1960 Bell Boy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Bell Boy

We just purchased a 1960 Bell Boy 16' 265 Express. Does anyone know what horsepower this is rated for? Has a 85 hp Evinrude on it now.
    Also-anyone have a windshield for this model-or any leads?
    Thank you-Jeanne

Don't know what it is rated for but I'd think 85 hp. should work quite well. I go for a little less power for more economy on my boats. I have a 65 hp. Merc on my 18 foot cruiser and a 50 hp. Evinrude on my 17 foot cruiser. Both put the boats up on plane and easily keep them there with two people on board at maybe 3/4 throttle.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Thank you

Thank you Lootas1, I thought maybe a 55 hp to 85 hp would work. With that info I am now looking for a 55 to 85 Merc long shaft with controls. I’m hoping to get her running before your Mason Lake Rendezvous. I believe it is a model 265 1960 express, with a salmon pink hull and black topsides. I will post pic soon.

Comment

Bell Boy

Sounds like a sweet boat! Can't wait to see the salmon-and-black color scheme.

Does it look like this one, photographed in California?

- Marty
        Attached Files
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

You might want to check with Thom Adams for that Merc...he's the local god of all things Merc:

Thom Adams <frankenmerc@comcast.net>

I was just down there (Shelton) dropping my '59 Club Mariner off for an install and was very impressed with both his knowledge and his collection of Mercs (14 boats didn't hurt either ;-)...

I think you'll hear the same from any member who has had the pleasure of dealing with him...

enjoy the boat...Ric
          '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
          '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
          '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Thom is the real deal ! I got a Merc form him and was telling him that I was only getting 4200 R.P.M and he said He would fix that called me back a couple weeks later and said he had a new lower unit for me with a different gear ration and bring the boat back. When I went down he changed it out and adjusted the timing, Carbs controls Etc. Now I get 6000 R.P.M and a nice 30 M.P.H. My 85 H.P. has a real sweet spot at 4000 R.P.M and about 21 M.P.H
            Between Bill Roberts and the Bearcat and Thom Adams (Frankenmerc) and my 85 H.P. Short stack I have been very lucky !
            Attached Files
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Your boat probably looks like this one? Mine is the 1960 404 Express (19 ft loa) My BellBoy has a Merc 1350 (135 hp) and is really over powered. It came originally with a Merc 800 (80hp) I would think a nice Merc 650 would be perfect for yours!

Good luck and please post some pics!!

bob
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X