La Conner recap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Conner recap

Today I received a call from the head of the La Conner show apologizing for the way our boats were shown at La Conner. She has done a tremendous job with the La Conner show and feels that we have been short changed and not given the recognition we deserve. Next year the local tall ships such as the Lady Washington are scheduled for the show which should make the show even bigger. Everyone involved with the show will be trying to make it a better show for the trailer boats.
    I was disappointed with the amount of trailer boats at the show. Of the 15 boats displayed by members of the two clubs in the northwest: 12 were brought by 5 members, 13 boats were brought by members of both clubs, and 2 were brought by members of Northwest Classic Boat Club. A total of 8 people brought boats to the show. This is not a very good showing of interest in the La Conner show.
    I have asked myself is it worthwhile to continue working on the show. I have asked myself what are the reasons for the lack of participation by NWCBC. Is it a personal problem with me, is it because of the friction between certain members of each club, or is this something that the club is not interested in doing?
    I truly believe that shows like La Conner are one of the best ways to promote our hobby.
    Clint

LaConner Recap

Clint, you deserve special recognition for all the work you did, prior and during this show. It was exhausting just to watch you 'multi-task' that morning, going 8 different directions at once.

Mid-August is a difficult time to get everyone together. There are so many competing activities. Otherwise I think the town officials should mandate some reserved parking...e.g., tow away the maggots who refuse to move their vehicles. Other than that, lets do it again next year!!!

PS: Pegasus floats...ran around Camano Island yesterday, terrorizing the natives at 20 mph
    Attached Files

Comment

LaConner Show

Clint -

I wasn't there because we were hosting a long-planned family reunion all weekend, but I've attended LaConner in the past and have a sense that trailer-display shows get old after awhile...and that you might not ever have a really stunning turnout because of the static nature of the beast: People would rather be out on the water than standing around in a parking lot. I doubt that a so-so turnout reflects anything else or anything negative--people who've done it before might just feel they've "been there, done that," and a lot of folks are somewhat burned out on boat shows, vs. on-the-water boating events.

ACBS chapters around the country have noticed the same pattern: Many of their long-standing boat shows (in the water as well as in parking lots) have dwindled in popularity because many members simply get bored hanging out talking to strangers about their boats--no matter how much good it does for the club, or how rewarding it might be (the first year or two) to get compliments for your nice old boat. The Pacific Northwest Chapter of ACBS hasn't even had an annual boat show of its own in recent years; the Portland chapter has kept its show going by merging the event into a far larger, citywide Maritime Festival.

Having special draws like the Lady Washington or other Tall Ships will help the LaConner show in general, and maybe generate more excitement among members of various Northwest boating clubs. But if the basic idea is to leave boats in a parking lot, you might be stuck with a sort of glassic ceiling in the number of boat owners who'll be eager to participate.

You've obviously knocked yourself out every year to encourage participation by vintage-boat owners, and everyone appreciates that. It's not about you, or about anything other than the basic format of the event for trailer-boat owners, and maybe a perception by some that the little boats are stuck off in a corner and given less attention than the cars, trucks and larger classic boats that are displayed in the water.

I could be wrong about all of this, but you asked for thoughts...

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

who was actually out on the water Sat ??

After a long day at the show,yes, the shows can be long; we all had a great dinner and some time to socialize with other members in the evening. We even got to sing Happy Birthday to Chuck Carey, who by the way, went to a lot of effort to hang the NWCBC Banner. For those of us who used the Strobee boat farm as a staging area, Clint organized a great cruise on Sunday. He took us under the Rainbow bridge, around Hope Island, through Deception Pass twice and back to LaConner for lunch at the Pub. For us it was a perfect reward for the time it took to bring our boats to LaConner. Thanks so much Clint!
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Rick, I second that as far as all the hard work Clint went to plus letting us keep a boat or two at his boat farm. Personally i had a great day not because i had another "Darn" birthday ( i quit counting a while back ) ,but because we all had a chance to get together and talk boats and after that go to dinner. A few of our wife's went "window shopping " with each other ,that was a nice touch as well.There were also few members that showed up we had not met so that was another reason to to be there. I say lets do it again next year and see if we can get more members from both sides of the fence to take part. Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Clint,
            I had planned on bringing the Sabrecraft this year but my summer took an unexpected turn, my only reason for not participating was not wanting to lose any time working on my boat. I haven't had an operating boat since last Sep and have been working every spare minute to get it going and get on the water. I worked on it Sat morning, took my cousin to the show, and got back to work after the show. I certainly don't have any personal problems with anyone and haven't been at this long enough to be bored with ANY part of it.

I'd love to be part of the show next year and appreciate the work you've done to make that possible.

Comment

It was a great family time for me and my daughter, Kenadi. It was a nice show where you did not have to worry about foul language or inappropriate behavior. This is important and another reason why we need to have a better showing. This is a family oriented club, the LaConner show is too. I did hear several comments from people about how cool the boats were so all was not lost. Hats off to Clint for all of his effort. I will be back next year with a running and a not so running boat.

Greg Jr.

Comment

Personally I enjoyed the intimate nature of the trailer boat side of things...only exception being the cars and trucks interspersed throughout the boats...

everyone was friendly and there was a nice selection of sizes and stages of completion for people to get and idea of what we go through...

I appreciated the amount of time you spent with me telling me about each boat (and when you had owned them ;-p) and watching the Chuck and Chuck show interact with the "civilians" was fun too...

heck even the greeters from ZZ Top with their "Rat" boat at the beginning of the row helped set a friendly down home atmosphere...

we'll be there next year with some part of the fleet...hopefully a running part so we can play with everyone the next day...

...Ric
                '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
                '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
                '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Clint, I sincerely hope that you will hang in there for next years event and if it would help I'll volunteer to be a gopher.

Marty and Richard raise some valid points and like Marty family will always come first. We certainly missed our share of events this year due to family issues. And yes these parking lot events can and often times are boring if all you are there only to show your boat/car. I personally spent about 15 minutes total at the Skagit and McChesney,one pass through the cars and big expensive boats on the water. The rest of the time I spent visiting and a little window shopping. If you do nothing else one should definately plan to attend the dinner buffet.

With the tall ships scheduled to be at the show next year we have a good opportunity to do what I have heard many,many times from people in the club and that is attracting new and younger members to this hobby/sport.Why not do something similar to what this club did for the Tacoma boat show with a table with info, membership applications,photo album with event pics and member boats? How about a potluck lunch? We could have 1or2 boats on the water to give short rides though the channel?
                  This could be a fun event and it's success should not fall on any one persons shoulders.

Clint, if you have the ear of the people putting together next years show I'd suggest that they move the vendors to where they have had the trailered boats to make us more connected to the show and filter people through our displays on thier way to the food.
                  1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Great ideas Melanie! I'd be more than happy to volunteer at a membership table. I think it would be a great way to bring up younger members. I know the Father and son who bought Greg's boat sure looked excited about boating! It would have been a great opportunity to sign them up. Sarah
                    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Clint,Melanie and Sarah, I to would be willing to help. Chuck
                      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I also think Melanie's ideas are good, and I'll volunteer to help next year in whatever way is needed.

Tim

Comment

Clint,

For myself i couldn't come because my wife was just home from the Hospital and I was taking care of her. I would love to come next year, God willing.
                          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

As for the LaConner boat and car show, I own Skagit, 4 of them. LaConner being the Home of Skagits is not what draws me to the area, its the Town and the People.

I think you did a good job Clint and none that can be easy.

Next year we need to get it on the Calendar and make it as we really do enjoy the town.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe it has been on the calendar all year. It was put there when the schedule was made. Clint

Comment

Working...
                              X