Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Boat Camping the San Juans

Hello All,

We are departing tomorrow for a week of boat in tent camping in the San Juans. Our plan is to take the ferry over to Orcas and launch from Orcas. Our primary desination is Sucia. Any advice on where to launch that will allow overnight trailer parking?

We are also wondering about purchasing a really stable inflatable raft / dinghy for this trip since we will probably be anchoring or using a buoy. Our boat is a 16' runabout. Any recommendations on a good brand and on towing something like this? We'll be passing West Marine on the way...

Last, any suggestions on selecting a spot among the numerous coves and anchorages around Sucia? We will be tent camping with a six year old. A good swimming beach would be great.

Thanks very much!

Boat Camping in the San Juans

Lauryn -

Sounds like you'll have a great week...

Years ago I trailered a small boat to a rustic resort at the extreme north end of Orcas, where there was a simple but usable launch ramp. (At least it worked fine at medium and higher tides.) I forget the name of the place, but I'm sure you could find it by following one of the few roads that goes out to a beach at the north end of the island. Maybe others know of other, or better, ramps on Orcas...

We used to love beach-camping in Ewing Cove, at the northeast corner of Orcas, but you'll have to check with rangers to see if that's even legal these days. They seem to have gone to a more controlled campsite system, not allowing visitors to freelance campsites away from the developed areas of the island. Fossil Bay is the most popular anchorage and it also has what might be the most shallow beach for swimming.

Inflatables can be light and easy to tow, and the cheap ones are fine if you mainly want a lifesaver--not an inflatable that's capable of running with an outboard motor, etc. The least expensive West Marine-brand inflatables aren't cheap at all, so I'd probably recommend buying a Sevlor or other cheapie and giving it a try. (The big experiment will involve tow-rope length....how far behind your boat to tow the thing without having it lose control, become airborne, or otherwise be unruly back there.)

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

My latest info in my library (2008) shows only 1 ramp on Orcas.
      West Beach Resort & Marina. It's about 6 or 7 miles to Sucia.
      360-376-2240
      1-877-937-8224

I agree with Marty. West Marine is going to be VERY pricey. I have and would recommend a Sevylor inflateable. You can get a whole "kit" (boat, pump, oars) for around $100.00. Might be available at Wal-mart in Oak Harbor. Works great for getting to the beach.
      I don't try to tow it. The shape would probably cause a lot of drag. I inflate it when I get to my destination. It only takes 5 or 10 minutes.

Have a great time.
      Dave

Comment

Camping on Sucia Launching from Orcas

Howdy Lauryn,
        I lived on Orcas for 22 years and often camped on Sucia. Launching from the north shore of Orcas, there are a number of choices.

Bartwood Lodge has a ramp and probably a place to park your rig. There is West Beach resort, also a ramp. Beach Haven Resort. Can't remember what they have?? ALso Smuggers Villa next to the airport. Mike Stolmeier the manager. Ramp and dock. Northshore Road dead-ends at the water on the north shore of Orcas. Gravel beach, but on a high tide, you can launch there too. Not sure about leaving your car and trailer there? It's right next to Smuggers.

AS far as camps sites on Sucia, I prefer Fox Cove which is the west side of peninsula that forms Fossil Bay. Enter between Little Sucia and Sucia. There are many wonderful camp sites there. I ususally try to snag one to the south overlooking the channel between Sucia and Orcas. The bay in Fox cove dries on low tide and wading and playing in the water is perfect for kids of all ages.

AS far as inflatables go, I'd look on line for a used hard bottom inflatable. The extra weight of the fiberglass bottom means the inflatable will remain stable towing at speed even in strong cross winds.

Probably not necessary to take a dinghy or mooring buoy. I usually careen the boat on the mud bottom. Take a tide table so that you can leave when you want.
        Have fun.......!!!!

McSkagit

P.S. I'll post more pictures soon......
        Attached Files
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

I'd second Tim's comments. Fossil Bay is very busy in the summer and Fox Cove is great unless you get a strong wind from the NW. Of course, you will be onshore so, if you find an unoccupied buoy, go for Fox Cove.
          I'd also grab his offer of the loan of his inflatable unless you are planning to use it a lot. Check Craigslist for a hardbottom inflatable. I've owned a couple of the other kind and they don't compare.
          Jerry
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Tim. You really should look for a new hat. Mike.
            1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Thanks everybody for the great advice! We will be checking out Fox tomorrow night.

As far as the raft / dinghy is concerned, I think we will get one of the cheapies for this trip and then use it later just as a fun float. When we get back we'll look for something more sturdy and long term on craigs list.

Tim, thanks for your offer. If we knew the area better, were more experienced boaters, and I knew we could take good care of it, I'd take you up on it. But for now I think we'll do better with the cheapie.

Have fun next weekend!

Lauryn

Comment

Working...
              X