I had twin 90s on my 1956 Glasspar Mariner it ran great, My Father in law put as safety feature for ocean fishing. Top speed 38 mph. At that speed if you moved in the boat or it would start turning, definitely exceeding hull speed. I took one off and am very happy. 28 MHP at WOT. By the way, It is for sale.
                  Not sure why I didn't realize you were from Oregon.....Nice Shop !!!.

I think that Glasspar's hull was designed a little better than most....

Nice engine, any trading for it I need a engine for my Dorsett project, that would scoot her right along too....
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                  X