New Dorsett in the Fleet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dorsett in the Fleet

It all started out on Monday when I took off for Modesto Cal. for a Dorsett San Juan. Owner said he was looking for a partner or would sell for $500, when he found out I lived near the islands he said he would give me the boat for free if he could come up and use it for a few days in the summer. Sounded good to me and he assured me that the stringers were good and also the transom. Being in Modesto I thought he knew what he was talking about and they don't get alot of rain ,so off I went to get it. Drove all night and arrived at his house and the transom was full of dry rot and the floor felt like I was walking on a mattress. The trailer was also a mess and needless to say it was bad enough that I didn't even want to haul back a free boat ! I left his house to head back north to beat the traffic and I got ahold of Eric (goofy for glass) Cederholm (Not sure of his last name who has a real live boat farm in the mountains outside of Sacremento "Yuba City" he said he had three San Juans for sale. I made arraingements to meet him the next morning . That night Sarah said she found a Catalina in Napa Valley for sale on Craigs list and it looked good. I called that guy and said if I didn't find one at Eric's then I would come over and look at his. Eric had alot of boats but everything that looked good he said "Thats my Baby" and its not for Sale. I will post some picture of a real live boat farm ! That was a waste of half a day so I called the guy in Napa and headed over there to look at his boat. Thats wher I struck gold. It was great , 1964 Catalina original gel coat brand new upholstery cushions in the cabin All original splater paint in the bilge and cabin, Etc. Etc. My whole journey took 4 days and 2100 miles but I have her home and should have it in the water soon. Plugged in the trailer and it had a short that blew out the harness in my car so I had to get that fixed and I also had to put a new kit on the trailer . Owner of the boat was real nice and gave me a place to stay while I did the work but it was a real labor of love to get this boat home.Now I have a nice bay boat to go with the row boat and the Skagit Convertable. This is the last boat !!
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

That is one nice looking Dorsett ! All of that trouble and it paid off . Nice paint job you did too ! lol I bet the seller wishes he had taken the time to rub and wax it out before placing the add. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Last boat! Who do you think you're kidding
      Rick & Sarah

Comment

nice find.

Comment

Nice, i,ll be getting my Faralon on Monday or Tuesday.This is my last classic too.

Comment

Congratulations Rick!

Nice Catalina! I especially love that color. I can't wait to see pictures of the "boat farm". Sounds like a reason to go visit Yuba City! Allan

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 4687
              Last boat! Who do you think you're kidding
              Is this comment from Shara? See you tomorrow if your gonna be around.

Melanie
              1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Hey Sarah, I take "trade ins " on 1964 Catalina's for Farallons. Trader Chuck
                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Outstanding boat! Come over to Lummi Island and we could go boating the San Juans together. Becky and I have a 17 foot Larson Sea Lion cruiser. Not pretty like yours but it does float and, after some $3,000 into motor repairs last year, we have great expectations. Taking it down to Eliza Wednesday for crabbing.
                  Jerry
                  There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Better not set on my gear !! We will be there Wednesday probably in the Skagit or maybe in a friends boat " Lorina Lee " might see you out there! That comment about who's kidding about the last boat is from Sarah ! She's got the fever worst than me . It's a good thing she didn't get the taste of speed with Frankenmerc's G-3 and Doug G's Powercat -- I'd be in big trouble
                    Rick & Sarah

Comment

Nice...

Great find and good determination, Rick! You're turning into a genuine glasshead, for sure...

- Marty
                      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty,

I seem to remember that you helped start this obsession last August or September? In fact I'm pretty sure Marty Loken was one of the first names I heard around the house. Followed by Bill Roberts and Chuck Carey, Melanie, Strobee......

Can't say I regret it though. This is the first hobby we both have enjoyed. He gets to build, I get to shop and we both have fun on the water! Sarah
                        Rick & Sarah

Comment

Sweet, Attached below are the 1964 Catalina pages from the dealer brochure,

NOTE the Catalina has a Homelite outboard, Textron who owned Dorsett in 1964 also owned Homelite.

Todd Embs
                          Attached Files

Comment

Love our boat

Hi I'm new to the forum we just bought a 59' " catalina" ours is a project w/o motor.

What size is your motor is yours?what year? long or short shaft> I'll be looking for a motor that is balanced and suited to our boat. let me know how your set-up works
                            Thanks Delvel

Comment

great story...

...Great find!
                              Congrats and good sailing .

Delvel

Comment

Working...
                              X