Farallon Passes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farallon Passes

Greg Silcox and his daughters and friend and i took the Farallon (Chippewa ) out for sea trial on Lake Stevens after BillR set the timing on the Merc Black Max a few weeks ago.She ran great ! We spent about a hour and a half checking her out at different speeds cornering and adjusting the Motor with the Bennett auto tabs. The nice thing is you can bring her down to 22 mph and still have it on a decent plane. Greg took the wheel and liked the way she handle as well. We zip her back and forth over some of her own waves and I'am sure that 17 gal of foam under the floor helped a lot. She goes thru waves like a magic carpet. Now to take her out on some events. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

So Chippewa, we'll see ya around Fidalgo? Maybe even Suscia? Somebody has to give Marty's Behemoth a run for size...
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Chuck, I was thinking about taking her around the Fidalgo outing and the Sucia Island cruise. Echo

Comment

Chuck, you keep the cleanest boats on the water. Lookin' good.
        Robert Augur

Comment

I love that boat! we will be putting along side soon my friend. Glad the stack is runnin good for you.
          John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Very nice....

Comment

Okay Chuck. Don't scare me off for the around Fidalgo trip. I'm planning to go but that comment about how you slowed down to 22 mph and it still planed has me worried. I think I'm flying when I hit 22 mph. Just how fast do you guys cruise?
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jerry, Don't let that scare you off. I think we go in the range of 17-20 mph depending on the water conditions. At Lake Stevens yesterday, i had it down to 17 mph and it still did well as far as trying to set the planing goes. The 25 gal dual gas tanks are up by the bulkhead in the cockpit Marty & Joe move them up as much as they could from the orginal tanks area plus the fact most of the weight of the Farallon ( 3240 lbs ) is now forward except for the motor and batteries. The whole secret about the Farallon model is seeing over the cabin roof. That's why the seats are the way they are ( little higher up than the orginals and that step up in the photo so you can stand up if you have to help in docking her ) and i installed a bow rail with a burgee "out there" so i can see where the bow of the boat is ,but you get use to looking farther ahead in the water ( logs and stuff ) than say on the Skagit. lol Between using the motor trim tilt and the Bennett trim tabs with the auto pilot on ,it keeps the boat on a decent plane at slow speeds. The fastest i have had it up to is i think about 38 mph. I know you did not ask for all the extra things i told about ,but once i started to type my fingers just took over. Best,Chuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Our Big, Slow Boat...

Chuck -

When we do the 'Round Fidalgo Run, we'll be aboard the Luhrs 27-footer...and we'll need a head start on everybody because we only cruise at 10 mph (yes, that's T-E-N, as in a fast jog or very slow ferry ride).

Our plan is to rendezvous with the rest of you just outside of Deception Pass, maybe at those floats in Bowman Bay, and then begin our slow circumnavigation of Fidalgo. The rest of you will dart ahead, of course, but maybe we'll catch up if you make a lunch stop somewhere (Anacortes marina, or maybe LaConner?) We're planning to overnight Saturday night on the boat, perhaps in Oak Harbor or Langley, and get home by rounding the southern tip of Whidbey Island and running across to Marrowstone.

- Marty and Mo
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks Chuck. I'm not afraid of high speed boating (over maybe 20 mph) but I must consider the comfort of my guest. Comforting to know I might be able to keep up with Marty. BTW, Marty. When I was at the harbor in Anacortes last summer, there was no where to eat except a tent that served a pretty good clam chowder. They dozed the nice little restaurant that used to be there and put up a parking lot, if I remember correctly. Of course, a lot might have changed in the past 12 months and there are good places to eat in LaConner.
                    Jerry
                    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                    X