wiring and steering info for a johnson fat50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering photos

Ron...The one on the right looks like the one I used. Not expensive, and on the shelf at Tacoma Boaters world before they closed. It is in the Catalog. Only part I had trouble with was drilling (AAARRRGGGHHHH#%$&%) thru my boat. I hate that. Photos attached. Steve
    Attached Files
    Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
    1955 Mansfield 17' express
    1960 Rynell Jetabout
    2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

photos

I meant the one on the left !!! ST
      Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
      1955 Mansfield 17' express
      1960 Rynell Jetabout
      2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

ok cool thanks for the pics that gives me a better idea. i just realized somethin i have almost the same deal on my older fiberform that has the sheat and wut not thru the transom to the lower unit and is the same size think it will work?here is a pic
        Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro
        1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Comment

steering bracket

Hi Ron,
          I found the end link for your cable and located the bracket that bolts on to the motor. My friend gave me the link and then got on the computer to locate the bracket. There is one at Commencement Bay Marine and ten of them at Seaway Marine in Seattle. They cost about $19.00 plus tax. I could pick up the one in Tacoma for you if you will be coming over on Friday. Let me know.

Larry
          Larry Ellingson

Comment

ok cool i'll just stop by seaway marine on my way home and pick it up.thanks for the help.much appreciated.see ya fri
            ron

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

steering bracket

Originally posted by ron12, post: 4825
              ok cool i'll just stop by seaway marine on my way home and pick it up.thanks for the help.much appreciated.see ya fri
              ron
              The part number for the bracket kit is #380306.
              Larry Ellingson

Comment

ok thanks abunch were you able to see from the pics wheather or not it has a magneto?

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

fat 50

Originally posted by ron12, post: 4828
                  ok thanks abunch were you able to see from the pics wheather or not it has a magneto?
                  Hi Ron,
                  Yes, yours is the one with the magneto. I also did not see a generator on it.
                  Your electrical boxes have regulators in them and one of them looks like it is for a 75hp. When you come over, we can take a pic of my wiring box which has a decal showing the wire colors and hook up diagram. You can use one of your boxes and just remove the regulator. For the time being I think I would not worry about a charging system. The only load on the battery is when you hit the starter. Just buy a new battery and plug it in to a motorcycle battery tender when the boat is sitting in the driveway.
                  Larry Ellingson

Comment

fat 50

Did I see your fat 50 at Shelter bay, or was it just like yours?

Comment

probly just like it havent been in the water yet.maybe this weekend.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

ok so i got the junction box all wired except for two black wires from each harness the one in the ignition harness has a black stripe and solid black the motor harness has two black wires is that the choke? if they are not hooked up right is that gonna harm anything? don't wanna try and start the motor unless i know they are correct.also if anyone has a pic or diagaram of how to hook up my ignition wiring to my ignition that has four posts. thanks larry for that great motor hopefully will have her running today.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

wiring

Hi Ron,
                          Sorry I haven't been on line for a while. We have company and all that that entails. On my boat wiring harness the green wire that comes off the battery terminal on the solenoid goes forward to the choke switch. There is a factory jumper coming off that connector to the ignition switch. There is a green dot on one of the switch terminals that indicates where the green power wire connects.
                          The choke wire in my harness is red. This connects to the other terminal on the choke push button. The choke solenoid will activate with the key on or off.

On the key switch, directly across from the green power wire, the white starter solenoid energize wire is connected. This should have 12 volts when the key is turned to the crank position.
                          The other two terminals on the ignition switch are where the magneto shorting wires connect. These wires are black on my harness and have knife connectors on them.
                          I would strongly suggest that you make your connections at the dash and then check your functions at the box. remember that the two mag wires at the switch should never have any power to them. When checking the ignition switch with an ohm meter, the mag wire terminals should have continuity when the switch is off and be open circuit with the key in the run position.
                          I hope that this will help and that I haven't been too confusing.
                          Best of luck, Larry
                          Larry Ellingson

Comment

ok cool i've thumbed thru the book and the wiring diagrams i found have diff colored wires than what i have.so this will help me more thanks again.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Working...
                            X