So the zanny crew finally found a new ride

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the zanny crew finally found a new ride

Just bought a "new" boat to replace the illegal 1965 Performer. (which is still for sale and willing to discuss all offers)

Drove 3 hours from Bellingham to Lake Taps (3rd weekend in a row) to check her out and would have brought her home but the trailer hasn't been used since 1977 and there are no lights, wiring or plate...

1969 17' Chris Craft Cavalier
    230 hp 327Q V8 (estimated by Chris Craft @ 43mph)
    Seats 6 - 8 (comfortably)

Is a true diamond in the rough, has been on a boat covered boat since 1977 so the interior is nearly perfect and original, the plexiglass windshield is absolutely mint!! and the deck paint is actually not oxidized. Although the hull paint is a little worn from rubbing on the dock for 32 years.. Bought from the second owner who rebuilt the motor in '98 and hasn't used it since...

And the best part of all.. It's a four stroke ski boat (can be used on lake whatcom) but its also still a rare classic so I can still particapate in this wonderful family of boating enthusiasts!!!

So here are few pics of an identical boat in ohio (we forgot our camera)
    Attached Files
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

That's great Brian can't wait to see her!!!

Comment

Nice score.
      1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

That is awesome! Ummm, you won't be doing a slough run in that one will you??? LOL

Greg Jr.

Comment

Great looking boat! The Q's are a great motor as well. Let me know if you need a hand with the trailer, or a place to work on it. Would be glad to lend a hand! Congratulations!
          BRIAN FRANCHINI
          LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 3926
            Great looking boat! The Q's are a great motor as well. Let me know if you need a hand with the trailer, or a place to work on it. Would be glad to lend a hand! Congratulations!
            Actually, funny you should mention that... I am planning to go down tomorrow (tuesday) afternoon and pick it up. Depending on my friends work schedules I might be in need of a driver to drive either the truck & trailer or the boat from the current owners house / dock over to the private Taps Island boat launch so I can get it loaded up. We believe the trailer is sound enough to haul the boat home, but I am just taking it to bonney lake where our race boat shop is and there I have access to any tools or supplies I could possibly need..
            Brian Flaherty

Comment

Originally posted by GregS, post: 3924
              That is awesome! Ummm, you won't be doing a slough run in that one will you??? LOL

Greg Jr.
              Well there is already talk between my father and I about how to get a boat like this down the slough. He took a 17 foot Century (woody) down the slough in the early 90's by inflating a truck inner tube under the rudder and shaft in order to get it over the weir and through the willow run. Unfortunately for me, that was done about 5 years before they started the "Salmon restorations". And he actually won the ACBS's "Oops award" for destroying his prop half way down...

Long story short, we will have to see how much money I have by then to be able to pay for the repairs.. :eek:
              Brian Flaherty

Comment

Hey Brian,

I could probably help you out tomorrow if you need it.
                I live about 5 miles from Tapps & work sales in Kent so I can sneak away from work if needed.

Brian
                Belslip@hotmail.com

Comment

Awesome boat Brian, nice find! Good looking classic. Keep us up to date on its progress!
                  Kent & Diane
                  '58 Westerner

Comment

Brian, I would be glad to give a hand as well. I work from my home office at the Lake and only have to schedule around kids getting home from school at 3:15. Just give me a shout if you need a hand, driver, bailer, or just plain moral support!

Brian
                    (206) 423-4644
                    BRIAN FRANCHINI
                    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Yes, Great Boat!

Brian -

Really nice to see a classic-glass inboard from that period, since they're surprisingly rare. (Or at least we don't notice a lot of them being restored.)
                      Very nice find, Brian--we hope you can get it ready for Alder Lake...

- Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Sweet ride for sure. Congrats!
                        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                        Past Affairs:
                        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by FINS, post: 3938
                          Brian, I would be glad to give a hand as well. I work from my home office at the Lake and only have to schedule around kids getting home from school at 3:15. Just give me a shout if you need a hand, driver, bailer, or just plain moral support!

Brian
                          (206) 423-4644

So the plan is for me to arrive at lake taps between 3:30 and 4 this afternoon. I will be paying for it, then taking the trailer somewhere to rewire, install lights and give a quick health check. Then back to the lake to pickup the boat. We are most likely going to take the trailer to the race boat shop to do the work, but I will most likely still need a driver to get either the truck or boat around to the launch ramp. I will post or call if I need assistence.

Thanks to all for the support and offerings to assist. This is why I searched high and low to find a glassic, this group is like a big family...
                          Brian Flaherty

Comment

I will be around all afternoon and more than willing to get away from the computer screen! I assume it is a runner, but can also have my boat in the water if needed with about 10 minutes notice. If nothing else to drink a beer on the bow, wait... thats champange... and you hit the boat with it... and thats for a launching. Oh well, there has to be beer invloved somewhere with the purchase of a new boat, right?
                            BRIAN FRANCHINI
                            LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Brian,

When I took delivery of Rhapsody in Tahoe. I brought a bottle of Champagnme and the builder (Dana Phillips) almost had a fit. That is untill Kathie produced the Champagne flutes. I think he was going to refuse to sell me the boat if I hit it with that bottle.
                              Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                              Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Working...
                              X