Thermocraft Boats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocraft Boats

This may not be a cllassic boat question but i sure would appreciate some help. I have been offered a Thermocraft 26' built in the early 70,s. I have spent several hours on the internet trying to track down some info on the company that built them with no luck. Was this company swallowed by another or did they go bankrupt? What was the quality of these boats? Thanks.

Originally posted by paulie, post: 5614
    This may not be a cllassic boat question but i sure would appreciate some help. I have been offered a Thermocraft 26' built in the early 70,s. I have spent several hours on the internet trying to track down some info on the company that built them with no luck. Was this company swallowed by another or did they go bankrupt? What was the quality of these boats? Thanks.
    I myself have never heard of this boat but I am sure some of the Old Salts have here.
    I have a Fiberform from the 70s that is a 24 foot and I do now the foam they used back then has to come out as it was not closed cell and would water log.

Hope others chime in here.
    I know of several people for sure that might know this boat.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Paulie -

Since you're in British Columbia, I'm guessing that Thermocraft is the same company--or an outgrowth of the same company--that in 1958 licensed the right to produce selected Skagit boat designs in B.C. from the LaConner boatbuilder.

Prior to the licensing agreement, Thermolite had been in the business of manufacturing styrofoam coolers. While the name Thermolite would be perfect for a featherweight cooler, it's easy to imagine that they dubbed their line of boats Thermocraft.

Here's a link to our Skagit history story (accessible via the Home Page), including a mention of the Thermolite deal:

http://www.classicboatclub.com/profi...agitboats.html

I don't believe that any Thermolite/Thermocraft boats have appeared in the club or on this forum, ever, so it'll be great to see what you're looking at. Of course, if the Thermocraft was really built in the 1970's it probably bears no resemblance to any '58 Skagit...but we hope you can share photos.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thermocraft

Thanks for the info. I actuaaly started to read the history on Skagit the other day but didn't finish it. I'll get some photos when I go to get this boat (just need to find a suitable trailer). Thanks again.

Comment

Thermocraft

I have a 1962 Thermocraft boat 15 foot. Its a great boat. Small but it came with a 40 hp Evinrude. It has a full top. Heavy boat of course but well built and interior was well designed.I also have a 16 foot glasscraft that is awesome.

Comment

I have a Thermolite 17 with Scott Mccullough Gauges. I imagine it came equipped with a Scott outboard. It was re-powered before I purchased it.
            Picture was taken the day I purchased it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Boy, that sure does look like a Skagit hull to me too
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

by my estimation it is a '58-'60 Skagit hull built by Thermolite. I can't find the production tag. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. Does anybody know where abouts the tag might have been?

Comment

Hull serial number locations

Originally posted by Wonky, post: 16357
                  by my estimation it is a '58-'60 Skagit hull built by Thermolite. I can't find the production tag. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. Does anybody know where abouts the tag might have been?
                  Well, for what I know, the Skagits were on the Port side up under the deck, almost were the deck and hull are joined on the inside of the transom.

Bell Boys could be in other spots but I have noticed most on the Starboard side up just under the dash area of small boats and or under the cabin windshield area on cabin boats just about a foot to a foot and a half down from were the deck and hull are joined.

Anyone else ??
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

thankyou.

I've been brushing the snow off of it the last few days and will be removing the tarp shortly. I'll have a closer look to see if I can find the tag.
                    I'll be looking for a 1958-60 Scott-McCullough 60hp (Flying Scott) in the future to try and rematch hull and motor.

Comment

Thermocraft 20

I was in Egmont B.C. in 1982 and saw a 20 foot Thermocraft that was very close to a Skagit 20. Had more vertical supports in the front cabin window. Didn't take a picture of it.... Dark blue superstructure as I recall....
                      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
                      X