What are you working on ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmar
    started a topic What are you working on ?

What are you working on ?

I can see folks logging in so let the rest of us know what project you are working on or need any help with

• davriker
    replied
    Hey Griffin.doane! Project looks like quite the handful! Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• Griffin.doane
    replied
    Hello everyone! I recently joined this group after a google search for the "free boat" I got from my neighbor lead me to this community of classic boat owners.

I'm really not sure how to post yet so I figured I post to an ongoing thread...

My fiance and I recently received this boat from a neighbor that had it sitting in their yard for years and wanted it gone. After a Facebook post on the PNW boating group wondering what exactly it was, someone was able to identify it as a Robert's Mini Craft (maybe one of the members here).

I have taken on the project of restoring it to pristine condition. I have experience in restoring our 1967 custom built 53' trawler that we now offer as an Airbnb in Gig Harbor, WA. My goal is to restore this boat to appear as though it is brand new. We get married in Roche Harbor in June and plan to have this boat as our "just married" cruise around the harbor after our ceremony.

I don't know anything about this boat at all, so any information would be appreciated. We do not have a motor for it yet so I'd be interested to hear about performance with a 20hp vs 25hp. I have seen the post of the evinrude 25hp 2-stroke on the red/white boat. Thinking about the 25hp Yamaha as it is the lightest 4-stroke on the market.

I will try to keep posting updates of the restoration here as much as I can. Thank you in advance for any information. I love old boats and talking about everything boating. My main experience is with larger boats that we offer as short-term rentals / Airbnbs, but I've found a new love for this smaller runabout. I'm located in the Gig Harbor area. Happy to be here!

Leave a comment:

• Helmar
    replied
    Now I am working on another 58 Skagit 20 express. Will share some pic;s soon.
    Helmar

Leave a comment:

• CaptTPT
    replied
    Hi all. New to post here. Member for a year but too busy with building new home and the numerous projects that go along with that, including my shop. Recently started work on my barn find - 1951 CC Racing Runabout. Has not seen water in 13 years. Needs work! Previous owners wife got the boat in divorce settlement in Idaho. No info available. She basically gave it to me. Now working on getting engine going. Should be able to hit button in a couple of weeks. After that will be working on side planks. Wood is so dry even Oregon humidity in winter not doing much to swell. Looks like previous owner did sloppy job with varnish. Appears he varnished when wood was dry and side plank gaps were present. Clearly some varnish in gaps. Looks like he put Sikaflex in a couple of gaps. Question now is what to do to get some moisture in that wood. Humidity certainly not doing the trick. Recommendations for getting this thing to swell up a bit? Seriously need to close some gaps.

Leave a comment:

• Helmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart59Dodge View Post
    Working on (5) Cutters

59 Cutter Cabin Cruiser is getting folding side mount helm seats, a new main cabin windshield, and I'm building the form for a flying bridge windshield, Then it gets fitted for a Bimini. Finally it will get a new rear bench seat and have the helm seats and cabin interrior cushions upholstered to match.

60 Cutter Tornado just got her new compete top. Still needs a carb rebuilt ( rebuild kit purchased and shipped ), and then tune all carbs. Some much needed rewiring, probably will rebuild the entire harness. Also am considering getting rid of the kicker motor mount on the transom and patching the transom for "some day" dual McCulloch 60 Flying Scotts.

59 Cutter Jet DeVille, is new to me this October, but initially it looks like it needs relatively little.. Evaluate the transom, Set up for a Homelite Short Shaft.

60 Cutter Jet DeVille, Needs new finishing to Hull and Topside. Have a few power options in 40 or 45 HP Royal Scotts.

58 Cutter Jet DeVille, Considering selling just to thin the fleet. If I do hang on to it then a new transom and complete refinishing are in order. Again it would be outfitted with a 40 HP McCulloch Scott. This unit requires finding emblems and a replacement windshield as well as new seats made from scratch... and a list of other misc. punchlist items goes on...and on...and on. This boat is deep in the back of the pile.

That should keep me busy for a while.
    I would say that would keep you busy for sure. Sorry, I have been way busy myself closing down my shop, so I thought. Looks like I have someone down here (Eugene Oregon) that doesn't want me to retire so I am still selling off some equipment, boats and parts.
    I have what I think is a 40hp McCulloch for dirt cheap too.

Do you know if the Scott Guy is back in business yet ?...That fellow retired or passed away but had Tons of Inventory. I was hoping someone would pick that up and keep selling...I know its been 4 years maybe since he dropped out of sight.

Leave a comment:

• Bart59Dodge
    replied
    Working on (5) Cutters

59 Cutter Cabin Cruiser is getting folding side mount helm seats, a new main cabin windshield, and I'm building the form for a flying bridge windshield, Then it gets fitted for a Bimini. Finally it will get a new rear bench seat and have the helm seats and cabin interrior cushions upholstered to match.

60 Cutter Tornado just got her new compete top. Still needs a carb rebuilt ( rebuild kit purchased and shipped ), and then tune all carbs. Some much needed rewiring, probably will rebuild the entire harness. Also am considering getting rid of the kicker motor mount on the transom and patching the transom for "some day" dual McCulloch 60 Flying Scotts.

59 Cutter Jet DeVille, is new to me this October, but initially it looks like it needs relatively little.. Evaluate the transom, Set up for a Homelite Short Shaft.

60 Cutter Jet DeVille, Needs new finishing to Hull and Topside. Have a few power options in 40 or 45 HP Royal Scotts.

58 Cutter Jet DeVille, Considering selling just to thin the fleet. If I do hang on to it then a new transom and complete refinishing are in order. Again it would be outfitted with a 40 HP McCulloch Scott. This unit requires finding emblems and a replacement windshield as well as new seats made from scratch... and a list of other misc. punchlist items goes on...and on...and on. This boat is deep in the back of the pile.

That should keep me busy for a while.
    Last edited by Bart59Dodge; 10-21-2020, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Helmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Gwilliamson View Post
    We got this 58 skimaster going earlier this summer and took it out twice, does about 27mph with the yamaha t50
    That seems to be about the best power rating for the Skimasters.

Leave a comment:

• Gwilliamson
    replied
    We got this 58 skimaster going earlier this summer and took it out twice, does about 27mph with the yamaha t50
    Longmere lake sterling ak june 2020

Leave a comment:

• Oneuglynerd
    replied
    Indeed I understand

Leave a comment:

• Helmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Oneuglynerd View Post
    Just finished getting my Robert's 10' mini-craft running. Now starting work on a 12' Enduracraft by Dorsett. If anyone knows about the enduracraft by Dorsett I'd like to find out more. All I know is that it's 12' long and supposedly made in 1965.
    Wow. This shows up at the point in my life that I am about to sell most of my boats. Finally got to that point (almost 73) were its hard to work and enjoy them.

Leave a comment:

• Oneuglynerd
    replied
    Just finished getting my Robert's 10' mini-craft running. Now starting work on a 12' Enduracraft by Dorsett. If anyone knows about the enduracraft by Dorsett I'd like to find out more. All I know is that it's 12' long and supposedly made in 1965.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• macattack5
    replied
    I have a 16' 1958 Waconda, looking for any info. found out the were made in Colville,Wa. till 1984 than made by the Yakima Indian nation till 1988. there are no seats so looking for a set of some type on older low profile seats I can glass in

Leave a comment:

• Helmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Helmar, here is an expanded version of What have I been doing? The answer, Way too much!
    A couple of years ago, Kelly Jacobs, Tim Jones, Bruce Bidwell, and I went for a wonderful cruise in the south Puget Sound. Unfortunately, my 1960 Intercepter died as a result of the trip. After spending the next winter taking out the engine and then realizing that it was too far gone, I purchased a 26' wooden boat that had been in a fire (storage unit) and started to salvage parts. The main reason for the purchase was to acquire it's hardly used mid-1990's Chevy 350. The boats name was Wild Iris, but we called it Wild Fire.
    At that same time, I came up with the brilliant idea that I wanted to do The Great Loop (greatloop.org). This is a year long, 6,000 to 7,000 mile loop of the Eastern US and Canada. So, I started to dream and add all sorts of stuff to the boat. I'm just about finished, well maybe?
    We had an official ceremony and renamed the boat from Arthur to Bucket List.
    I was planning on starting my trip this fall, by trailering my boat out to St. Louis. But I've decided to postpone the trip by a year due to everything that is going on in the world. Plus, I will have another year to buy stuff.
    I do want to thank my friend and neighbor, Dave Livesay, for all of his help and guidance. Dave is a retired auto shop teacher and mechanic who loves boats and puts up with sophomoric questions from me.
    And most importantly, thanks to my wife Jody. She has definitely put up with my obsession!
    Stats: 1960 Skagit 25' Express.
    113 gallons gas, 4 tanks
    9 gallon water
    12 gallon waist holding
    3 batteries
    200 watt solar
    15hp 4 stroke outboard
    7' dinghy
    Chevy 350 with Velvit drive
    I think that it is about time to start boating!
    Hi Karl.
    I would think so. Looks as you have done a major overhaul and now time to do the San Juans in gunk holing for sure.
    She is sure looking nice and geared up for a long trip even local.
    Why to go Karl !!!

Leave a comment:

• Karl
    replied
    Couple more pictures....
    15hp 4 stroke "get home" motor Dockstar stern thruster, turns the boat on a dime. My restored 7' dinghy that I rescued from a neighbors yard My 1973 Glastron GT-160, waiting for the rain to stop to launch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X