G-3 Photo's .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-3 Photo's .....

....from Lake Stevens . ChuckB and i took the G-3 out today ( It has been 49 years since i was in a G-3 again ) for a spin while i shot some pictures. She ran good for the most part, but a tuneup might be in order and some adjustment on the reverse shifter. Need to add a few other odds and ends. Just might take her on the "Around Bainbridge Run" I don't think that would be all that big of a deal. I did it back 1962 with Sheila over to Bainbridge in a boat like a G-3 called a Trophy. It was 14' long with low free board too. It scare her to death then, but she is a lot older chick now lol ! .... Hum maybe she does not remember about that time now ? I don't think so. Would save gas ? I think i will be keeping her for a while anyway. Chuck
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 5893
    .... I think i will be keeping her for a while anyway. Chuck
    would that be Sheila or that cute little G3?

;-p

...Ric
    '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
    '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
    '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

G-3 Test...

So, Chuck, how did the G-3 compare to your memory of riding in one years ago? It looks like you probably didn't encounter any rough water on Lake Stevens, but how did the boat handle, etc?

The last time I rode in a G-3 was in about 1958, on the west side of Bainbridge when we'd stay with my grandparents who lived near Battle Point. Some of the "rich kids" down the beach had a G-3, so we'd go waterskiing with them. (My boat at the time was a worn-out flat-bottomed skiff with a 1949 5hp Johnson, which I was thrilled to have...but the G-3 was an unattainable dream back then.)

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Ric:
        I think he means both!
        It was a little like Dad giving me the keys to the car for the first time, only with him watching. The Glasspar hull design even on the small hull cuts through the chop well, and once on plane the boat can really move! I never really opened it up but the 65 Mrerc at 3/4 open pushed the g3 to over 30. Turns at speed are a thrill as the boat slides through them like you're on a skid pad. I can't imagine what one of these things would do with a 115hp on it! Scary... I have pic's but having the usual downloading and resizing problems. Thanks Echo!
        ChuckB
        "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Marty, Back then i did not even think about the ride. You just try to look like a stud watersking...remember ? LOL ! Out in the middle of Lake Steven the wind was starting to pick up and the waves ( and from other boats towing skiers ) were about 2 ft and a few area's were starting to get a few white caps going but it still did very well. Where the hull slopes down to the floor you could feel the wave hitting the sides some. The faster you went the bow would start to come down like other boats would, but real nice and easy and if you wanting to keep the spray ( if there was any someother time ) coming over the bow it would be easy to adjust to that. I think it could handle rough water very well. However it did like to slide in the corners some as Chuck notice when he was driving her.All and all it was a good ride and i'am happy with the way it preformed. Best,Chuck

Comment

Congratulations Chuck, she looks great on the water!

Comment

Changes on the G-3

Today i decided to change a few things like installing a grab bar ( for the passenger ) and add a bracket for the VHF radio,take out the 12 gal tank ( will just use it as a backup in the Farallon along with the two 25 gal tanks it has ) and installed two new 6 Gals ones with a fuel switch. Installed some clips for the smaller fenders to hang by. I kind of hated putting the grab bar in , but there really is not much of anything to grab onto if need be for rough water. Oh yea a sock for the Reg doc's, Horn, etc. Could not forget that. Going to look into about a 10" ( that way only the black antenna will be above it ) low style slightly tinted windshield. Chuck
              Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, nice Job Lucky..................... Maby put the 2 6gal tanks under the center deck and get a cover to hide the battery and use the leftover space for storage. Hey do you have tilt and trim? Mike
                >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Mike, The tanks will not fit under the center deck. I do have a color keyed custom battery cover. No it does not tilt or trim. Chuck

Comment

Working...
                  X